Like a Hurricane - Heller 1/72nd Ouragan E.C.2/2 Dijon

Wez

Right up until yesterday I had intended to make a Hobby Boss 1/48th scale Mirage IIIC, but as we already have one Mirage IIIC in the GB as well as a Mirage IIIB AND there was a comment that someone was expecting the GB to be dominated by Mirages, I thought I’d go with something different.

Ouragan is French for Hurricane and the type was the first indigenous French jet to enter service and like many jets of the time, was powered by a version of the redoubtable and ubiquitous R-R Nene.

The Heller kit first came out in the early 1980’s, this kit has been in the stash since then just awaiting the excuse to make it, I’ve had the Modeldecals (Set 68) almost as long.

I’m very fond of the early jets and the Ouragan is no exception.

As for the Mirage, if study time permits I may make it but it’s now likely to be relegated to the Mirage GB (which I’m confident WILL make it through the poll later this year).

Here’s the kit, decals and my sole reference on the type

20150317_192532%20800x723.jpg

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

Great choice Wez!

This kit is very, very good! So it should be plain sailing for you (I should have a disclaimer ready, in case it is NOT a walk in the park!)

There is a great choice of beautiful decorations.

So we are going to enjoy this WIP!!!

JR

Great choice Wez!

This kit is very, very good! So it should be plain sailing for you (I should have a disclaimer ready, in case it is NOT a walk in the park!)

There is a great choice of beautiful decorations.

So we are going to enjoy this WIP!!!

JR

Thanks Jean, I hope I can do it the justice it deserves.

Wez

One of the things that I'm really liking about this GB is that not only are we building French subjects but a lot of us are building French kits! :thumbsup:

So, we have Ouragans, Super Mysteres, Etendards and Mirages. Anyone for a Mystere IV?

One of the things that I'm really liking about this GB is that not only are we building French subjects but a lot of us are building French kits! :thumbsup:

So, we have Ouragans, Super Mysteres, Etendards and Mirages. Anyone for a Mystere IV?

Yes, I agree, French kits and subjects - it's good to see them.

It would be great if we could get a Mystere IV, Mirage IV, Mirage V, Mirage F1, Mirage 2000 and Rafale to complete the set.

What are the Frrom-Azur Mystere IV's like?

Wez

Edited by Wez

Yes, I agree, French kits and subjects - it's good to see them.

It would be great if we could get a Mystere IV, Mirage IV, Mirage V, Mirage F1, Mirage 2000 and Rafale to complete the set.

Wez

I have the Frrom-Azur and it looks good in the box.

You need a SCNASO E95 ejection seat and some droptanks (Super Etendard droptanks would do).

I can complete the french set above but I'm afraid I'm gonna loose focus after a while... :whistle:

You might see a metal-bare Mirage IV from Opération Tamouré , a Mirage 2000N (both of course with nukes) and perhaps also an all boring grey Rafale M.

Who would do the french-built SCNASE Vampire, Mistral and Aquilon then? :hmmm:

Edited by SAU
  • Like 1

Good morning

I have the Azur Vampire (as well as the old Heller kit ) in my stash if time permit I am going to build it for the Gb ..In fact I have nearly all the aircraft flown by the Armée de l'Air but it will take me more than a 4 month Gb Time to build them all ..

I have the Frrom-Azur and it looks good in the box.

You need a SCNASO E95 ejection seat and some droptanks (Super Etendard droptanks would do).

I can complete the french set above but I'm afraid I'm gonna loose focus after a while... :whistle:

You might see a metal-bare Mirage IV from Opération Tamouré , a Mirage 2000N (both of course with nukes) and perhaps also an all boring grey Rafale M.

Who would do the french-built SCNASE Vampire, Mistral and Aquilon then? :hmmm:

Drop tanks for the Azurfromm Mystere IV kit exist http://www.larsenal.com/reservoirs-de-625l-pour-mystere-iva-c2x15950912

Patrice

Right up until yesterday I had intended to make a Hobby Boss 1/48th scale Mirage IIIC, but as we already have one Mirage IIIC in the GB as well as a Mirage IIIB AND there was a comment that someone was expecting the GB to be dominated by Mirages, I thought I’d go with something different.

Ouragan is French for Hurricane and the type was the first indigenous French jet to enter service and like many jets of the time, was powered by a version of the redoubtable and ubiquitous R-R Nene.

The Heller kit first came out in the early 1980’s, this kit has been in the stash since then just awaiting the excuse to make it, I’ve had the Modeldecals (Set 68) almost as long.

I’m very fond of the early jets and the Ouragan is no exception.

As for the Mirage, if study time permits I may make it but it’s now likely to be relegated to the Mirage GB (which I’m confident WILL make it through the poll later this year).

Here’s the kit, decals and my sole reference on the type

20150317_192532%20800x723.jpg

Good morning Wez

This book is a very good reference about the Ouragan ..

You may also find more infos on the internet ..

Patrice

• Like 1

Similar to the Vautour. That is to say nicely engraved panel lines and crisp clean mouldings. There is some nice resin and etch in the box as well. I can post some sprue photos at the weekend.

Like the title! Reminds me of the Neil Young song with same title! Re the kit I used to have one of those and used the Modeldecal set. For its time it was a very nice kit!

