18002 Freedom Model Kits F-20A Tigershark 1/48

X-29 ! :Tasty::Tasty::Tasty:

Yes please :worthy:

But then again a YF-17 would be really nice as well :D

I think there is a great deal of appeal of these one offs/prototype kits out there.

• Like 2

I think there is a great deal of appeal of these one offs/prototype kits out there.

Yes it's true that those interested in these one offs/prototype kits make a lot fuss but from conversations with other modellers at my LHS a few of them seem really interested by such subjects whatever the scale.

Anyway I hope for FMK the global sales figures will be OK.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I had the Hasegawa X-29 and yes, it was 1/72. It's a lovely looking aircraft.

I have asked the team in Taiwan to consider a couple of things in this thread. However, I have got to say that I / we are leaning towards a more conventional kit for our next release.

Hmmmm, Yf-17 though lol.........

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. We can but hope.

As for a more conventional kit I'd suggest looking at the Trumpy/Hobby Boss failures would give some ideas.

1/48 Vampire single seater, Gloster Meteor (late mark), a decent Huey, or if you're thinking of diversification a Churchill Tank MkIV would do for starters :bounce: .

While recently many models of Mirage with any combination of alphabet :) are released, a Mirage 4000 would be great too. And it is easy to get measurements as it lays at Le Bourget museum.

• Like 2

I'd like to get some feedback please guys. Its the only way we will improve.

We had a great deal of help with this project from some super friends and there are many to name.

I believe Mike has the kit to review so here are some detail images since I am sure Mike will have the sprue photos:

This strange joint makes me believe that the sprues are molded at the same factory in China used by Kitty Hawk Models, Panda Hobby, and Mirror Models:

FMK18002F20ASprue.JPG

Note all the slide and multi-part molding in effect:

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail01.JPG

Instrument panel

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail02.JPG

Decal for the instrument panel:

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail06.JPG

Some flash on this part...

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail03.JPG

Cockpit tub...

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail04.JPG

Note the sliding mold to engrave the lower fuselage detail...

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail05.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail09.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail10.JPG

One of two shark nose tips (longer one is for the first prototype)...

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail11.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail12.JPG

These trunks are supposed to be open but are flashed over...

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail13.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail14.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail15.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail16.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail17.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail18.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail19.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail20.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail21.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail22.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetail0708.JPG

Excellent clarity to the windscreen and canopy...

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetailK.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetailM2.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetailM3.JPG

FMK18002F20ASpruexDetailM4.JPG

I will most certainly use lots of these parts (weapons, pylons, etc) to upgrade my AFV Club F-5N kits. It is a really well executed model but I need to dig deeper to know about accuracy and fit.

[Edit - I just saw I reached 100 posts so I can now head over to the Buy/Sell forum. too bad I already spent my August budget.]

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

You're right - we did get our review sample, but I've been away over the weekend, so it's been sat waiting for me to get back. I'll be writing my tuppence about it once I've got my brain back from the cleaners. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The F404 Nozzle is waaaay too thick. Needs a good recommendation for an AM Hornet replacement. Aires?

Would be nice if the twin AIM-9L/M DRA on the box art was actually in the kit as the 'Combat Arms' magazine shows AMRAAM in both single and twin rail launcher configurations, inboard and out.

Unfortunately, you kit looks an awful lot like the Hasegawa in terms of weapons loadout which is a shame because that particular configuration of 150 gallon tank is F-5A (early) not F-20 (F404 is too thirsty to make a difference). Twin 275s with a MER and 5X Mk.82 were more common in the test program and would have been nice as an A2G optional loadout. Mixed bag of LAU-117 and Maverick or LAU-3 rockets outboard + GAU-5 on the centerline and two 275s on the midwing would also have worked and was illustrated in the 'Wings' article on the type.

Wearing a Saudi Tornado style camo.

The Swiss got partway done with a mod for the ALQ-171 that was a scab conformal pod on the centerline with the pylon protruding through it. There was also at least one F-5E tested with an 'LDT pod' rigged under one of the inlet shoulders that looked like a shorter version of Pave Spike or ATLIS. All of which would be common by now, had the F-20 seen actual service.

Photos of Triple 275s was common for the Maritime Patrol (ASST) mission in period '82 AvLeak and there are also alternate shots of a twin 275s plus centerline AGM-84A Harpoon ASUW variant. Neither of which the F-16 could fly with.

The F-20 was a big deal to the Saudis and the Egyptians who both saw it as a way to break into local aircraft manufacture at a first-tier level with Israelis doing the Lavi just across the way. Unfortunately, a good price and firm-fixed contract MMH:FH was not enough, The Kingdom also wanted Leopard 2s and that 'help us and we'll help you' addition cracked the deal.

A good novel: _Warriors_ by Barrett Tillman, details what the F-20 in Saudi service might have been like in an all up war with Israel over Jordan and Northern Saudi.

Speaking of which, I believe Jordan was short listed on the customer list for awhile (the king really liked the F-5E he was checked out on) when they were trying to get enough additive sales in the order books to open the line. Bahrain went so far as to place an actual order, for four.

The old 'Combat Arms' magazine layout on this type which was the most accurate in terms of 'official Northrop stores charts' didn't even include the 275s but rather a new '300 gallon tank' which I assume was the Hornet's 325 with the elliptical cross section (which didn't end up going into service on the F/A-18 due to cracking under carrier loads).

Don't know what the 'short sharknose' is about but the jet which flew at Farnborough with the Red and White scheme had a short canopy like the F-5E and thickish smokewinders with only (fake) tails. I hope that the wings with their separate controls all go together well without warpage or weakness. Sometimes it's just nice to have a monopiece wing so that you don't have to worry as much about warpage and strength.

