French Spitfire

Hi Everyone

A very brief update.

Firstly a couple of coats of AK worn effects were sprayed onto the bits where paint chipping is to occur.

Then on with the ocean grey, Tamiya XF 82. I may be wrong but this version of ocean grey looks a little blue to my eye? Anyway, a base coat of XF 82 and then this colour mixed with a few drops of firstly XF 4 yellow green, then XF 22 RLM grey and finally a few drops XF 83 medium sea grey all heavilly thinned and sprayed about in random pattens. Hopefully effective to break things up a bit and add a bit of ware and tear.

image.jpg3_zpsmlu3p6rj.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsezashdk0.jpg

image.jpg2_zps1kbn6bar.jpg

So now on with the AML paint masks and them the dark green.

Thanks for looking

James

• Like 2

Morning everyone

Thought I'd show the weekends progress before going to work.

So the camo is now complete. I used AML paint masks for the first time which I found to be pretty good. The only problem was, and it's not their fault, that they did lift the grey where it had been sprayed over the aluminium and chipping solution quite badly so I've had a fair bit re painting to do.

Anyway onto the pics.

image.jpg1_zpskqo6wluu.jpg

I found the effects that you can create with the chipping solution to be quite good. I was quite pleased for a first attempt.

image.jpg3_zpsovmikjt9.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsu4ygsour.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsflp1umcx.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsgi1yh69c.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsajubbcex.jpg

Anyway, thats all for now. Onto the national markings and invasion stripes next.

Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 1

Morning Everyone

A quick update.

The national markings are now finished. I had'nt appreciated how bright the French roundels are when compared to our RAF ones. I don't think I've got the shade of blue quite spot on but in the interests of getting finished before the end of the GB, which I probably wont anyway, I went with it.

So onto the pics -

image.jpg1_zps3gmrtxag.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsntsiyhv1.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsh3fg7ylm.jpg

image.jpg4_zps68yzjda5.jpg

So just a bit of touching up on the paint work and the black for the invasion stripes and that's painting pretty much done apart from the small bits.

Thanks for looking.

Questions and comments (good or bad) welcome.

James

• Like 4

Nice job James, she's going to be a beauty B)

French roundel blue seems to be one of those difficult colours, different transfer manufacturers interpret it in different ways and I have never managed to find a straight-from-the-pot colour I'm happy with to match it. Your choice looks convincing enough to me though :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Stew I had no idea this colour was up for debate as this is my first French aircraft. Mine was a mix of Tamiya XF18 medium blue with a couple of drops of XF22 to make it a bit more grey. I based this on a sheet of Berna decals for French Spitfires in Indo China just thinking that they're a French company and probably as close as any? On the Montex sheet that the masks came from their blue is much closer to Royal Blue which I think is deffinately wrong. Anyway it's done now and I can always hide behind the different paint batches which come out in different hues excuse, we all do it!

Thanks

James

Right then, evening everyone.

Not much of an update this time as it's been another hectic week without much modelling time.

I have had time to finish the invasion stripes and used a bit of artistic license to spray a darkened mix of the dark green over the positions of the RAF fin flashes as they must have been sprayed out. The one photo I could find of this aircraft is'nt quite clear enough to show if this was actually the case but thought the aircraft must have been delivered with standard flashes?

image.jpg1_zpswpqaouib.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsoc1jxvui.jpg

That's all for now.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome as always.

James

Thanks Trevor

I know what you mean about the markings making aircraft look different.

I almost prefer the Spitfire in these markings! I'm of to beat myself now I've admitted that!

James

Hi Everyone

A quick update of the last few evenings, not that much really.

After a couple of coats of Klear the stencils are on and themselves Kleared. The serial number on this aircraft had been painted over and repainted by hand in the field. Going by the picture I found of this I stood virtually no chance of being able to reproduce this so I chickened out and used some generic Xtra decal 4 inch black code letters.

image.jpg2_zps1zdhicfv.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsipv6uv0i.jpg

Next up will be washes and oil staines!

Thanks for looking

Comments good and bad welcome

James

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words Trevor ans Stew, it will look a bit different in the cabinet.

I managed to grab half an hour yesterday and get some of the characteristic Spitfire oil staining done on the underside using AK Interactive black oils. I've also applied a panel line wash of Mig storm grey to the rest of the underside.

image.jpg2_zpscfglirfq.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsqd9oybmr.jpg

Onto the upper surfaces now.

Thanks for looking

James

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...