Tamiya Dewoitine D.520 update finished 23-05-2015

Arniec

Hi guys,

I will do a Tamiya 1/48 Dewoitine D.520.It will be straight from the box, with the exeption of some PE seatbelts and different decals.

The decals are from Aeromaster (set 48-095) Dewoitine D.520 collection part 2.

I don't know when I will start it, but I am now commited.

At the moment I am still strugeling to finish 3 models for 3 different GB's,

and in about 2 weeks time there will start for me another one. Busy,busy busy.

Hopefully I can finsh next week 2 models, so the pressure will be a little bit off.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Great choice, as it is arguably the best looking French fighter plane produced during the second World War.

You have my vote!

What colour scheme are you going for?

JR

• Like 1

The Dewoitine D.520 is a lovely looking aeroplane and bucked the trend of pug-ugly art-deco period French aircraft.

Welcome to the GB, I'm sure you'll manage to fit this one in amongst your other GBs.

Wez

• Like 1

Nice one Arnold I love this little fighter was,nt it the French Spitfire?

At least it looked like it with it's beautiful curves.

Great choice, as it is arguably the best looking French fighter plane produced during the second World War.

You have my vote!

What colour scheme are you going for?

JR

I think I will go for a early scheme from 1940. I have another one and that I want to make into a late scheme with yellow/red strippes from Vichy France. But that is not for this GB.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Ok guys, here are the pictures of the box content.

IMG_1701_zpsvocsltgy.jpg

IMG_1702_zpsv8xssvig.jpg

and here the decals and some extra's

IMG_1703_zps4fdf8jai.jpg

IMG_1705_zpsxcwx9nfp.jpg

And this is the scheme I will be building.

IMG_1706_zpsyst4t36h.jpg

I choose this option because I need it later this year for a Blitzkrieg theme from my club.

I hope to start this build after I finish the Tie fighter in the SF GB.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have found out that the first option from the aeromaster sheet was flown from Algiers and not France. Now there are two options from the Original Tamiya decal sheet that are usable. So I will mix and Match one of those for this one.

I have started today of painting the interior colour. I hope to do some washes and detail painting tomorrow. I will do some pictures when it is done.

I will also use the standard wheels and make the kit SOB with some etched seatbelts and different decals.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hi Arniec

Just a word of warning, I was doing some decaling last night mixing up my new decals and the out of the box ones. The out of the box ones have deteriorated very much over time. The tricolour belly stripe for white 6 came off in 7 pieces which caused a number of curses and a fair amount of fiddling to get it into some sort of shape. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

I did find using warm water to release them from the backing made things a bit easier, but the are very fragile.

Hopefully I'll get the rest of them on my model in some shape or form this evening.

Cheers.

Edited by chilling

Thanks for the Warning Chilling.

I only use some badges and some numbers from the tamiya sheet and the rest will come from the Aeromaster sheet.

I used the decals for the instrument panel today and they were usable. Luckely I have some experiance with these type of decals from Tamiya, so I know what to expect from them.

Cheers,

Finally a update of the cockpit. It is done and here are the pictures.

before painting

IMG_1859_zpsq5jtspqp.jpg

IMG_1860_zpscdzpgynk.jpg

and after painting.

IMG_1867_zpsh8skfbjf.jpg

IMG_1868_zpsy5hr5i6a.jpg

IMG_1869_zpsgtg3efww.jpg

IMG_1870_zpsoac69nf4.jpg

IMG_1871_zps6stxhs07.jpg

and finally after closing up including the wing.

IMG_1874_zpsqhi0rufx.jpg

This one is going fast. I love Tamiya models.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Looking really nice so far. The shading on the interior of the cockpit looks really crisp. What did you use / how did you do that?

Thanxs.

I used a oilpaint wash of some umber and black. Nothing special. You use a small cup or beker and just fill it a little with some white spirit and them put a little bit of oilpaint in it. Then you just brush it on the surface and let it dry. because of the capilar action it will sit mostly beside the raised details and will dry there. if there is to much you can remove some with a tissue or cotton swap.

If/When all is dry I do some drybrushing and detailpainting. that is all.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

• 2 weeks later...

Some work done today. The wings are now glued on the fuselage and some other stuf as well.

Hope to put up some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sorry guys, It took me a little bit more time to put up some pictures.

Here are the pictures of what was done a few days ago.

IMG_1931_zpsaupxqh7t.jpg

IMG_1930_zps7ncgmtva.jpg

And here are two pictures of how it is at the moment.

IMG_1933_zps6x3u2ogz.jpg

IMG_1935_zpsodf9lfrw.jpg

The fit of the fuselage and wing was great exept a small gep on the underside. I filled this with some super glue and baking powder.

The glas still needs to be masked, but that will I do at the moment before I start painting.

That will start hopefulling in a few weeks.

Cheers,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

here are the pictures of painting the model.

The start after masking the canopy.

IMG_1958_zpszuthksct.jpg

Painted the underside.

IMG_1959_zpsprv3xcdo.jpg

and here is the model after masking the underside.

IMG_1960_zpsl1xxomvi.jpg

And the first two top colours (blue grey and green)

IMG_1961_zps6jnikr8d.jpg

And finally with the Brown on.

IMG_1962_zpsprhij6td.jpg

IMG_1963_zpsyezo2zt3.jpg

And finally after the masking removed.

IMG_1965_zpsdkbggp69.jpg

IMG_1966_zpsidv9hk3u.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsht5dyjxn.jpg

I have used the mixes that Tamiya recommend. The only exeption is the green. That would have been far to light, so I replaced it with dark green from Gunze (acrilic). The model has got already it's Klear coat so I can start put on the decals tomorrow.

Cheers,

• Like 4

looking really good, I did wonder how the Tamiya mixes would look, but they seem ok except the green? what about the underside? is that the Tamiya mix also? it looks darker than I expected.

I am slowly getting into my one, I need to dedicate some time to getting paint into the cockpit.

looking really good, I did wonder how the Tamiya mixes would look, but they seem ok except the green? what about the underside? is that the Tamiya mix also? it looks darker than I expected.

I am slowly getting into my one, I need to dedicate some time to getting paint into the cockpit.

That it looks a little bit to dark could be because I used some black pre shading.

Cheers