Walrus crashes into bus-shelter, Azur Loire 130 C1 Colonial

JOCKNEY

As described in the title, it's politely described as unusual, or more accurately as just plain ugly.

image.jpg1_zpsnzuwjp8e.jpg

image.jpg2_zps2kzxmmwr.jpg

I haven't built an Azur kit before, so all advice very welcome, and as for the surrender stripes, your guess is as good as mine.

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

God that's ugly.

It's always amazed me that a country that prides itself on being tres chique could produce such unlovely aircraft! I can only hope it was functional... ...but I doubt it.

Good luck and welcome.

• Like 2

Azur kits are really quite nice to build. BUT not Tamigawafix shake and bake !! Worth taking ones time over it. I am about to have a go at the AZUR Flamant for this GB. Not as complicated as your "lovely" choice though! :winkgrin:

By the way those stripes signify the Vichy French as opposed to the Free French of the time.

• Like 1

Well, I did not know Azur did a "colonial" version (bigger radiator for hot climates). I got the standard 130 when it came out, but haven't dared tackle it yet...

Quite a few things to correct and scratch build, and one needs to really be in the mood.

And it is not ugly!!!! Just a sensible design apt to charming Gallic eyes... OK, I'll shut up!

Be brave!

JR

• Like 1

Azur kits are really quite nice to build. BUT not Tamigawafix shake and bake !!

I have quite a few Azur kits in The Stash and will be building four of them for this GB. They all seem to be nice kits and Jockney's Loire seems to be of a similar standard. One thing I really like about Azur is that the kits are very carefully packaged. The transparencies, resin and decals are always packaged separately in small plastic bags.

• Like 1

Lovely description! :lol: -OK, it may not be exactly curvaceous, but like the dear old Shagbat it oozes 'period charm'. I have seen a 1/48 one built ages ago, and it looked brilliant. No doubt this one will too!

• Like 2

Looks like a melted wellie!

:rofl:

I've just done a bit of research into this aircraft. Have a look at this site:

http://www.aviastar.org/air/france/loire_130.php

The boxart of the kit shows a panel below the windscreen that looks interesting - even more so when you look at a photo of the real thing. Look at that nose! How could anyone not love this aircraft?!?!?

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 1

"Walrus crashes into bus shelter, film at 6:00!" - that was what I was waiting for, actually. And I will admit to a Douglas Adams moment, vis-a-vie a certain falling cetacean.

In all seriousness, that is not an ugly aircraft. It's certainly no beauty, but it's not 'ugly' - my currently-winging-its-way-to-me-from-somewhere-else LWS-6 Zubr is an ugly aircraft; this one has a certain stolid, workmanlike Gallic appearance. If it was Dutch, I'd say it looks like a clog, but seeing as it's French, I'll just shrug and sit down to watch the build.

:popcorn:

Edited by Rob G
  • Like 1

I have this by FM in 48th , now that is going to be a build when I get round to it.

Good luck with this on. the ones I have seen built look good.

Paul

Edited by PaulT 876
  • Like 1

Aero Journal did a piece about the Loire 130 in their Oct/Nov issue last year, I picked up a copy when I was last in France. Has some nice pictures, it's all in French but PM me if you'd like me to scan it for you. It has some nice plans, unfortunately with no scale on them but pretty good for working out the rigging.

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 1

Aero Journal did a piece about the Loire 130 in their Oct/Nov issue last year, I picked up a copy when I was last in France. Has some nice pictures, it's all in French but PM me if you'd like me to scan it for you. It has some nice plans, unfortunately with no scale on them but pretty good for working out the rigging.

Thanks very much, PM on the way.

I realise that no doubt the kit should be modified to better reflect the real thing, but given the time available, and my skills I think better to build OOB, especially if I want to finish it in time !

Cheers Pat

• 5 weeks later...

Have a look back through this thread. It seems that the interior colour of most French aircraft was chamois, a sort of beige colour. I have been using German Dunkelgelb. Cockpit interiors of fighters were dark blue, while those of other aircraft were a blue grey, similar to the uppersurface colour.For my Potez 63-11 I will be using:Uppersurfaces:Lifecolor UA145 Gris Blue FonceLifecolor UA142 French KakiLifecolor UA143 French BrownUndersurfaces:Lifecolor UA141 Gris Blue Clair :welcome: to the GB!

B*gger !

Guess who has just painted the inside of his bus-shelter, err I mean aircraft, cockpit green. Is there a humbrol equivalent of UA141 Gris Blue Clair ?

Well just to prove it photos before and after below, not sure if the paint is correct, but it's closer than it was !

image.jpg1_zpsmz8mz4xk.jpg

Repaint in humbrol equivalent

image.jpg2_zpspw28n5wc.jpg

Now before I paint anything else, what colour are the seats ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of posts, normal reasons work and domestic bliss !

image.jpg4_zpsfe250d4r.jpg

The above shows my first encounter with Resin, that are the tropical parts, not to the uninitiated, how do you get the resin bit you want off the resin bit that's surplus ?

image.jpg5_zps5wjsrda8.jpg

If there is an easier way than this, I'm all ears.

If all goes according to plan tonight I hope to get the fuselage halves together, more tomorrow

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Razor saw and/or scribing and/or cutting disc in a motor tool, as appropriate to size and shape of bits.

Just be aware that resin dust is pretty nasty, once it's in your lungs it stays there - always wet sand it, and use a dust mask if using power tools or if you feel the need for extra protection.

• Like 1

Well after an epic battle with the carpet monster I failed to get the fuselage together.

image.jpg1_zpsf6lysblz.jpg

Progress above on seats but an instrument panel continues to be held hostage by the carpet, and as I am staying away in a hotel, unless it appears this morning it will have to remain lost. The fallback position will be to paint the area black with some white dots, after all I don't know how much you can see once it's all closed up.

• Like 2

You could always book the room for an extra week and spend that time on your hands and knees. A bit of humility never did hurt! Or let the maid hoover and buy the dust bag back. Or molest her as well as it is fashionable!!!

Whatever you do, good luck!

JR

• Like 1

Or let the maid hoover and buy the dust bag back. Or molest her as well as it is fashionable!!!

JR

The maid was old enough to be my granny, and even with "beer glasses" on......... Well you just wouldn't !

Part officially MIA, painted dots on the way !

Cheers Pat