1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ/CZ/E, 5 & Cheetah by RV Aircraft - released - new boxing M5 "Cyrano"

Homebee

Now this made my day..! Let's hope it's not an AML repop.

If it's new tool, I hope R.V. will follow the same pricing strategy as with their recent MiG-21bis, with a much cheaper Weekend edition-esque version.

Edited by Mountain goat

Let's hope it's not an AML repop.

Brand new kit according to a message on the FB page.

I hope the accuracy won't be neglected. I wasn't impressed by the MiG-21SMT nose and windscreen at all.

Pity the South African markings and colours are wrong. I spend my childhood in Pretoria near Waterkloof AFB and still remember those 'strykysters' vividly.

Would you care to name some of the mistakes? If the kit turns out to be accurate, I'll for one will be building lots of CZs you see, hence the curiosity, :).

Regards, Jay

Would you care to name some of the mistakes? If the kit turns out to be accurate, I'll for one will be building lots of CZs you see, hence the curiosity, :).

Regards, Jay

The Springbok in the Castles is too big. To my eye also the arms of the Castle apear to be slightly oversized. The words "Dassault Briget Mirage III" also should appear on the orange, red and blue fin flash.

Well, as the pictures of both instructions and decals seem distorted a bit i cannot comment on how accurate the castles are but if the decals are printed as shown they are useless anyway.

The funny thing is, on their painting instructions the springbokke on the wings are facing each other and on the fuselage are facing forward, which is correct.

But for that you have to have 3 castle-markings with the springbok facing left and 3 with springbok facing right on your decalsheet..

RV's decalsheet however shows 6 all facing left. That means you can only use half of them and have to find replacements for the others. Colours as they are it will be best and easiest to replace them alltogether. If they springbokke are indeed printed in yellow as depicted above that will have to be done anyway as they should be in gold.

BTW the colours on their instructions are also somewhat in error I think.

The SAAF Mirages were camouflaged on top with:

Deep Buff FS30257

Olive Drab FS34098

and the lower surfaces

Light Admirality Grey FS35414 and not ‘Sky Blue”

The text on the rudder flashes differed on the Mirages. Indeed the early silver ones had the full text with Avion Dassault Mirage IIICZ but tha later camouflaged ones had only the text Mirage IIICZ with the serial. However there are anomalies known, even spelling errors and i was informed that RV worked from pictures and not drawings. So here it might be correct

• 2 weeks later...

Strange that Heller hasn't retooled its Mirage? The Mirage is after all The French fighter aircraft!

Heller is in a fragile financial state so they invest in kits that are guaranteed to sell. The only expected aircraft new tool is a 1/72 Alpha Jet.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully not that far away, with the IIIC boxart apparently settled upon :)

129067_0.jpg

I am really curious to see how the plastic inside will compare against what one can find in their MiG-21 boxes!?...

• Like 1

I am really curious to see how the plastic inside will compare against what one can find in their MiG-21 boxes!?...

I know that the nose intake on the RV Migs is too wide, but that won't have any bearing on Mirages. The Mig wings are a but joint to the fuselage - but that's unlikely to happen on a Mirage.

Apart from those issues, does anyone have any experience of the RV Migs?

Interesting that they haven't included markings for Giora Epstein, the only ace of aces in a jet to date*. That said as he was allegedly flying CJs marked 561 and 61, should be an easy fix unless someone knows any different?

Met the man himself many moons ago when he was an EL AL bus driver, some remarkable stories in the hotel bar and some very cocky American Airlines (I think, much booze was consumed) pilots soon clammed up about their "flying skills" when "Hawkeye" described the day he took on 11 Egyptian Migs singlehandedly and downed 4 of them! I don't think those AA boys scored any stewardess action that night...

I'm down for one just as a fond memory of meeting a truly remarkable man.

Anil The Humbled

*Some Russian sources (naturally) say that various clandestine Soviet pilots shot down well over 20 apiece in Korea, but there are no official records. Then again I met a nice chap at Monino, last year, who explained that his grandfather singlehandedly destroyed the entire Luftwaffe in WW2 in a month while flying an il-2... :winkgrin:

• Like 2

You mean ace in one single airframe?

Wasn't there some USAF F-86 jocks who scored at least five in the same aircraft?

Y'know I have no idea how you count an "ace". I assumed that it was the pilot and not the planes he/she flew, maybe some serving fighter jocks can enlighten us.

For the record, Epstein had 17 kills including a few helos and one of his Mirages shows 12 kills.I remember him saying you often grabbed the first plane with fuel, missiles and cannon rounds during the Yom Kippur war. Mind you he had a few lemonades by then but Israeli friends from that era suggest the same even for tanks, if it worked and there wasn't someone sat in it, it was yours.

If there are any F-16 fans here, they should hear what he thought about the "flying computer"...

Anil

• Like 2

Y'know I have no idea how you count an "ace". I assumed that it was the pilot and not the planes he/she flew, maybe some serving fighter jocks can enlighten us.

Not a fighter jock - but I can confirm that "ace" refers to the pilot, not the aircraft. To slightly muddy the waters, some back-seaters in Phantoms are credited as aces, even though they made their kills with different pilots. A number of aircraft have been known to carry credits for the kills made by that actual aircraft, regardless of the pilots.

I remember him saying you often grabbed the first plane with fuel, missiles and cannon rounds during the Yom Kippur war.

Perfectly sound tactics. That certainly applied during the Battle of Britain.