Korean War Mustangs (Italeri F-51D in 1/72)

Hello modellers,
Some time has passed since my last post, but now I´m back to present the third part of my Korean War trilogy. Today a pair of Italeri F-51D Mustangs that I built last summer as companions for the Sabre and MiG 15.

The Mustang served in the Korean War as a fighter-bomber as it was available in large numbers in the theater, but is said that it suffered the highest loss rates of all aircraft in the combat zone because of it´s cooling system very vulnerable to ground fire.
Had the kits in the stash since 1997 and know that there are better Mustang models on the market meanwhile.
I liked the fact that the Italeri kit allowed the built of a post second World war F-51 from the box with underwing rockets and colorful decals which BTW worked very good .
Except for the Airfix pilot, the models are made from the box but with some modifications. As I like warbirds with easily turning props, assembled the complete engine section, then afterwards, drilled small holes to allow the attachment of the prop as last part of final assembly. It rotates on a small nail as axle under the spinner.
The installation of the wire antennas from stretched sprue turned out to be a little bit complicated as a very well positioned hole had to be drilled into the canopy.
Paints used were Revell and Humbrol enamels, the NMF was archieved with decanted Dupli color silver chrome and misty coats of Humbrol polished aluminium.

My references consisted as always of some issues of Aircraft magazines and Squadron Signal books dealing with the Mustang and the Korean Conflict.
Hope you like the duo
Mario

Mustangs%202%20IMG_2946_zps82nukcax.jpgMustangs%203%20IMG_2941_zpsvshcpelp.jpgMustangs%204%20IMG_2940_zpsqdzcvuqi.jpgMustangs%201%20IMG_2950_zpsjscd5dr8.jpgMustangs%205%20IMG_2956_zps8p5oucwi.jpgMustangs%206%20IMG_2952_zpsbrjp0ljz.jpg

• Like 16

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Its a great surprise to see nice models from your atellier again here!!! BTW This nice kit is one of which I nearly killed anyone to have at least one, and succeed because one store imported a Quantity ordered by a group of people who was enthusiastic with the model and the trouble was that all those people found a source of the said by them "superior" Tamiya kits in WWII version at nearly the same price and, anyway, the store wanted to get rid of them and put the stock in the shelves at discount price, that way, when i had a visit there found just six of the lot, four were bought by one friend who went with me to the store and I bought the remaining two of them with a project as you did (of build one FAG and one korean war vet) in mind, but the son wanted one and I gave one to him.

Anyway, the kit is very nice and built properly with love and care as you did, results in a little masterpiece as we can watch here.

Thank you very much for sharing with us,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Another fine pair Mario :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve for your friendly comment. I appreciate it very much!

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

Its a great surprise to see nice models from your atellier again here!!! BTW This nice kit is one of which I nearly killed anyone to have at least one, and succeed because one store imported a Quantity ordered by a group of people who was enthusiastic with the model and the trouble was that all those people found a source of the said by them "superior" Tamiya kits in WWII version at nearly the same price and, anyway, the store wanted to get rid of them and put the stock in the shelves at discount price, that way, when i had a visit there found just six of the lot, four were bought by one friend who went with me to the store and I bought the remaining two of them with a project as you did (of build one FAG and one korean war vet) in mind, but the son wanted one and I gave one to him.

Anyway, the kit is very nice and built properly with love and care as you did, results in a little masterpiece as we can watch here.

Thank you very much for sharing with us,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi nephew Luis Alfonso!

Thank you for the laudation. I really can imagine how great your surprise must have been ;) ! Have some more Mustangs (Hasegawa and Tamiya) in the stash and as I also have the Microscale decal sheet, plan the "Big Beautiful Doll" for the future. Perhaps can do a bird from Guatemala, too!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Mario..

:wow: MY Favorite War bird Is the MUSTANG. .

I LOVE your IMPECCABLY STUNNING, PRISTINE models.

they are a thing of BEAUTY. .

:heart: :heart:

Love the display base too.

KUDOS :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Hi Houston,

thank you very much :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !

Mario

Nice set of mustangs you got there.

Hi Peter,

thank you for your compliment! Thought it was about time to post something new and found the Mustangs that fit well in the Korea series.

Cheers,

Mario

Thank you Fatboydim and Jerzy!

To Jerzy:

Yes they have exactely the same markings. Wasn´t 100% happy with the first and build a second one. When finished found the differences not so dramatic anymore.

Hope you also have recognized the lack of dust particles for the pros! My new approach: If a model becomes too dusty, I simply build a new one! :)

Hi nephew Luis Alfonso!

Thank you for the laudation. I really can imagine how great your surprise must have been ;) ! Have some more Mustangs (Hasegawa and Tamiya) in the stash and as I also have the Microscale decal sheet, plan the "Big Beautiful Doll" for the future. Perhaps can do a bird from Guatemala, too!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Uncle Mario!!!

Without a doubt anything you will need is at the order, you have to say only what info you need and ASAP you will have it to do a masterwork!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Very nice. The passion you have for modelling shows in your work.

I like the aerial wires through the open canopies, neat work (and the spinning prop's!).

Hi chockhead,

thank you for the comment.

These wires through the canopy are really a difficult task especially if using stretched plastic sprue. If it breakes, you have to remove the canopy again. Think if I ever build another D-model Mustang, will better use metal wire.

Without a doubt anything you will need is at the order, you have to say only what info you need and ASAP you will have it to do a masterwork!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Your help is always appreciated.

Thank you for that!

Cheers,

Uncle Mario