TB-25 Mitchell question

BlackAck

A long term modelling project is Revell's B-25J in 1:48. It's been stop/start owing to life plus the lack of an airbrush. My plan/hope is to model it to represent a TB-25J S/N 44-30914 assigned to the Test Pilot's School at Edwards AFB in the early 1950s:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TB-25J_over_Edwards_AFB_1954.jpg.

So, my question is would she have had the top turret removed or not? My copy of "B-25 in Action" has many photographs of post war TB-25s that were streamlined, but was this a universal modification? In the case of '914, if she was assigned to the TPS, having a top turret would be ideal. Or does it really matter?

Thoughts, ideals, irrefutable evidence are welcome.

Edited by BlackAck

TB-25J_over_Edwards_AFB_1954_zpsxb4qkxox

As other have said no turret or guns. Bigger carb intakes/different exhaust layout.

The may have been a rig set up on tail turret area for towing a target banner.

It's a cool scheme,one i've thought about doing myself..but have always been out off by the lack of info on what the upper surfaces looked like.

Hmm.. strange. Anyway, '914 is the third picture in the gallery:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2563

They also had bigger carb intakes and different exhaust arrangement
The may have been a rig set up on tail turret area for towing a target banner.

What did these modifications look like?

Edited by BlackAck

If you look at my build thread you will see what the new intakes and exhausts should look like. I have the Revell 1/48 Red Bull boxing and it has the parts for the TB-25 in it.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976001-big-bad-bonnie132-hk-b-25-glass-nose-disaster-strikes/?hl=bonnie

Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I haven't got to the engines yet, but that exhaust issue is good to know. Here's what I can tell/infer about the upper surface colours from the photograph

engine carbs are red

cockpit roof is red

elevator upper surfaces are red/yellow probably in a similar pattern to underside

upper wing tips are yellow

Some part of the winch/cable assembly sticks up from the rear position and is yellow

Edited by BlackAck

Sorry I'm late in reading your post.

Mrs Loft-full has some photos of her father and his friends working on TB-25J's at Ellington Air Force Base in the early 1950's. I don't think that all TB-25J's ended up looking the same, and there may have been variations depending on what people were being trained for. (I think it was navigators at Ellington). When I get home this evening, I'll ask Mrs Loft-full if I can scan some of her Dad's black and white pictures and post them for you. I'm trying to find some interior shots of the TB-25J's at Ellington, (or anywhere else for that matter), as I too have a particular one to build.

Didn't the RCAF also have some trainers that had essentially the same shape as a B-25 glass nose, but it was painted black? Apparently they were used as RADAR trainers and a scanning RADAR antenna took the place of the bombardier's position.

Hi,

Here's a selection of photos I've hastily scanned from Mrs Loft-full's photo album. TB-25J's, (well one in particular), at Ellington don't appear to have an upper turret.

If you need better scans or a close up send me a message.

Cheers,

Bob

BeautifulBelindaSELECTION_zpswl8izbni.jp