Tamiya 1:72 P-47D Razorback +++FINISHED+++

Jasonb13

Thanks for all your help with this.

Revell 363/74 is basically the 'gloss' version of 361/57, i.e. Gloss Grey instead of Matt Grey. There shouldn't be too much of a difference in shade, but of course there is some difference. The grey directly below the 'circled' grey in my picture is 363/74, you can tell it's gloss 'cos its coverage isn't as good. I'm going with 361/57 as it's a lot easier to paint.

That's interesting about the darker green for the P-47 cockpits. I've already started on mine, but I could repaint I'd guess. If it should be darker, would you go with the 361/65 Bronze Green, or with the one below that (which is 361/68 Dark Green RAF). That said, as I'm going to be putting a black wash on the cockpit anyhow, I might just stick with the 361/39 Dark Green as it'll come out darker after the wash...

J.

Jason -- for my money, the darkest of your three neutral greys looks the most right for USAAF Neutral Gray; at least for me, when I painted my Liberator VI, it was a surprisingly dark shade.

You're probably right about the washed colour looking dark enough, for my money I wouldn't use the "RAF" green as it looks too green for this purpose when I've used it on exteriors, for which it's fine. But there's not much difference between it and bronze green to my eyes so either would work, I think.

Jason -- for my money, the darkest of your three neutral greys looks the most right for USAAF Neutral Gray; at least for me, when I painted my Liberator VI, it was a surprisingly dark shade.

It's funny, I actually finally looked at the box art on the box (which is a picture of Tamiya's model) and that Neutral Grey is quite light, so it's a much closer match to the lighter grey above than the darker one. So I reckon I'll go with the lighter one.

Thanks...

J.

Hi all...

I thought I'd show that I've actually done something. Got the cockpit done, here are some pics:

First, the sidewalls, so they can be seen:

07%20Sidewalls_zps5tpewquq.jpg

Then the rest of the cockpit bits. The IP looks better in real life than in the pic!

08%20Cockpit%20Pieces_zpsjbnszq7x.jpg

Finally, two shots of the cockpit all assembled. It's hard to get a decent shot of it as it's all so enclosed:

09%20Cockpit%201_zpsct4zakwg.jpg

10%20Cockpit%202_zps0spchqt7.jpg

Next up is putting the cockpit into the fuselage halves and joining them together.

Thanks for looking...

J.

• Like 4

Thanks Cliff... Am quite happy with it, Tamiya do know their stuff!

Got started on the engine last night, and with a bit of luck I'll get it finished tonight and some pics up too...

J.

Another little update. Got the engine and cowling done. Firstly, the components that make up this section:

13%20Engine%201_zpsuh6trgfs.jpg

Next, the engine itself, though the Auto-Focus decided to focus on the background, sorry!

14%20Engine%202_zps0f8rvyss.jpg

And finally, the whole lot together:

15%20Engine%203_zpsb5kpo5mo.jpg

Next is putting the wings together, and then putting the wings, horizontal stabilisers and cowling on to get the airframe together. Thanks...

J.

• Like 4

Looking great. It looks a lovely kit, which is promising for the one in the stash. And the colour choices look very well made, that cowling looking a more traditional IG than the darker cockpit. Just splendid.

Thanks lads, I appreciate it.

Got the wings finished and the airframe is now completed, so it's taking shape!

16%20Wings_zpsprgxwnvj.jpg

17%20Airframe%201_zpshbtewbsk.jpg

18%20Airframe%202_zpspdtdqzcy.jpg

As expected from a Tamiya kit, it's a lovely fit, and I should just need a touch of filler here and there, nothing major.

I just need to get the canopies masked and glued on and the interior colour painted on them, then mask off the engine and wheel wells and this will be ready for primer.

Thanks...

J.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Sorry for the long delay, I've been rather busy, and not at the bench. However, I did get the first coat of primer done, and as expected it has shown up some issues (seam lines etc.). Hopefully I'll get a chance to get them sorted soon. For the moment, here's how it looks right now...

J.

19%20Primed%201_zpsk53hx7be.jpg

20%20Primed%202_zpslo1afp0t.jpg

• Like 5

Quick text only update. After some more sanding, filling, sanding and primer, I'm a lot happier with the outcome. So it's ready for some paint, though it might be next week before I get to it!

J.

• Like 2