Morane-Saulnier M.S.475 Vanneau V FM 1/48th

Bonjour

My build for this GB will be the MS 475 Vanneau in 48th by FM. I got the kit back in 2010 at the Salisbury show for £10.00 I have taken it out a few times to start got as far as cleaning up a few bits but just put it back as could not seam to get into it. This GB has made me want to do it and finish it. :rofl:

This is my main build I shall do 3 others also this is the one that is my main one to get finished.

I shall use the Berna Decals set 48-32 and the a/c is from CERO 305 at ALGER MAISON-BLANCHE in 1953

This GB is like a Bus mans Hol for me as over 85% of my kits can be made as French subjects still new stuff on the French Sig Stand at shows can not be a bad thing.

DSC_9808_zpsjdjglhpz.jpg

Till for the off see ya

Paul

• Like 5

Woohoo! Love the Vanneau which I consider to be the Harvard's quirky French cousin.

With this being an FM kit I feel you may have your work cut out but I wish you luck an bienvenue!

Edited by Wez

Wez

Yes I think it will be a hard build, but it is one that I now want to do. With any luck I will get the bug and do the other 9 FM - HI-TECH kits I have.

One thing in my planning is they are all Nat-Met or Silver finish so all will be painted at the same time I hope , that's the plan.

Paul

Edited by PaulT 876

I did not even know the Vanneau existed in kit form!!! Never seen a FM kit either... But I have heard about them and it all sounded a bit daunting.

The Vanneau is a truly sexy plane, and there are so many variants that one gets utterly lost with them...

This model is one of the good looking types!

Have fun!

JR

Yes there is 2 kits aim after the other one the MS 474/472 kit so I can do a Hyeres A/C as I go there each year.

I would not go as far as saying a sexy a/c just a good and different looking one that when finished should make people look when on the stand at shows.

Could be a pimped out one as well as stretched out Enzo.

See ya

Paul

Hi

I have made a start later than I hoped but Saturday I spent more time than I wished editing photos they where needed for Sunday, and Sunday I was at the side of a MX track taking photos.

I have come to this conclusion Mish can we extend the GB as I think I need it.

I have in the past when I have got the kit out to start I have cleaned bits up, so thinking ok a head start, but it’s taken over an hour just to put the u/c bay in to the lower wing.

I cleaned up the wings top and lower parts got a nice fit, I then tried to line up the u/c bay resin part after cleaning this up quite a bit if I got the front lined up the u/c leg attachment points where not lined up or you could not see them. I went for lining up the u/c points so the u/c would be ok and then tacked the resin part in at theses points and then just slowly went around the part gluing small bits at a time and holding down till I got it to fit ok.

Then when I put the top wing part in place the wing top part now sits +2mm higher up than before so now have to sand away the resin and plastic to lower the part down to fit.

This will be tonight’s task and do some photos also.

FM kit don't you just love them; ask me in a few months’ time.

Till next time

Paul

Hi Just a quick update.

I have got the wings glued together now just got to clean up the leading and tailing edges.

This took me about 1 3/4 hours last night and just over an hour this morning just to get to this stage a lot of resin and plastic needs to be taken out to get it to fit, the carpet is full of resin an plastic shavings I will post photos tonight when I get back form photo club

Jean Forgot to say there is a 72nd resin kit, its French also of the Vanneau, I cannot think of who it is made by. I have a made up one in my loft which a sig member made many years ago will have to dig it out some time I think it is in the same markings that I shall do this one.

Till later

Paul

Jean Forgot to say there is a 72nd resin kit, its French also of the Vanneau, I cannot think of who it is made by.

That will probably be the Dujin resin kit.

Cliff

Hi my update
I have got the wing cleaned up as far I will go with it just now. The last clean up will be once the under coat shows up what I have missed.

I have cleaned up and glued the rad just got to find some photos to see if the flap is open or close when at rest on the ground.

I also have cleaned up the fuselage parts and test fitted to the wing, some filling at the rear of the wing and the front also should be no trouble at all to do this.

Next up is the inside detail to do.

The photos just a few to show that it is being made would take ages to do a step by step build.

