Tamiya 1:72 P-47D Razorback +++FINISHED+++

Jasonb13

Thanks Dermot!

A little progress on this today. I've half the decals done, or at least, all the Model Art Decals I need to use. I still have to add all the Tamiya ones (mainly stencils I think). I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the decals, I thought they might put up a fight, but they went on perfectly and are really good quality. Anyhow, here's how it looks, you can kinda see the yellow not being so bright as well.

Thanks...

J.

27%20Decalled%201_zpsbqbhu31x.jpg

• Like 4

A quick text only update.

I got the rest of the decals done last night, while half watching a boring Canadian GP.

Should get the second gloss coat done this evening, which means with some luck I'll at least start the panel wash tomorrow evening. I also have the bombs and fuel tank painted and ready for decals (just two for the bombs) and I have the pylons for them painted as well. Also have the undercarriage legs / wheels and doors half done.

Basically, with a bit of luck, I could get this finished by this weekend. But it's also my Daughter's birthday on Saturday, so we'll see! :)

Thanks...

J.

Hmmm... Another question!

The Tamiya kit comes with two wheel hubs, the small photo below shows them:

26%20Wheel%20Hubs_zpsrsftkbbc.jpg

One is 'spoked' and one is 'covered'. Anyhow, I don't know which one to use. The only photo I have of aircraft '13' (which Patrice supplied here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978509-tamiya-172-p-47d-razorback/?p=1929419 ) is very unclear. You can see the 'spoked' wheel in the top photo of a different aircraft, but it's not clear in the bottom photo which wheel '13' has.

That said, and I may be fooling myself, but I believe I can see enough of the starboard wheel under the wing of aircraft '13' (it's just behind the trailing edge of the drop tank) that you can't see the shadow of spokes, so I think it might be the covered one. Just looking for a 2nd opinion really, could someone have a look and see what they think?

I've also realised I don't have the right propeller. According to the decals (and that photo of '13' confirms it) '13' had a Hamilton prop (distinguished by a blunt nose cone). I believe Tamiya's kits have 2 versions of the Curtiss prop. However, I think I'll just choose the larger version (as the Hamilton prop was 13' in size, same as the larger Curtiss) and try to sand down the nose cone to make it blunt. It'll at least 'look' right... :)

Thanks...

J.

According to the new AJ Press book, co-authored by fellow BM'er Lampie, Razorback P-47's had 'hub caps' fitted initially, so unless you can find a photo to prove otherwise, use the covered wheel hubs. Can't help you on the prop though!

For those asking is the kit that good - yes it is! Once you make one of these you'll realise how inferior all the other 1/72 Thunderbolt kits are by comparison and you'll be very happy that you have a Tamiya one! I've made several Tamiya Razorbacks and Bubbletop P-47's and not even a tiny bit of filler has been required! The only extra's I use are the Eduard masks (especially for the Razorback) and Eduard Seatbelts if the canopy is closed but on the open Bubbletops, I've used the Eduard Zoom etch set (it's one of the cheaper Zoom etches).

So my message to anyone is that if you want to build a 1/72 P-47 and you're not bothered exactly which type, spend the extra money and get a Tamiya kit, they really are worth the extra!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Yep, I gotta agree, it's a great kit, though I've never built a P-47 before so I can't compare it with any others!

Progress continues, I've got the rest of the decals done, the second gloss coat done, and now the panel wash is on. I still need to wipe off the excess, but the wash really shows the amount of detail on this kit. Also have most of the undercarriage doors and ordinance painted too. So I am getting there! Thanks...

J.

28%20Wash%201_zpsghljsqmm.jpg

29%20Wash%202_zpstimv5za4.jpg

• Like 2

Looking for some opinions!

I've wiped away most of the excess of the wash, but I've still left it a little 'dirty'. Not sure if it needs more wiped away or not (and the matt coat will darken the wash a little too). So, what do people think? Leave it as is, or clean it up a bit more?

