Classic Airframes 1/48th Gannet AS1-4

Simon Cornes

Thanks for the heads up.

I dare say however that any AM won't be that accurate unless the researchers have encountered Steve Long and his prized wards.

Going to go for a couple; do the hard research on something bigger...then attempt the 6 1/72 Revell kits I have...as to a AEW Mk.5...I see Sword are also advertised. This could be a very greedy year! :winkgrin:

Research shouldn't be a bother, just direct yourself to BM's walkround section for a fine selection

of photographs of our NAVY 860 or Miranda as her friends call her.

I must admit that I pre-ordered 2 on the basis of one straight build plus a Plan B in case someone does an AEW conversion now this kit is available again. They're not cheap - sadly - but no longer scarce as hen's teeth!

Anyone hands on with the latest release yet, has it been tidied up at all or still as the old kits?

I think that I can confidently say that this is a straight re-pop with nothing added or taken away. My pair arrived on Friday whilst I was away so I got to see them today. Unfortunately the carton had not been treated very well and showed evidence of crushing which was mirrored inside. In practice one kit is perfectly okay but the corner of the box for the second is completely split so I have e-mailed Hannants today, hoping they will send me a replacement box as the contents are okay but we all know the effect of a damaged box if we want to sell a kit one day! To spend that much money, its a bit dissapointing when things don't arrive in perfect nick - even if the kit is the same one produced years ago!

Simon

I have mine.. Since I never saw an old one I can't say.....but, the plastic is nicely moulded, and the bag of resin will need an amount of tidying up when the parts are separated . It looks a nice kit, if £50 is just a touch pricey to my mind.

Thanks Guys.... BTW Emodels is the cheapest I've found them, £45 ex pp. Hoping the AEW3 is going to re appear, think I'll save my pennies for that. At least the release should put an end to the £hundreds on fleabay.

Emodels is one of my LMS but buying 2 on pre-order gave me the same saving plus a few extras took me into the Hannants 'post free' zone - and that doesn't normally happen.

Regarding an AEW3 I didn't think that CA made one of these?

Regarding an AEW3 I didn't think that CA made one of these?

No, they didn't. One was a possibility before Classic Airframes shut up shop. It could resurface, I suppose, if the brand itself remains alive (or at least undead). Hope so, as my Fokker G.I might not be far behind it ...

£50 is a lot, though not far off the price of a lot of other recent releases. But it still compares pretty well with paying over a ton for the original.

Mine arrived today, interestingly the box is marked "Hannant Exclusive".

There were aftermarket sets from Alley Cat for the kit, an open Weapons Bay and Underwing Tanks.

Classic Airframes had announced a Gannet AEW.3 kit to follow this one just before they ceased production, hopefully if the tooling exists it may well see the light of day at some point.

Its all very intriguing. I wonder how many more CA kits are going to be reproduced as 'Hannants Exclusives' ? Clearly £50 seems to be the magic price and they've invested n very nice box artwork. I would love them to release an AEW3 but they probably think there's enough demand for the back catalogue to just run through that and produc a few few re-releases every year. It certainly makes you think twice about buying anything second hand. As it stands I suppose you are okay paying up to £50 on the basis that that is how much Hannants would sell a re-pop for ,whether its one of the Meteor range or some obscure French type (sorry!) Horrible though if you've shelled out £100 for a Gannet though!

Hannants Exclusives of Classic Airframes kits are not new. When the Meteor F.8 was initially released there was a Hannants exclusive boxing with the late style canopy as well as new decals that were different to the standard boxing.

I like the Gannet and remember standing underneath one in a museum as a kid and remember it towering above me. I'm tempted to get this but seem to be shifting scales to 1:72 as I run out of room...

HI my Hannants exclusive gannet arrived on Monday had to wait till today to check it out , only thing exclusive in it is a zip lock airtight bag for the spruces ,question is did Antphillips get lucky or am I missing out on the exclusive part