DSC_9837_zpspn0lrvx6.jpg

DSC_9841_zpsv3qlkmv3.jpg

DSC_9846_zpscydmgva2.jpg

Cliff = That is probably the Dujin kit as Dujin was at a lot of the French shows I used to go to with the chap that built the kit, and I know he used to have quite a few chats with him as he spoke French having lived in Lyon for some time.

That's all for now till next time.
Paul

Edited by PaulT 876
  • Like 1

Hi
Not much done over the w/e, glued some of the cockpit bits to the fuselage bits.
I have taped it together to see the size and fit of a few bits.
The rad is going to need a lot of trimming to the mating surface to make it fit.
I have found some photos that show the rear vent open when on the ground.

Some photos.

DSC_9848_zps22lvnmjg.jpg

DSC_9849_zpshibnuzrp.jpg

DSC_9850_zps6cihp3os.jpg

I had the Mustang near by and noticed they look a bit the same. The MS looks like it could be a 2 seat Mustang.

DSC_9852_zpsqhdsjt5w.jpg

DSC_9855_zpsazrnwf4i.jpg

DSC_9858_zpsarqzz7n4.jpg

That all for now
Do more to it tonight I hope.
Paul

Edited by PaulT 876
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi
Not done much this week as been doing the other kits I will get back to this one next week.
A photo of how far.

DSC_9920_zpsajxkhypj.jpg

As you can see not much, I have been looking at loads of photos to see if I need to add things.
The main thing seams to be a rear bulk head I need to fit its not in the kit and a few other detail bits I have noted that will improve the look of the kit.
Till next week
Paul

• 2 months later...

Hi
Long time since last up date, I have been doing the kit most mornings for about 1 hour before I get ready to go to work. It has been a long slog to get to this point I have found that if i try to rush things with this kit you just end up going backwards so it has been two steps forwards and one back most of the time or back to the start of that section if it went wrong.
I have found quite a few photos that have helped a lot and correcting and adding detail that is missing or wrong for the 475 has taken its toll on the time.
Here are the photos and updates I shall do this over a few posts, as it is quite long and many photos.

DSC_9933_zpsvb6s1srl.jpg
I found that there was a bulkhead missing in the rear. I have made this and added some more detail not all is corrected as not a photo of the lower bit only the top so I just made it up for the lower bit it looks ok.

DSC_9941_zpszdb8jpqr.jpg
It looks ok I have added a radio and the Arial wires and power cables.

DSC_9955_zpsigbzjvhi.jpg
The inside painted and ready to close up, had to do the rear detail before close up as will not be able to get to it when closed this took a lot of time and a few back to the start when things just did not look or fit took much to long to do.

DSC_0846_zpsaqrrfsvy.jpg
The panels had to make the pedals for the rear as not in the kit but shown in the instructions and by the looks of it from other internet reviews they seam to be missing from there kits also.

DSC_9961_zps3gvscutl.jpg
The rear bit just before closing up.

DSC_0854_zpsfyf6odgc.jpg

The close up at last, but no matter how many dry fits the rear panel still did not fit so it came out and I will fit it when I close up the canopy.

DSC_0855_zps9dtpxxy3.jpg
The gap at the front end, sorted this later.

That's all for part one.

Paul

• Like 1

Part two
A bit later than planned but the laptop locked up and its taken this long to get it going again.

DSC_9951_zpseld1s1hx.jpg
The 1st go at filling the gap, the other side was just as bad. It took a few goes to get ok.

DSC_0867_zpszfql7xkx.jpg
The rear nose vent, this broke as I tried to take out the mould rubber that was trapped in side it.

DSC_0902_zpsga5htp4u.jpg
The start of the new one its about 80% there just now. A few shaping bits to get right. The brass bit is a replacement for the moulded kit bit which looked naff.

DSC_0907_zpsc4furmql.jpg
More steps back this broke as I was putting in the grill.

DSC_0925_zpseeeyryuf.jpg
The repair not to bad.

DSC_0928_zpsabbwfs2m.jpg
The last bit looks better than just a blank hole.

That's the end of part two.
Paul

• Like 1

Part three

DSC_0868_zpsqnev6w1u.jpg
The Rad it looks a bit plane.

DSC_0874_zps3p72yxlo.jpg
I have used this P-E got it in the 80,s and this is the 1st time I have used this one I have used the square and round hole one before but can-not find them just now, must have a sort out to find them.

