Heller - Morane-Saulnier MS230

I'll be in with another classic Heller (I feel there's a theme developing here!) ... it's kit of the Morane-Saulnier MS230, a nice looking parasol winged beastie, that I believe was a trainer among other things in the pre-war period

Suitably unusual, but a nice looking aircraft nonetheless!

If I get time, I'll also have a crack at my Heller Hellcat, but time very rarely seems to be on my side these days. Will update Friday, as will be in Cologne on business until then.

Chris

• Like 4

Thank you... I was plugging through my box of Heller kits last night to find something suitably unusual and esoteric – was aiming for the Mureaux 117 too, but Steve beat me to it! Then I had a look at the MS-229, but it's missing bits! I thought about the D520, but said no as I assumed everyone would be making them, and – following some unnecessary frottering of plastic, settled on this! Fingers crossed... especially with regards to the decals!

Chris

I could... but I have a cunning plan up my sleeve as to a potential second French kit! Inspiration shall we say... helped by a wade through my decal sheets!

OK... here's the kit in all its glory! It's one of the Yellow Musee issues, which was bagged until about 40 mins ago, featuring thoroughly unusable decals - bad register & glue stuck to surface - but good moulding! Fabric effect is nicely done, and there's little flash. It's in the standard soft grey Heller plastic we all know, and don't you love the makers stamp right where you don't want it to be!

Slightly out of focus pic on the sprue shot, but my camera's not playing ball alas! C'est la vie as they apparently say...

Anyway, all colour scheme ideas gratefully welcome, and does anyone know what colour the interior will be? I have a pot of the lovely midnight interior blue, but is that too late for this?

Chris

2015-03-20%2013.28.15_zps7z3axz29.jpg

2015-03-20%2013.28.32_zpswwtvbjnl.jpg

2015-03-20%2013.28.52_zpsevqoc5z0.jpg

2015-03-20%2013.29.55_zpsqximqgdp.jpg

2015-03-20%2013.30.49_zpss95foxmp.jpg

2015-03-20%2013.31.04_zps2utsrp0i.jpg

2015-03-20%2013.31.17_zpsiuzpakbx.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be in with another classic Heller (I feel there's a theme developing here!)

Indeed there is! It wasn't intended, but it is most welcome within the context of this GB. :thumbsup:

2015-03-20%2013.28.52_zpsevqoc5z0.jpg

I remember those glue sachets! Thanks for the memory! :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Well, this is the only kit of a French-designed aircraft that I have, so I will not be joining this GB but will merely cheer you on. It looks like you could recycle the "Heller" stamp into fuselage framing....

Looking forward to more!

Regards,

Adrian

Well, this is the only kit of a French-designed aircraft that I have, so I will not be joining this GB but will merely cheer you on. It looks like you could recycle the "Heller" stamp into fuselage framing....

Looking forward to more!

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

Join in anyway, I'm sure we can stand another MS23O, after all, we have more than one Mirage III

• Like 1

Adrian,

Join in anyway, I'm sure we can stand another MS23O, after all, we have more than one Mirage III

I agree! There is always room for another classic Heller kit!

Look how much fun we're having - and the GB hasn't even started yet. You know you want to! :wicked:

Adrian,

Agreed, it's not as if MS230s are common as muck, like D520s. I didn't even know MS did a 230 until 18 March...

John

Anyway, all colour scheme ideas gratefully welcome, and does anyone know what colour the interior will be? I have a pot of the lovely midnight interior blue, but is that too late for this?

Hi Chris,

if you want a different scheme for your Morane, you could opt for a belgian option. I remembered having an old book for modellers which deals with building pre-war belgian planes. Just found it and the Morane is one of the types in it.

The colour scheme is a bit different from the French one: olive drab uppersides and silverdoped indersides. On the sides are markings like a penguin or a devil. Quite nice.

In the book it is explained that most 230's were modified to 236. Only difference is in the engine and exhaust. Apparently it is quite easy to scratchbuild those parts.

And of course you'll need belgian roundels...

This page has quite a few original photo's.

If you want I can scan the bookpage (and I will translate the dutch text which deals with details on the kit). It has a 1/72 scale drawing of the underside with the serial (M 17) which might come in handy. just let me know.

Hope you find a suitable scheme! i'm looking forward to this one being build.

Started having a closer look at this last night, and it's a rather nifty little kit! Have found a set of interesting decals on the web, and am trying to find cockpit references, although at the moment it's a bit in vain! Some internal stringing, seat belts and a aftermarket IP may have to do... And does anyone have a clue what the internal colour is? Chamois, grey, midnight blue....?

So, what to do about the Heller stamp? Well, happily I had a Smer boxing of the 230 in my scrap box. It actually has the Heller logo pre-removed, so, despite lending a strange Matchbox two-tone feel to the build, I'm using that. Lazy I know but...

The interior is merely a floor and two armchair style seats. I'll do what I can. Incidentally the resin instrument panel on view came in a box of bits I acquired. Whatever it is, it fits beautifully.

So, here we are... The new half. The interior, and for the intrigued, the Smer boxing from the mid 80s I'm guessing!

2015-03-22%2020.19.31_zpsvrgajj4a.jpg

2015-03-23%2007.45.41_zpsn4ucanuf.jpg

2015-03-22%2020.20.28_zps2esmlnsu.jpg

Hi Chris, in another thread Jean has recommended Chamois for the interior of aircraft of this vintage, I don't know for sure that the Luftwaffe would not have bothered repainting the interior... but I doubt it :)

Hope you get some time to yourself soon :D

Cheers,

Stew

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay... Ah! Life. Anyway, a clear run ahead and progress made. Have constructed a basic - and spurious - framework to make the cockpit busy, added a resin instrument panel, and also added French-pattern seatbelts to the seats.

One half has had a first coat in Humbrol 93 so you can see what it'll be like. Second coats and washes to follow.

Have also got the top wing joined but it'll need some work as there's a few gaps in odd places alas!

So... Hello again!

Chris

IMAG0242_zps3qcylgjn.jpg

IMAG0240_zpset5mevvr.jpg

• Like 3

This model rates as somewhat of a disaster in my book and definitely not one of Heller's best efforts. Having said that, you are doing wonders with the proverbial pig's ear! Great job so far.I

f you want to represent the throttle cadrant, remember that the throttle was moving in the opposite direction than the British planes of that era: full throttle was backward (avoir la manette dans la poche, like they used to say!).

I am sure it will be well worth the effort!

Have fun!

JR