Any Tips on how to make Long Grass/Crops?

Black Knight

Firstly; I'm working in 1/72.

I'm starting a small diorama. For one area I need long grass or half-grown crops, about waist high. I want the area to be about postcard size and full of tall grass, or crops.

I've started to use natural string and I'm teasing the fibres out and sticking them to double sided tape. But really I don't know where that is leading.

I'm thinking; soak the fibres with superglue, cut into sections, and 'plant' into holes in air-dry clay or double wall cardboard.

Do you think this may work?

Any suggestions or tips?

What you're trying is one method that can work, but if you check the model railway section of your LHS, you'll find static grass and other landscaping materials that will fit the bill. OO/HO scale should be close enough to work in 1/72nd.

Thanks for the responses.

I have loads of static grass, and Teddy Bears fur [but I got it as just 'fur' - good for car seats too] - its all too short. Even the longest ready made stuff in my LMS is far too short. Paint brush bristles are too thick to pass off as 1/72 grass/crop.

But I see on that link Phil has given that Noch does 12mm long which is almost the length I want.

Thanks for the help chaps.

I got some Noch long grass [12mm] from ''New Modellers Shop'' in Phil's link.

I ordered it late on 18th, paid via paypal and it arrived with me on the 20th.

It'll be a few weeks till I get using it.

The shaving brush suggestion works well or you could use a cheapo paint brush (1"-2") that does the trick too..................That is what I used here.............

013_709x800.jpg

Smudge

Wow smudge thats excellent

Ýou really have managed to convey a sense of weight of the vehicle crossing the track

Very nice :)

• Like 1

The shaving brush suggestion works well or you could use a cheapo paint brush (1"-2") that does the trick too..................That is what I used here.............

013_709x800.jpg

Smudge

Chuffin hell...i had to look several times to work out if that image was a real photo.not my thing at all but,I was blown away with this one..fantastic work

Daz

• Like 1