Very nice. I like your choice of decals. I've used a few Modeldecal sheets over the years.

Good morning Wez

This book is a very good reference about the Ouragan ..

You may also find more infos on the internet ..

Patrice

I've found a couple of useful sites including this one which has some VERY useful detail http://svsm.org/gallery/ouragan

Similar to the Vautour. That is to say nicely engraved panel lines and crisp clean mouldings. There is some nice resin and etch in the box as well. I can post some sprue photos at the weekend.

:hmmm: I've got some very nice Model Art decals which would go with that... ...I'll have to give it a bit of thought. Of course, should somebody else feel like doing one don't let me stop you!

Like the title! Reminds me of the Neil Young song with same title! Re the kit I used to have one of those and used the Modeldecal set. For its time it was a very nice kit!

You got it although tbh, I find Neil Young's singing a bit whiney.

I made one back in the day (this kit's shelf mate) and have good memories of it - just needed an excuse to make this one. In truth it still is a nice kit, the only thing it really needs to bring it up to date would be scribed detail rather than raised lines and maybe the cockpit is a bit spartan but I could probably tart it up a bit.

Wez

Edited by Wez

:yikes::nono:

Yep, that's the feller - whiney singing blokey, great song though!

Back to the Ouragan, I'm erring towards an E.C.1/4 "Dauphin" jet based at Bremergarten in Germany, 1955.

The red tip tanks with their blue bands add a nice splash of colour... ...although the E.C.2/2 "Cote D'Or" jet from Dijon has a certain appeal.

Choices, choices!

Wez

Wez, all the build reviews I have seen praise the Azur/Frrom Mystere IV as a great kit, with only a couple of provisos: the rear of the fuselage is supposed to have an erroneous shape, and the type of jet engine depicted on the model is the wrong one for most of the colour schemes offered on the decal sheet...

In my book, I translate that as a great kit!!!

JR

Wez, all the build reviews I have seen praise the Azur/Frrom Mystere IV as a great kit, with only a couple of provisos: the rear of the fuselage is supposed to have an erroneous shape, and the type of jet engine depicted on the model is the wrong one for most of the colour schemes offered on the decal sheet...

In my book, I translate that as a great kit!!!

JR

Thanks, I'm resisting the pressure at the moment but I don't know how long I can keep it up.

Wez

• Like 1

Having had a busy weekend and made NO progress with this kit, I have however done some research.

Having decided on a Dijon based E.C.2/2 jet No.202 (2-FC), it would appear that Ouragan's up to No.150 were fitted with a MB Mk.1 seat and those from No.151 onwards with the SNASCO E95 seat as seen in this link http://www.mct57.org/equipements-avions/siege-ejectable-sncaso-e95-a1-de-mystere-iv-%28avant-1967%29/ (thanks to SAU for posting the original link earlier in the thread).

My question is was this seat fitted with a parachute pack or did the pilot have to clamber into the jet with a parachute strapped to his derriere?

Wez

Edited by Wez

IIRC, heller's Ouragan kit is quite nice, the only "problem" being a little bit too big wingspan, but can't remember if it's 5mm overall, or 5mm on each side.

Beware about the H&C book, can't be said to be a good modelling reference. Barely able to give some ideas with the colour profiles.

IIRC, heller's Ouragan kit is quite nice, the only "problem" being a little bit too big wingspan, but can't remember if it's 5mm overall, or 5mm on each side.

Beware about the H&C book, can't be said to be a good modelling reference. Barely able to give some ideas with the colour profiles.

Thanks Antoine, unfortunately the H&C book is all I've got. As for the kit, I won't be correcting the wingspan as I'll never get the thing built if I do that - but thanks for the heads up.

Wez

Having had a busy weekend and made NO progress with this kit, I have however done some research.

Having decided on a Dijon based E.C.2/2 jet No.202 (2-FC), it would appear that Ouragan's up to No.150 were fitted with a MB Mk.1 seat and those from No.151 onwards with the SNASCO E95 seat as seen in this link http://www.mct57.org/equipements-avions/siege-ejectable-sncaso-e95-a1-de-mystere-iv-%28avant-1967%29/ (thanks to SAU for posting the original link earlier in the thread).

My question is was this seat fitted with a parachute pack or did the pilot have to clamber into the jet with a parachute strapped to his derriere?

Wez

I've never seen a pilot enter a Ouragan with a chute pack on the pictures I've found online so it must have been in the seat.

On this museum E95, there is a replacement cushion instead of the chutepack.

Too bad the italian seatejctcolor was attacked a few years ago. It was a good source before.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041115075341/http://www.seatejectcolor.com/seat/sedili/aeronautiche/profii/france/index.htm

I compared the Heller and Valom wings and it differs 1mm on each side.

The wingtanks with winglets have exactly the same size in both kits

ouragan%20wing.jpg

Thanks for that! It means I can include a parachute pack on the seat, in fact, I can probably get away with adding the extra bracing to make the kit seat look like a SNASCO seat.

As for the wingspan, I'm not going to touch it.

Wez

Using SNCASO (stands for Société Nationale de Construction Aéronautique du Sud-Ouest, kind of trust including Bloch and Blériot, among others) instead of SNASCO (stand for... I don't know!), you should have more luck in your search.