DSC_0888_zpsfruebpuu.jpg
A bit of plastic strip and the grill looks a lot better. The front.

DSC_0889_zpswsxhbmaa.jpg
The rear and the filling needed to plug the gap left.

DSC_0911_zpszsa9row0.jpg
Drilling these out and need to cut a grove behind each one.

DSC_0915_zps7rsladp9.jpg
These are some of the kit bits for the nose. Flash more than Gordan I think.

DSC_0923_zpsrozn9nuo.jpg
Fitted
DSC_0921_zpsg34ukd7w.jpg

Yes naff so they are now in the bin and I now have to make new ones from plastic, this is how it has been with this kit all along try kit bits then scrape or mod to improve them.

This is where I have got to so far, aim on hols this week so spending more time on it.
DSC_0933_zpszzzsccjo.jpg

DSC_0932_zpseulz5u6h.jpg

DSC_0930_zpsfp1yurn5.jpg

I have done quite a bit to the nose section still some kit bits to fit, will see how this goes, then a few bits to the fuselage and we shall see how it looks.
I shall stay with this kit and put the others on hold just now as I wish to finish this kit.
I have to say in a strange way aim quite enjoying making it, aim having to think how to over come the kits faults and improve at the same time back to old time modelling and not shake and build.
That's all for now hope to get a lot more done and will update then.
Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

You are getting the better of this FM challenge. Keep it up she is looking good.

cheers,

Mark

Hi
I have got the nose done as much as I shall do to it apart from painting, if I say it went ok you will know aim telling porkies it took a long time.
Here are the photos not to bad I think.

DSC_0935_zpszkdoogtu.jpg

DSC_0938_zpsqxm4vujq.jpg

DSC_0940_zps8rtqrwnl.jpg

DSC_0936_zpsz3df4bwc.jpg

DSC_0942_zps2zuefydz.jpg

DSC_0944_zpsoynvrzhb.jpg
The rad cleaned up just need to do the flap.

Next I shall do some small details that I have seen in photo's, these are on the fuselage an not in the kit.

Till next time
Paul

Edited by PaulT 876
  • Like 1

Hi

FM is wrong for the exhaust. There was 1 exhaust collector for 3 cylinders : 2 exhaust collector lined up on each side.

each collector was in two pièces fitted together, but the front of rear collector was under the outlet of previous collector. Thus we can think that there was 3 exhaust collectors on each side.

Good work on this FM model.

Edited by BS_w

Hi

Many thanks BS_w ( What's your real name cant keep calling you BS_w its not polite) I have just found some better photos and I now can see that FM has got them wrong, I have side views but no top view.

I have also noted from said photos that I need to change and add a few more bits to the nose section.

I have also spotted that the rad at the rear has a second flap aim not quite clear how this should be, and there are 2 support bars at the front of the rad mined this is the easy fix the front one that is.

Many thanks for the heads up and if you spot any thing more just say I would like as much info as I can to get it correct.

It's a few steps back again but all good fun and to think I have 12 more FM / High Tech kits to do how much more trouble can that lot be.

See Ya

Paul

Hi

Many thanks BS_w ( What's your real name cant keep calling you BS_w its not polite) I have just found some better photos and I now can see that FM has got them wrong, I have side views but no top view.

I have also noted from said photos that I need to change and add a few more bits to the nose section.

I have also spotted that the rad at the rear has a second flap aim not quite clear how this should be, and there are 2 support bars at the front of the rad mined this is the easy fix the front one that is.

Many thanks for the heads up and if you spot any thing more just say I would like as much info as I can to get it correct.

It's a few steps back again but all good fun and to think I have 12 more FM / High Tech kits to do how much more trouble can that lot be.

See Ya

Paul

I have found the détail of exhaust in a Hispano Suiza manual for MS 475, I don't have another info about the MS 475,

BS_Waroff

Hi

That's great, could you post it or send it to me vie email.

I have made what I think it looks like but will wait to see the information to see how far I was out.

Many thanks

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks that is the same photo I have but you have a better copy, the drawing is also a great help.

I shall not finish the kit in time, aim about 1/2 way in making new exhausts and the drawings will help a lot.

Tried fitting the prop and found it’s too big and of centre that's being sorted also.

I will post photos over the next few days when I get time.

Thanks a lot

Paul