Airfix 1/72nd scale Tomahawk Mk.IIb,4 Sqn. SAAF, N. Africa 1942

Hiya Folks,

The finished models are coming off the production line thick and fast now and here is the latest, the nice litle Airfix Tomahawk built as an aircraft from 4 Sqn SAAF in N. Africa during 1942, using Xtradecals for the markings;

DSCF3419_zpsl38xoy8y.jpg

DSCF3388_zpssw12vgtp.jpg

DSCF3383_zpsleqk0xee.jpg

DSCF3385_zps7erz2ppi.jpg

DSCF3387_zpsnsyvgzse.jpg

DSCF3397_zpsbvlziuwh.jpg

DSCF3417_zpsqr0ynvg5.jpg

It was brush painted using Aeromaster acrylic Middle Stone & Azure Blue plus Polly Scale Dark Earth.This is a really nice kit to build and my next will be a UK based RCAF Army Co-Op version. If I was to make one helpful suggestion I`d say to cut off the wing guns before starting construction and to keep them somewhere safe until the end of the build, as they are so brittle that you`ll only lose one of them,...guess how I know that!

Cheers

Tony,

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 27

Very smart P-40!!!

Great job with a paint brush! The paint could hardly be any smoother... Impressive!

JR

When I do eventually build mine, I will be excited for it to be half as good. Getting any details on props in 1/72 scale borders om magic in my book. Very nice to see this Tony.

Cheers,

Mike

That is very nice and could easily have been to 1/48th ! I was wondering how you do the wing root weathering - just dry brushing with silver/grey or something else?

It certainly looks very effective. Also, do you brush or spray your matt varnish and what make do you use? That could be Xtracolor Matt airbrushed in my eyes but I would be intruigued to know, especially if its brushed as well.

Simon

Such brilliant brush painted kits left me alway in awe. Well done, looks superb.

The Airfix Starter kit with the 112 squadron markings is tempting me.

Thanks everybody, glad you like it!

Simon- The scuffing on the wing is done by lightly dabbing the surface with silver and then dry brushing around the more established areas. As for matt varnish, I brush a coat or two on,.....then do a watercolour wash,....which is sometimes sealed with a light spray of Tamiya spray can matt varnish. If I do use spray then another couple of coats of acrylic varnish are brushed on over the top. It all depends,.....if I`m happy with the finish after the watercolour wash has been applied I`ll just leave it there as there is less chance of buggering the model up by applying more varnish!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1