1/48th BAe Hawk

merlin101

I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago, did a bit of research on the various modelling forums and plumped for the Italeri kit, it seems to have the slight edge over the Airfix kit amongst reviews and builds.

for 1/48 3 choices

you need a classic hawk (T1), not the 100/ 200 series if you do no plan to do the new T2 of the RAF

the newest and most expensive one is the Hobbyboss kit... lots of errors if you ask the experts

the middle one in terms of price and age is the Italeri one, maybe it is shapewise also the best one (the nose is said to be a bit strange)

than there is the absolutely not bad Airfix one, relatively cheaply available, but maybe a bit more work to build!

maybe it depends on the markings you wan to do, or th money you wanna spend for After market decals etc.

in 1/32 Revell brought out a new kit last year which is considered the best at the moment

Edited by exdraken

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2015 at 4:50 PM, merlin101 said:

Thinking of making the RN one with anniversary markings.

Thanks for comments guys!

Dave

we [Fradu now 736NAS, had 7 in the 100years of naval aviation scheme, at this time 4 still survive but without the titles & 100 on fin/rudder. the actual aircraft are standard RAF Hawk T1A's no pylons & no gunpod fitted, the actual 7 A/C were XX157,XX159,XX205,XX261,XX281,XX301,XX337. of these only the last 4 retain the painted fin/rudders.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

• 1 month later...

Searching through the forums I found this as I'm on a Hawk project (amongst others!) at the moment.

I've got both Airfix and Italeri kits and I agree with the above re. the Italeri kit. It is more sharply detailed, but the fin is quite a bit taller than the Airfix one. Any idea which is correct?

Otherwise, they seem to match up nicely when the fuselage halves are compared side to side.

• 1 year later...

Hello all I'm building Airfix 1/48 Hawk 100 series kit. I'm planning the RAAF 76 Sqn air show livery. I've noticed the decal numbers on the placement guide are wrong. Can anyone help with correct numbers?