Also, does anyone know where any staining / exhaust marks might be on the airframe?

Thanks...

J.

30%20Wash%203_zpsuxxsry0v.jpg

31%20Wash%204_zpsffqikamg.jpg

32%20Wash%205_zpsmlepn3iq.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks everyone...

Yep, I'm thinking I'll leave it as it is, and I also think it'll be relatively light exhaust staining, I've found some pics online of the real thing (and some pics of great models too!) that have given me some ideas for it.

Thanks...

J.

• Like 3

More progress made...

I'm at that stage where you think 'Another hour, or two at the most, and I'll be done'. But there are always more little jobs than you realise, and they always take longer than you realise, and it's easy to get impatient and rush through them and make mistakes. So I'm trying to temper myself and take my time.

Anyhow, the airframe has a matt coat on it now (kinda Satin actually but I'm happy with it) and some of the small jobs done, like the pylons attached and the canopy unmasked. I also received the Hamilton Prop (very generously donated by 06/24!) and it's all painted up (though its varnish needs a going over I think). So the pics below show where I'm currently at.

Still need to add the bombs and fuel tank (generously donated by modelling minion!) and also do the undercarriage and doors. Need a lot more weathering as well. After that it's the guns and pitot tubes etc. Actually, the guns are a good example of a small job that's going to take longer than I thought. Tamiya very kindly drilled out the two guns already attached to each wing. Did they drill out the ones that aren't attached? What do you think? :)

Anyhow, here are the pics, more to come soon I hope...

J.

33%20Matt%20Coat%201_zpsaqfjayul.jpg

34%20Matt%20Coat%202_zpsw7eyc3xw.jpg

35%20Hamilton%20Propeller_zpsdjypedae.jp

• Like 4

Thanks Patrice... On the home straight now, and so far I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

Got lots of little jobs done, and it's now on its wheels, which is always a nice milestone! All I really have left is the guns, antenna and pitot. I want to do some more weathering too, but so far I haven't managed to find a Silver pencil, which I think will do the chipped paintwork for me quite well.

Anyhow, here's now it looks now, hopefully the next pics will be the finished build!

J.

36%20Finishing%20Touches%201_zpswizhceph

37%20Finishing%20Touches%202_zpsvu5b1emv

• Like 3

Thanks Patrice!

Well, this is a photo-less update I'm afraid. But I got lots done yesterday and I'm just about finished. Nothing left to glue, it's all assembled. Did an ok job of drilling out the other guns, it wasn't easy, using the smallest drill bit I have! Also cut off the 'bar' attached to the top of the kit's drop tank, and added it to the one I'm using, and it went together fairly well.

However, I still need to add an antenna wire, and I still need to do some more weathering. Once I have that done, I'll put up the finished photos, but it might be a few days before I get it done.

Hopefully have those photos soon!

J.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the last few things finished and I'm calling this done. I have to say I'm very happy with it, it's a lovely kit and my building and painting went better than normal! So I'm quite pleased with the results!

Thanks to everyone for their interest and help, from Wez helping me find the right decals, Patrice with some great photos, Modelling Minion for the Drop Tank, 06/24 for the Prop, and everyone else's advice and encouragement.

I took lots of photos, sorry! I'll put them all up here, and then just a few of them in the Gallery.

Thanks again...

J.

38%20Finished%201_zpseosdwteu.jpg

39%20Finished%202_zpswnkxrxd2.jpg

40%20Finished%203_zpsfyapqcyz.jpg

41%20Finished%204_zpshlw18oqw.jpg

42%20Finished%205_zpsz3hgijyu.jpg

43%20Finished%206_zpsj4nmfhlr.jpg

44%20Finished%207_zps2dgtuyih.jpg

45%20Finished%208_zpsedimn3ve.jpg

46%20Finished%209_zpsr0hjqvaz.jpg

47%20Finished%2010_zpsiinjdp3n.jpg