Lockheed PV1 Ventura, 1/72 Academy - silvering removal

Hi,

To complete items of my archive Lockheed shelf (after L9 Orion, L10 Electra, L12 Electra Junior, L14 Super Electra, P38 Lightning and YP80A Shooting Star) - the last but the least - PV1 Ventura. Kit from Academy, 1/72 not corrected by shape (I've learnt later, that something is wrong with tail in this kit...) .

Age of model? - a teenager or even 20.

Following my records or notes the markings are are of VPB 133 (ex VPB 150). I am not sure if "Octopus" was not a hallmark of VPB 155 - perhaps not. Machine based on Tinan and then Iwo Jima, March-April 1945.

Octopus painted, individual markings (not "nose art" but "side art") - painted on decal.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

ventura DSC03822ventura DSC03821ventura DSC03820ventura DSC03823ventura DSC03819

ventura DSC03818

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 15

Hi Jerzy!!!

I have been watching this wonderful built plane, admiring all the detail and enjoying the great pics you have shared with us, and was thinking how many times I was reading every number of the Alan Hall's famous magazines "Scale Aircraft Modeling or Aviation News" watching many many times the lists of second hand kits published there, and dreaming the day i would have one of this old Frog beauties who had scaped from margate even without plans or decals and that way to feel closer to this moment, have have bought the Squadron Signal In action book feeling more closer than before to this moment.

Many years later, i have found one in a Supermarket but haven't enough money to get this one, and then later discovered that Academy/Minicraft was not anymore with us, just selling the planes only as Minicraft and to many many times the value I have hadn't pay for that.....but just in Squadron Mail Order something happened, the british version kit was in offer and I wanted two but the people who I asked for the kit just biought one because he dislikes the plane and, as a result, at least have one inthe stash.....half bad luck with it....isn't it???

But anyway, I'm sure that after watching your nice Octupus painted with "Steady and Firm Wizard's Hand" in the place of the upper turret and all the great and wonderful labour of love you have done with this one, as soon as I can surely willbuy the other Two/Four machines to complete the collection!!! I am believing that you make more sales to the kit maufacturers here than the whole adverstisements they make in magazines.

Thank you very much for sharing your masterpieces and all your super powers!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis for your comment. By the way - I have in my in stash a kit of Ventura (I think solid nose version) from Novo, so ex Frog kit. Brand new, but without box and decals - just plastic. I will not do this for sure. I was thinking about using engines in scrach build of B23 Dragon. But this is not exactly what is needed. Anyway I have also PV2 Harpoon in stash, so I can copy any part in resin. So - If you want I can send it to you with pleasure :) Just PM your address, where to send.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I  want to share with a success on the removal of silvering in the home made (hand painting on decal) the art (not "nose-art" but "mid fuselage art").

Before correction

36764427185_e0b533ce14_b.jpg

After correction:

52003694172_83978e5266_b.jpg

52004967889_f16a377fd0_b.jpg

It was done using diluted with ethanol acrylic Tamiya gloss varnish introduced between decal and model with a help of needle.

Comments welcome

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

• JWM changed the title to Lockheed PV1 Ventura, 1/72 Academy - silvering removal