Eduard 1/48 Mirage IIIC - *Finished*

Hi all, this is what I plan to build. i have a question though, the painting instructions indicate areas of zinc chromate underneath. I can't recall seeing any pics with this, is it accurate, particularly at the rear which is shown for both versions I am considering? Cheers.

FFIMG_1437-vi.jpgIMG_1438-vi.jpg

Edited by ForestFan
  • Like 2

Hi, good choice instead!

The area at the back, underneath, could be yellowish at time, due (if I am not mistaken) to the JATO rockets that could be used from time to time.

But zinc chromate????!!! Never seen it.

JR

• Like 1

Well, Modeldecal 37 for their E.C.2/4 Mirage IIIE, Hobby Boss in the painting instructions for their Mirage IIIC and Berna Decals 48-10 for the Mirage IIIC all call up zinc chromate (or pale metallic yellow) for the area around the underside of the rear fuselage but nothing under the mid-fuselage. I always assumed it was an anti-corrosion measure.

I'd suggest checking a lot of colour photos.

Otherwise, welcome to the GB, I love Mirages me!

Wez

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just browsed through some very old magazines and I found a couple of photos of Mirage IIIE in flight from underneath, and that area at the back of the fuselage appears to be a dark Olive Drab...

But nothing near the wheel wells. Having said that I haven't seen photos of IIIC from the same angle...

I know I won't bother with!

If in doubt, keep it simple...

JR

• Like 1

Hi all, just a couple of quick pics to prove (probably to myself more than anything!) that a start has been made. The main u/c bays comprise 6 pieces each which seems overly complicated to me, but that's the Eduard way I guess. Perhaps back when the kit was designed their tooling/moulding necessitated this to give the required detail? Anyway onward and upward!

FF

IMG_1600-vi.jpgIMG_1603-vi.jpg

• Like 1

A little more progress, all straight from the box bar a couple of small wiring looms behind the seat. I have now started glueing the fuselage parts together, lots of fettling, gnashing of teeth and the odd choice word so far!

Cheers

FFIMG_1619-vi.jpgIMG_1624-vi.jpgIMG_1625-vi.jpgIMG_1626-vi.jpgIMG_1628-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

Nice job so far, just one thing French Mirage IIIc'S and most users had D type Face blind handles on there seats not the B type that you have fitted.

I have 5 off these kits on the go and 9 more to do.

I quite like the Mirage.

Paul

• Like 1

Cheers for that Paul, most helpful. I must say that I am finding this kit a bit of a pig to put together, have you developed a foolproof way of assembly? I have built Eduards Me-110 and Fw-190 and now this, and all 3 look great in the box but are tricky to build in my opinion.

I am now thinking of doing the desert schemed aircraft as deployed to Djibouti, would you know what their role was when detached there and typical weapon loads?

Thanks

The a/c used the LFR2 Rocket pod and Magic’s and Guns and tanks, there was a Djibouti recces pod that was local made from spare tanks not known how many made, used on the centre line.

The Mirage IIIC's that were in Djibouti were the only ones that could use the rocket pod and Magic’s not all the C’s went so you need to know the a/c Ser number to know if went out there.

I have not found a way yet, I gave up so 5 are sitting waiting for me to work out a way to put right. I plan once this GB has finished to have a go again from the start to see if I can make better and to over come the fit problems. I have all so done a lot more research on the a/c and found that most kits of the C and other Mirages have the Intakes wrong by the looks of it, still working on that bit and working out what is missing from the kit that can be added, a lot still to do.

Just make the kit and enjoy it if you can.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi, after lots of huffing and puffing here's where I have got to. I ended up bracing the fuselage with 3 sections of spare sprue to help with the fuselage to wing root join. Still plenty of elbow grease required before priming and painting! Still, it sort of looks like a Mirage I think...

FFIMG_1629-vi.jpgIMG_1631-vi.jpgIMG_1632-vi.jpgIMG_1630-vi.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all, as I have now decided on the desert camo example I have started the painting process. Firstly I thought that I'd give this pre-shading a bit of a go, and I have also laid down one coat of blue underneath to act as a base (currently awaiting the correct Gunze Mr Hobby paint from the postman).

Disaster has struck though! When test fitting the windscreen it was a seen to be fractionally not as wide as needed. In an act of blatant stupidity I tried to (gently) tease it wider only to be greeted by the dreaded "crack/snap" noise, yep it snapped straight down the middle. I have glued it together for now but be warned! My options are to either cover the windscreen with a homemade cloth cover (tissue paper/PVA/water) and incorporate this into a mini scene or to try and get hold of another hence a plea in the wanted section.....

Stop press, after contacting Eduard they are sending me a free replacement :goodjob:

Anyway here's a few piccies:

IMG_1633-vi.jpgIMG_1635-vi.jpgIMG_1634-vi.jpgIMG_1636-vi.jpgIMG_1637-vi.jpg

• Like 2