I still believe that inflight models deserve inflight stands, right out of the box and the F-20 looks best with the gear up.

My congratulations to FM for some nice work. I hope you will consider a reissue with at least some of the above mentioned weapons options and _Operational_ nation decals.

My Suggested What's Next List:

1. 1/100th Scale Bombers.

If a 48th scale fighter with this few parts is 50 bucks plus shipping, the price of tooling must truly be astronomical. Which is to say that a 150 dollar B-1B or B-2A ala Trumpeter with their Tu-22M/95/160 is just ridiculous. Nobody will buy it. 1/144 is less than a foot long and it's parts (landing gear tires etc.) are smaller than the heads of stick pins while things like weapons bays and deployable high lifts (the B-1B is never on the ground without the wings swept forward and the LES/TEF down as well as the inlet aux doors open) are equally impractical. Not least because even the Dragon B-1B cost 50 bucks when it was reissued _as a Panda rebox with new sprues_!!! Take this up to 1/100th scale and now you're talking about a 20" Spirit and a 17.5" Lancer. Which is to say, roughly the size of a 1/48th jet. Much more impressive display area and much better scale fidelity of details like the aforementioned weapons bays, landing gear, cockpit and high lifts. The point here being that, other than the generally excellent but dated Tamiya B-52D/F, this is a wide-open range in which to issue a whole BUNCH of big-jet kits like the KC-46, RQ-4 GHawk, G550 AEW&C, Sentinel R1 and E.99 Aerieye as well as a possible UCLASS and LRSB.

1/100 is functionally one half of 48th scale and as far as price point, it is an easier way to retool subjects whose last new-issue release (Monogram B-1B, Testors B-2) in 1/72nd were not that great to begin with, more than 30 years ago.

2. 1/72 A-12 Avenger.

Seriously. The Anigrand mold has been renovated and it has a clear resin canopy now instead of the awful vacform but it's still a 70 dollar model for a kit which gets most of the details wrong. For one thing, the inspection hatches which should be on the bottom of the jet are on the tope and the spoilers etc. which should be on the top are not. The LES and flaps cannot be deployed without MASSIVE cutting and hacking and weapons bays are all completely wrong in that the A-12 had scissor doors which opened up the entire lower side of the airframe from just outboard of the engine access covers to the ribs that formed the landing gear bay walls. The A-12 could carry 24 Mk.82 internally. This screwup is very hard to fix even as the 'AIM-120' weapons bay is inappropriate because that bay was only 10ft long and restricted to Sidewinders. Finally, the A-12 constantly came up short on range and this plus a significant LO problem resulted in the 'thin to thick wing' change (which the Planet Models kit more closely represents) while allowing a 'bra' to be added to the nose to fix then inlet flashback problem which significantly altered the planview outline of the jet. The GDLM 'AFX' (flying wing configuration) is essentially what the A-12 production model would have looked like, had they been allowed to fund the fixes needed to make it work.

I would also add that, while 1/72 is not popular here in America like it is in Europe, the Anigrand kit has a 12 inch wingspan which, on a flying wing, provides a fair bit of acreage as visual interest capture area.

3. 1/48 Bell/McDonnell LHX.

Another case of the coolest looking of the flying prototypes not making it into service. The BMD in it's initial artwork form, was the 'shark' looking variant with the long, teardrop shaped, fuselage, either a single or twin seat cockpit (big seller right there, most helos are twin seat only) and a completely enclosed NOTAR with tail thruster. Nose was sleek with a small radome for the AWWS-H (Longbow) radar with the optics in a faired in turret on the doghouse. It also had spoilers built into the curving 'wings' (actually a fuel tank) so it could both accelerate and slowdown in NOE flight without changing fuselage attitude and a large, tandem, weapons bay to go with tricycle gear. Looked then and still does today, like something right out of Star Wars. Sleekest chopper never built.

4. F-32 PWSC.

I know a lot of folks hated it but IMO, it had character and would have been the FW-190A of the modern era. A lot of people don't know that the X-32A completely trounced the X-35 in the up and away portion of the CDE program, as well it might with almost 52,000lbf coming out of the big-fan F119-PW-614. Most importantly, as the Preferred Weapons System Concept gained some tails (either Pelikan or Quad would be nice options) and lost it's guppy inlet, the jet actually gained a body-builder brawny look and lost the pregnant whale appearance of the original. Perhaps most importantly, this is a jet with three instant variants using basically just plug'n'play modules for the wings and STOVL direct lift doors. This could be either/or 1/72 or 1/48th with pantograph based on success of an initial, low parts count, model as the F-32 is one of those kits which begs the top/bottom pancake method of integrating all fuselage and airfoil assemblage into a single, perfect alignment, system. Like the Hasegawa F-22.

5. Boeing HELM-MD.

Basically a laser CRAM, fitted to an HMTT, kitting this would give FM the ever lasting fame of having produced what is likely to be the worlds first operational Directed Energy Weapons System. In theory, you could also piggy back it on an existing, cheap, (Italeri) HMTT or go with someone like AFV for a shared development.

In an era where all the scales are becoming increasingly saturated in terms of multiple manufacturers kitting the same subject, and particularly for a long time UCAV and quarter scale fan like me, I applaud your initial X-47 release and now my favorite jet fighter, the Tigershark. Keep up the good, innovative, work, I hope you have the commercial success you deserve.

Edited by Hit Or Miss

• 4 months later...

New.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/wolfpackd/photos/a.554832374609972.1073741832.554818677944675/957432114349994/?type=3&theater

WP48205 1/48 F-20 Tigershark F404 Engine Nozzle set (for Freedom Model Kits)
You can change more sharpness exhaust parts for your Tigershark now~!

11225206_957432114349994_736807775069453

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1