1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ/CZ/E, 5 & Cheetah by RV Aircraft - released - new boxing M5 "Cyrano"

Homebee

Dear god that doesn't really exist, please don't let this be a fillerphilic hound with a jones for milliput: Do this one one thing for me beardy boy and I'll start believing you may exist...

rvmirage.JPG

Anil The RV Aircraft Virgin

• Like 1

Anil The RV Aircraft Virgin

The RV Aircraft Mig-21s have had good reviews. The nose is a bit wrong on the Migs and the wings don't have locating tabs. The latter shouldn't be a problem on a Mirage. We'll see...

There are a lot of people taking a chance on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received an example yet? If so, any first impressions?

Jay

Good afternoon Jay

May be I am wrong but I think that this kit has not been released yet and the guy who sell them on Ebay has just taken our orders (and our money ..) for the moment, when I go on Ebay to check if mine has been sent I read that it is expected in early july 6 ...

Patrice

Good afternoon Jay

May be I am wrong but I think that this kit has not been released yet and the guy who sell them on Ebay has just taken our orders (and our money ..) for the moment, when I go on Ebay to check if mine has been sent I read that it is expected in early july 6 ...

Patrice

Patrice,

Thanks for the info!

Jay

Is that the nose section for the IIIE/ 5 included in the kit? Canards too.

Happy this version is out. Hopefully it builds well. Those rivets look BIG in the pics by the way.

Jay

It seems to be a limited edition release. One thousand kits only...

1000 sold under the RV brand and the rest under another (KP, AZ, etc) ?

Is that the nose section for the IIIE/ 5 included in the kit? Canards too.

I don't see a lot of IIIC/CJ parts.

Edited by Laurent

Is that the nose section for the IIIE/ 5 included in the kit?

Jay

Jay, correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't the IIIC and E noses the same? :huh:

I was hoping this model to be better, but there are things I don't like:

. nose cone lacking the double curvature

. windshield ending where the clear parts end on the real aircraft

. rudder of incorrect proportions

. no missiles or launchers

. only supersonic fuel tanks included

. only one type of tailcone (?)

. and yes, oh my!, those RIVETS!

Still trying to be possitive here, but... oh well!

Jorge.

I'm not Jay but the answer is yes shape-wise

I believe that the IIIC MLG doors weren't bulged like the IIIIE ones also.

I was hoping this model to be better

Yes, but the way the kit's broken down, I'm guessing the slightly longer cockpit nose sections seen in the Facebook pics are for the forthcoming IIIEs and 5s. RV threw in parts for as many possible versions in one kit with the MiG-23 too.

I'm also not very impressed by the images. Took me a while to recognize the Mirage shape between all those rivets.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

RV%20Mirage%20-%20rudder%20off%203.jpg

Source: http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=6836

Interesting rudder... it's fine to have nice details (parts, riveting) but IMHO efforts should be done to ensure that the shapes are ok before that. Fixing the rudder, means puttying, rescribing and redoing the riveting. This partially cancels the added value of the RVA kit.

Edited by Laurent

Interesting rudder... it's fine to have nice details (parts, riveting) but IMHO efforts should be done to ensure that the shapes are ok before that. Fixing the rudder, means puttying, rescribing and redoing the riveting. This partially cancels the added value of the RVA kit.

Agree 100%.

What could have been "just another little mistake" is actually a rather serious one as the rudder is usually used to display national or squadron colours. This would make the mistake more notorious and a nightmare for aftermarket decal manufacturers. What to do? Provide accurate or inaccurate rudder markings?

So it's either the PJ/HPM with oversize trenches or this one with all those overdone rivets... Not happy with the situation. As far as I am concerned, guess I'll wait for some from Trumpeter or Hobyboss! :wacko:

Jorge.

PD: Ha! My rudder comparison pic has been reposted in a french forum. Originally posted here: http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=6836

Edited by f4h1phantom

If there is ever a plane with nearly completely smooth construction and no discernible rivet/panel detail, it is the mirage series. Even in real life the panel gaps are tiny with the rivets basically non existent. What were they thinking, guess Heller still makes the only representative scale mirage 3 of 1/72 (PJ resin are good, not those trench injection kits!)

• Like 1

If there is ever a plane with nearly completely smooth construction and no discernible rivet/panel detail, it is the mirage series. Even in real life the panel gaps are tiny with the rivets basically non existent. What were they thinking, guess Heller still makes the only representative scale mirage 3 of 1/72 (PJ resin are good, not those trench injection kits!)

Rivets on NMF Mirages can be visible (pic, another pic) but only because the metal colour is different (steel rivets, aluminum/duraluminum sheets). IMHO riveting isn't a bad idea but it should have been more subdued than the panel lines.

The more I look at the sprues, the more I get convinced that RV "based" their model in the PJ/HPM one. The nose cone and main wheel inner doors look identical, shape problems et all... :hmmm:

Here's an elnargement of the nose cone. It is way too conical lacking the characteristic double curvature, and it looks perhaps too short also, just like the PJ/HPM one (I don't have either kit, I'm just looking at published pics, so may be wrong). Compare with the link below from a Hyperscale review of the PJ/HPM kit ( http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/hpk072016reviewgp_1.htm )

Nose%20cone.jpg

compare with: http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/p7hg_img_40/fullsize/BTJ_0855_fs.jpg

Nose of a real IIICJ:

Nose%20cone%20detail%20-%20Foto%20Jorge%

An enlargement of the main wheel door from RV. It is bulged while it should be flat on the outside, just like the one provided by PJ/HPM:

Main%20door%20cr.jpg

compare with: http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/p7hg_img_40/fullsize/BTJ_0849_fs.jpg

The most important thing is that they lack the openings in them (not sure that applies to all IIICs though):

MirageIIICJfotoJorgeFigari00006%20cr.jpg

I still need to check wheter the IIIE doors were bulged at all.

Hope someone finds any of this useful.

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom