1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ/CZ/E, 5 & Cheetah by RV Aircraft - released - new boxing M5 "Cyrano"

Homebee

Good morning Enzo

Thank you for posting these pics .. :wow:

Mine is on the way from Poland

Patrice

Too bad for the poor quality of the decals .As far as I am concerned I have this one inmy stash http://www.aviationmegastore.com/raf-meteor-faf-mirage-35-setno88-model-decal-setno88-decals/product/?shopid=LM5440b5501361264354738c173d&action=prodinfo&parent_id=0&art=348as well as a Isradecal sheet but no doubt some manufacturer will solve the problem ..

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

Overall, would this kit be considered better or worse than the Hi-Planes offering ?

I would say that they are on a par. The RV kit has shallower panel lines but an oddly shaped radome. The Hi-Planes/PJ Productions kit has an accurate shape but deeper panel lines. However to be honest I didn't find the deep panel lines to be too much of a problem after a couple of coats of primer.

I thing the determining factor will be price. The RV kit is about 75% of the price if the HP/PJ kit. But then again, the HP/PJ kits will still be around when the 1000 kit production run of the RV kit has sold out.

Thanks Enzo, some interesting thoughts there.

The bad radome shape is not something I like, wonder if reshaping would be easy ? The cost difference including postage to my place would be higher though, with the RV kit being a good 35% cheaper if not more than the HP kit, for this reason I'm very tempted by the latter.
The 1000 kits production run is not something I'd be too worried about: the RV MiG-23 is now appearing in AZ boxes, wonder if the Mirage willl go the same way ?

I like my models to be accurate and this seems to rule out the RV kit... however I have a few spare noses from the old short run HP kit... maybe it's time to do some resin cloning again ? I feel an order to karaya coming soon for a couple Mirages... B)

The RV kit has shallower panel lines but an oddly shaped radome.

I'm not quite sure that the HPM nose is a lot better.

I thing the determining factor will be price. The RV kit is about 75% of the price if the HP/PJ kit. But then again, the HP/PJ kits will still be around when the 1000 kit production run of the RV kit has sold out.

The RV kit comes with supersonic French tanks, nothing more. Soon RV will probably offer "upgraded" boxings that will include more stores but the price won't be the same. The 1000 limitation is probably just a marketing strategy to encourage potential buyers. Or the initial boxings will be sold under another brand (KP, AZ, whatever). Edited by Laurent

the RV MiG-23 is now appearing in AZ boxes, wonder if the Mirage willl go the same way ?

As far as I'm aware, the AZ boxing of the MiG-23 has all the resin parts replaced with a new injection moulded sprue. If that happens with the Mirage, AZ could take the opportunity to provide a more accurate nose.

Hi my 2p worth
The wheels are wrong for a B/C Mirage; the brakes in the kit are for the E/5 100% not the C.
This is a change as it is all ways the C brakes that they do for all kits.
Have a look at the photo of the C/B brakes in post 102 C brakes look totally different from E brakes.
There are also small things different between C/ E u/c legs.
It’s a shame as there is loads of information on the Mirage IIIC so it should not be too hard to get it right.
It looks like a lot of cross kitting to get an IIIc.

Airfix if you are thinking of making a Mirage PLEASE ASK ref information it’s not too hard to find to get it Right I hope !!.

Paul

Edited by PaulT 876

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know.

They released three noses in one shot (three boxes) first, then later the tsniut.

Anyway, what's important now is that we have all thoses appendices in both 1/72 and 1/48.

Let's hope that they'll think about 1/32 when italeri's kit is available.