1/35 Saladin Armoured car

Hi all

I've not put anything for a few mouths as I lost my modelling mojo for a time. But its now back.

This is Dragon's Black Label Saladin. I had the old Tamiya kit of this years ago and loved it so when I found this kit I just had to have it.

I built it OOB for the cost of the kit I am not that impressed with it £49.99 I could of had one of AVF Clubs Churchill and indy link track.

But that said I'm pleased I built it. So here go's feel free to tell me what you thinkSDC10343_zps0z9bf3pv.jpgSDC10344_zpsche8fhiw.jpgSDC10345_zpsxcfc9yqn.jpgSDC10347_zpslcnigcgo.jpgSDC10348_zpsecloohca.jpgSDC10351_zpso809uudx.jpg

• Like 9

Good job on that. I know what you mean about the price. I recently got the M-48 Patton off ebay for half the £49.99 RRP. In my eyes its a £30 kit for what you get but I guess its a sign of the times.

• Like 1

Well you have the choice to buy or not to buy. :shutup:

But the mind seems to have other idea's.

So we go on and pay over the odds.

Its the great thing about the mind that will not change. :goodjob:

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

Thanks for showing this Jimbob, I am very tempted but was a bit put off by the price and the negative comments but you have done a great job on this it looks great, like it.

Nothing wrong with the Saladin Armoured car kit - check out Military Modelling forum - theres a couple of cracking good builds going on there. The cost of the kits isn't too bad if you look around...I bought two at £35 each............just about finished the first and the second will be a UN Saladin from Cyprus. I drove these around Catterick in the late 60s when training with the Royal Armoured Corps and dragon have caught the shape pretty well. You do not need an interior as to peer into any armoured vehicle is quiet dark, add the crew of the vehicle in the hatches (Firing Line figures)and you cannot see anything............a bit like modelling scale airliners............you cannot see into the aircraft so many modellers blank out the windows............Of course if you do not like the Dragon Saladin, buy the Tamiya offering which doesn't come anywhere near looking like a Saladin and was built as toy around an electric motor. I cannot fault the Dragon Saladin kit

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with the Saladin Armoured car kit - check out Military Modelling forum - theres a couple of cracking good builds going on there. The cost of the kits isn't too bad if you look around...I bought two at £35 each............just about finished the first and the second will be a UN Saladin from Cyprus. I drove these around Catterick in the late 60s when training with the Royal Armoured Corps and dragon have caught the shape pretty well. You do not need an interior as to peer into any armoured vehicle is quiet dark, add the crew of the vehicle in the hatches (Firing Line figures)and you cannot see anything............a bit like modelling scale airliners............you cannot see into the aircraft so many modellers blank out the windows............Of course if you do not like the Dragon Saladin, buy the Tamiya offering which doesn't come anywhere near looking like a Saladin and was built as toy around an electric motor. I cannot fault the Dragon Saladin kit

Hi Rayprit

thank you for your bashing. However I did say I was pleased I'd built the kit and was merely my opinion on it, well done on getting yours so cheep and £35 is a more reflective price of the kit. As the pioneer tool's in the kit are a poor quality as are the periscopes (not clear plastic) and the jerry can only had one handle. this is not the quality I would expect from a £50 kit. As I said for that cost I could of had one of AFV Clubs churchill with indy link tracks and clear periscopes. And yes your right Tamiya's offering is poor but then it was release the same year I was born I'm now 41. having been modeling from the age of 13 I can tell a over price from a well priced one

jim

Hi jim,

Sorry about the bashing...........I always get annoyed when a manufacturer makes a kit which everyone has hoped and begged for for years only to see people jump on the bang wagon and say how rubbish it is.........same thing will happen with the Shackleton, as happened to the Lightnings, Vampire, the list is endless and will continue to be so. You cannot please everyone and yet, the kits are better than what went before. As with all kits, you included, we all collect a "spares" box, or failing that, aftermarket kits. Some minor faults are to be expected with a new kit. I can tell from this Saladin that the research that went in to it was one of the last to be built, so if your a rivet counter(which I am not)you have a little bit of work to do. I dipped into my spares box added new extinguishers and didn't like it shinny so keep changing it........mine is only half done, I have still to paint the crew, finish weathering and find a base for it..........I am a grumpy old man at 67 and I hate it when a new kit comes out gets bad reviews. I have heard of a lot of bad reviews of this kit, but I have googled high and low and not found any complaint so far about it, no doubt the rivet counters will come along soon.................I don't do this usually, but, will show you how my Saladin is coming along.....if you don't want it on your post let me know and I will delete it.

Lets see if the coming Conqueror is as good as they say. Happy Modelling

Raymond

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/rayprit/IMGA1638_zpsswuyivas.jpg

• Like 1

Hi jim,

Sorry about the bashing...........I always get annoyed when a manufacturer makes a kit which everyone has hoped and begged for for years only to see people jump on the bang wagon and say how rubbish it is.........same thing will happen with the Shackleton, as happened to the Lightnings, Vampire, the list is endless and will continue to be so. You cannot please everyone and yet, the kits are better than what went before. As with all kits, you included, we all collect a "spares" box, or failing that, aftermarket kits. Some minor faults are to be expected with a new kit. I can tell from this Saladin that the research that went in to it was one of the last to be built, so if your a rivet counter(which I am not)you have a little bit of work to do. I dipped into my spares box added new extinguishers and didn't like it shinny so keep changing it........mine is only half done, I have still to paint the crew, finish weathering and find a base for it..........I am a grumpy old man at 67 and I hate it when a new kit comes out gets bad reviews. I have heard of a lot of bad reviews of this kit, but I have googled high and low and not found any complaint so far about it, no doubt the rivet counters will come along soon.................I don't do this usually, but, will show you how my Saladin is coming along.....if you don't want it on your post let me know and I will delete it.

Lets see if the coming Conqueror is as good as they say. Happy Modelling

Raymond

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/rayprit/IMGA1638_zpsswuyivas.jpg

That's ok and i do understand your point about kit bashing. I do have a spares box but its mostly WW2 stuff I like to think i'm not a rivet counter(well I did once when i scratch built my MK1 sponsons) and if I'd not spent that much money on the kit i would have been happy to buy an upgrade kit. I have 9 Sherman's 7 of them are Dragon kits and think a lot of them. But just a little let down by Dragon with this one. Feel free to have a look at some of my other stuff and feel free to let me know what you think. Oh and yours is looking very good

Thanks Jim, will check out your builds. My Saracen, is not ready for photographing yet, still building a basket to go on the side and mudflaps to be fitted. Jewelled lights, headlamps from Little cars. The thing about modern British Armour, not much interest on here....My chieftain Bridgelayer only got about 16 views I think and the Antar faired little better. I stopped putting my builds up after lack of interest.

9 Shermans!!! That's going some, bet you watched Fury? Its out on DVD this month I believe. As for the Dragon Saladin, you were warned in advance, this is in its "Black Label" range...........budget kit with no whistles or bells.............mind you, theres not much you can add to a Saracen, it stayed a Mk2 for all its duration and most mods were done by "The Regiment" if it was necessary. A lot of these after market kits are a waste of money, engines, belts, harness, weapons, none are seen once the kit is built and put on display, bonnets closed, doors glued shut. Just built an Accurate Armour Landrover with engine to display.........never bothered with the engine, glued the bonnet shut!!!!

Good luck with your Shermans

• Like 1

You wont be disappointed Steve...............check out Ebay....Buy it now £39.00 free postage or.........you can bid and possibly get one for £33 when the auction finishes..................... :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...