Tamiya 1:72 P-47D Razorback +++FINISHED+++

Jasonb13

Hi all,

Well, I managed to get the right decals (thanks again Wez!) so I'll be building this kit:

01%20Box_zpsz3umkut1.jpg

and I'll be using these decals:

03%20Decals%202_zpsoh0roeb0.jpg

to do one of these four schemes:

04%20Schemes_zpsrleqxx4h.jpg

The camo scheme on Aircraft 13 is tempting, but as a brush painter I have to make it a little easier on myself, so I'll probably go with either Aircraft 16 or 38, I haven't decided yet!

I'm in the middle of another GB, so once I have that finished I'll be starting on this.

Thanks...

J

• Like 2

One so rarely sees builds of this kit, but always hears about how great it is. I'll be following this with intense, possibly slightly creepy interest.

One so rarely sees builds of this kit, but always hears about how great it is. I'll be following this with intense, possibly slightly creepy interest.

Creep away! :) Though hopefully I can live up to the kit's reputation...

J.

Jason,

Welcome to the GB, I'm particularly pleased to see the P-47 in something other than US markings (nothing against US markings, it's just unusual to see them in anything different).

Wez

Good monring Jason

Excellent choice I built the Tamiya Razorback 3 or 4 years ago using this decal sheet ..

If I can find some pics of french Razorbacks I will post them but it is very difficult ..

Patrice

• 5 weeks later...

Even though I haven't start yet, I thought it time to at least update my thread, as it's at the bottom of a very busy GB (which is great to see!).

Firstly, thanks for those pictures Patrice, it's number '13' that I'm tempted to do if I think I can brush paint the camo well.

Anyhow, I haven't started as I said, but I hope to be soon. I thought I'd put up the sprue shots:

05%20Sprues_zpsgvxjke1n.jpg

I haven't got any close-ups, but suffice to say it's of the usual excellent quality you'd expect from a Tamiya kit. They've made some interesting choices (like the tail planes and tyres not being in two halves) which will make the build just that little bit easier, thought there are lots of choices, like different wheel hubs, different undercarriage bay doors, different propellers and even different gun-sights. The cockpit looks like a mini-kit in itself, so I'm looking forward to starting on it. First things first, I need to make sure I have all the colours I need, and I want to prime all the 'internal' parts with my usual Halford's Primer.

Hopefully it won't be as long before my next update! :)

J.

• Like 1

Thanks Patrice!

Just wondering, any ideas what ordinance, if any, the French Razorbacks might have carried? I have the option of rockets, bombs and collapsible tanks. I'd be tempted by either the bombs or tanks I reckon, but would be interested to know if either of them shouldn't be used for some reason. I can't see anything under the wings of the '13' aircraft in Patrice's pic, and I could always just go with empty pylons too!

J.

I don't think that they carried anything different to what USAAF P-47's would have carried, but as per the USAAF the rocket option would have been much rarer than bombs/tanks. As they were primarily used for ground support missions they would almost always have carried bombs and tanks in one combination or another. The most usual layout for the USAAF was a bomb under each wing and a centreline fuel tank.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Craig.

• Like 1

Good evening Jason

The Thunderbolts Bubbletop and Razorback were mainly used in the ground support mission and carried 2 bombs under the wings and one center line tank but not the type furnished by Tamiya ...

That is what I had done a few years ago with a Revell kit

736425012.jpg[/uR

252811017.jpg

736425012.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 4

Jason,

Patrice is right about the drop tanks, Tamiya gives you the paper ones which were used a lot by the 8th AF but you need the ones such as Patrice has got hanging under the centreline of his P-47 (great looking model by the way Patrice) in his post above. These tanks were very widely used so sourcing one from spares should not be too bad of a problem.

Looking for some more advice!

I tend to build models without worrying *too* much about perfect accuracy. If there's something I can do easily that makes the model more accurate, I'll do it (like the different drop tank on this kit for example). However, I don't kill myself about getting the absolute perfect shade of blue or anything like that, as long as it looks close enough.

With that in mind, I've been looking at the Tamiya paint callouts and comparing them to my Revell Aqua Colours to come up with a good match. There are three that are awkward, and that's what I'm looking for advice about. I know it's very awkward to chose colours like this, as every monitor is different and so much depends on light etc. but there's no harm checking anyhow!

Firstly, here are my test paints:

06%20Paints_zpsmcfky63u.jpg

From left to right, the circled paints are meant to be 'Green' for the cockpit (XF-5), 'Neutral Grey' for the underside (XF-53) and 'Olive Drab' for the upper camo (XF-62). I'm happy enough with the Green, I don't think I'm gonna get much closer with the paints I have. But I wouldn't mind a second opinion on the Neutral Grey and Olive Drab. What do you all think?

Thanks...

J.

• Like 2

As someone who wrestles with trying to match Revel colours I share your pain. The Interior green (what did you use?) looks excellent for the RAF, whereas the right hand one of the three looks more like the darker green I associate with Thunderbolt interiors?

The Neutral grey looks a touch blue but that might be the (stop 06/24, you are viewing this on iPad through sunglasses, doh!!)

<sunglasses off>

The neutral grey looks fine! The OD looks fine for a faded colour, a touch darker might suit for freshly painted. Again, what Revell colours are these, as I shall shamelessly nick your good work!

• Like 2

Thanks 06/24...

I'm not at my bench right now, but I'm about 95% certain that the paints are:

361/39 Dark Green for the left hand green

361/57 Grey for the Neutral Gray

361/46 NATO Olive for Olive Drab.

When I compared the other greens to pics online, they definitely didn't match as close the left hand one. But, like I said, I'm comparing one paint sample to one randomly chosen pic. You only have to search Google images for any Tamiya paint colour and you'll see multiple different shades all supposedly the same paint!

For what it's worth, the upper right hand one of the three greens is 361/65 Bronze Green, but like I said, it just didn't seem to match up as well to my eyes. Of course, I'm using a very small sample, and a bigger paint job will look different; even its adjacent colours will make it look different! And I'll be putting a wash and some dry-brushing over the cockpit anyhow, so that'll change it too...

When it comes down to it I just don't want to pick a colour that makes someone go 'god, that's the wrong shade completely'! :)

J.

I can confirm that 36165 Bronze green is probably too dark in use - I've used it on my P-38 here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979870-d-day-p-38j-was-pacific-but/?p=1960530and whilst I won't change it again I think it's too dark for normal US interior green, however I think Thunderbolts used a darker green anyway, so I think for the P-47 it's still a better colour (but not for other US aircraft).

For Neutral Grey Revell list 36374, but I'm not sure how that compares to 36157.

And as stated earlier, I really like the look of that NATO Olive for sun bleached OD.