Star Wars AT-ST, AT-AT and AT-DP camouflage schemes

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:55 AM, Mechanised Dwarf said:

I am absolutely in love with this idea! :wub: I was finally able to see Rogue One last week, when I got home I dug the Bandai AT-ST out of the stash and put it together straight away. I am going to shamelessly steal this idea, now comes the difficult part - which scheme to use... the mind boggles :D 

Go for it, I'd love to see what you do with it!

Just in case you're not aware I've started one myself, but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet...................

Cheers

Richard.

9 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

It's two, seven and twelve for me. Great idea for exercising the imagination! Agree that it has to look practical and effective without just replicating something used by the military on earth. I studied zoological camouflage for a bit at at university . A bloke called Abbot Thayer (if I recall correctly) developed a number of principles of zoological camouflage in the early 20th century.  If you can find his book it could provide a lot of inspiration. 

That book sounds fascinating!

9 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

What software are you using? I might have to learn how to do this!

Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

• Like 1

That one looks so cool!!!  Just for fun, how about German Air Force WW1 lozenge camouflage. Initially in authentic colours and then adjusted for different environments.  I'm still loving this thread btw😀👍😀👍

• Like 1

On 27/03/2015 at 4:10 AM, Misrule said:

Always wondered how you got into them? Is there some sort of ladder maybe? I can imagine at a base they would have lifts and stuff but wonder how it works in the field...

Even as a kid that bothered me :P

I always imagined that they would sort of 'sit down' like a ostrich  or a chicken, thereby making the job a bit easier for crew.  Still, the main access was on top as I recall, so it still could be a bit tricky. 

• Like 2

Three new ones for 2017!
gTJZBmt.jpg

ECCG4Cs.jpg

P6A9pfJ.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
Fixed links. Updated graphic design elements.
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Gekko - mate, you've fallen silent! This is my favourite thread on  Britmodeller, what's going on? I don't want to sound demanding but you have a 'fan-base' to keep happy now!!!🤓😃🙃 We want profiles - We want profiles - We want profiles!:ner:

• Like 1

• Gekko_1 changed the title to Star Wars AT-ST and AT-AT camouflage schemes

I've changed the title to include AT-AT's as well since we'll have the new Bandai kit in our hands soon! B)

Trying to design camo schemes for AT-AT's is more difficult than you might imagine.  :wacko: Believe it or not I find designing schemes for the AT-ST easier. I've yet to be able to design a digital camo scheme for the AT-AT that I like, but think it would look amazing in one. With the stunning Bandai kit about to hit my model bench I want to try and get a scheme decided upon ASAP. :penguin:

Anyway guys, let me know what you think of this one and any thoughts you may have on the subject. :popcorn:

Cheers

Richard.

3ce712e5-8cc5-4c28-8224-903602a3d9a7.jpg

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 7

On 4/16/2017 at 2:59 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

I like that one.

Here's a thought, the At At is so big,

how about WW2 ship dazzle camouflage

to break up the shape/size? Would that work?

Yeah, already thought along those lines myself Pete. B)  Here's some of my earlier stuff experimenting with dazzle.

8eb91568-8a5c-472e-91b5-eafa46ec4bec.jpg

7e0b6795-993c-41ad-8bdd-beb94cd4036a.jpg

1049e8ed-7519-435c-a8f2-665f53a70c85.jpg

AT-ATWalkercamo041.jpg

Experiments continue!

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Well, I'll join in since I've just succumbed and ordered the Bandai kit.

Orders in snacking supplies and a comfortable chair in anticipation of another work in progress thread. 

6 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Well, I'll join in since I've just succumbed and ordered the Bandai kit.

It'll surprise absolutely nobody to know that this was heavily influenced by the AT-ACT in Rogue One

Outstanding Andy! It looks very industrial. But what is its purpose? Now, I challenge you, produce a digital camouflaged machine.:wicked: I've tried several times but couldn't end up with anything I liked. I've managed it with the AT-ST no problem, but for some reason the sheer size/bulk of the AT-AT has defeated me. :frantic: I'd be curious to see what you can come up with.:popcorn:

As for the Bandai kit of the AT-AT. I've got it and am slowly building it whilst waiting for various bits to dry of a Gundam I'm currently building. The kit is amazing, as one would expect.

• Like 1

Nice work on the Hoth scheme. I like the orange id bands

On 20/04/2017 at 07:22, Gekko_1 said:

Now, I challenge you, produce a digital camouflaged machine

No, I couldn't come up with a digital scheme that worked well either. Like you say, I think it just looks odd on something so big.

Although it's not really digital, I thought something similar to a Berlin camo might work

33844084250_5cabcf4bcf_h.jpg

This one's more splinter or dazzle, but I quite like the tan colouring

34033807381_7d28519da7_h.jpg

Andy

• Like 6

21 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Nice work on the Hoth scheme. I like the orange id bands

No, I couldn't come up with a digital scheme that worked well either. Like you say, I think it just looks odd on something so big.

Although it's not really digital, I thought something similar to a Berlin camo might work

Thanks.

Interesting. I was wondering if you'd be able to work something out or not. Looks like its as tricky as I thought. I think I'll pursue the dazzle scheme route but with different patterns and colour combinations. And I'll keep chipping away at a digital scheme, you never know............................

Yeah that Berlin scheme looks like it'll work well in a city setting.

Cheers Andy!

OK, trying for a cross between the Caunter type desert scheme and dazzle camouflage. :hmmm:

Tatooine6.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 4