Help Needed! "Wave" Stingray model kit

I have had,for a number of years,a large scale vinyl kit of Gerry Andersons Stingray. Certain parts of this kit should be clear(windows,canopies,and a rather large propelling device at the rear.)but they are not,they are in the same blue/grey vinyl as the rest of the kit.

Now,the question,of course,is,any ideas as to how I should approach this? Resin casting? Vacforming?

Finding someone with a 3D printer?

Any hints and suggestions will be gratefully received!

PS I shall post some pics,when I get the hang of it

Thanks In advance

• Like 1

sting04_zps7gegpfot.jpg

sting03_zpsj5hqmgd7.jpg

sting06_zpsrxhpwzef.jpg

sting05_zpsknwjp5ge.jpg

and,from the top,two pics of the propeller device which should be clear and hollow,as per the box art.Third pic is the midget submarine,thecentral part should be a clear canopy.Lastly the superstructure showing the windows

May I apologise for the quality of the photos!

Interesting. Must be about a foot long?

Probably worth a fortune as it is to

a serious sci fi/Anderson collector.

I'm no expert but this sort of kit was never

meant to be that accurate, as in, interior

detail. More of a 'desktop' model like the

airliner models you can buy to display.

I think there is a wooden version of this

made in the Phillipines. A web search should

find it (and other similar models)

I'd be tempted to paint the 'glass' areas in

a pale blue/silver shade & the prop in various

silver metallics.

But check out the value first.

• Like 2

I can't be much help in regard to the glazing, I'd be tempted to go with Pete's suggestion and paint the glass but, if it's any help, I've got an old issue of Sci-Fi &Fantasy Models from '96 which features a David Sissons build of a 3 foot stingray. Obviously it's not the same kit but it's quite an interesting read and may be useful. If you're interested PM me and I can email you a scan of the article.

Incidentally, there's a Wave stingray on ebay at the moment for £200

Andy

• Like 1

Thank you Pete! Over a foot long ,a quick test fit shows it to be @ 21"!

I can't be much help in regard to the glazing, I'd be tempted to go with Pete's suggestion and paint the glass but, if it's any help, I've got an old issue of Sci-Fi &Fantasy Models from '96 which features a David Sissons build of a 3 foot stingray. Obviously it's not the same kit but it's quite an interesting read and may be useful. If you're interested PM me and I can email you a scan of the article.

Incidentally, there's a Wave stingray on ebay at the moment for £200

Andy

Andy,you are a genius! I had forgotten about SF&F,so i looked through some back issues and found the article. Having read it,I am starting to get some pointers of which way to go.

Also,I saw the Stingray on ebay.Interesting that he hasnt posted any pics of the model itself,isnt it?

Thanks Roy,the article that Andy mentioned seems to go in that direction.Never done it before,so I may well holler for help! One question,is there any problem separating a silicon rubber mould from vinyl? If so, do I need to use some sort of release agent?

I used to have this kit (sold it years ago) and the Ratemaster (propellor) was cast in clear vinyl. It was badly yellowed, but would have been usable. Perhaps yours is an earlier kit.

As has been said, it should be fairly easy to cast the ratemaster in clear resin.

The windows could be cut out and replaced with clear acetate, but that would mean scratching the interior.

I think the kit will require a great deal of work whatever you decide.

Cheers,

Stuart

• Like 1

I used to have this kit (sold it years ago) and the Ratemaster (propellor) was cast in clear vinyl. It was badly yellowed, but would have been usable. Perhaps yours is an earlier kit.

As has been said, it should be fairly easy to cast the ratemaster in clear resin.

The windows could be cut out and replaced with clear acetate, but that would mean scratching the interior.

I think the kit will require a great deal of work whatever you decide.

Cheers,

Stuart

I did a scratch interior on a Comet Stingray years ago,Stuart,so that shouldnt be too much of a problem.unfortunately,once the kit was complete you couldnt see b*gg*r all inside!!

• Like 1

I've now built 2 Doyusha Stingray kits but this is a whole different kettle of (Terror)fish!

I'd go with the advice above and re-cast the ratemaster in clear resin.

At 21" long that give an approximate scale of 1:46 (Stingray is supposed to be 80 foot long), close enough to 1:48 for scratch building and interior to be easy with scale figures plentiful and some cheap PE for consoles etc :)

However, rather you than me as I don't like working with vinyl models!

• 3 weeks later...

You've now reminded me of the Airfix Singrays my brother and I built back in the mid 60's. Neither fared that well in the bath, though they did submerge, after a fashion.

• 4 months later...