Decal sets suggestion open topic.

DominikS

4 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Does anyone even pay attention to this thread? Have any of the suggestions ever been put into print?

Possibly not, but wouldn't that be because we are asking for subjects that we would like individually and not necessarily what would make a profit for the manufacturer?

I treat these threads as a kind of wish list and then if a topic is released from my list :yahoo:

On 3/20/2017 at 8:31 AM, Tony C said:

Possibly not, but wouldn't that be because we are asking for subjects that we would like individually and not necessarily what would make a profit for the manufacturer?

Excellent point, which is why wish lists are rarely nothing more than fun conversation among enthusiasts.

Steven Brown
Scale Model Soup

18 hours ago, Tony C said:

Will tumbleweed do instead....:tumble:

Oh yeah,..... thats what I mean,...doht!! Cactus,..... what was I thinking?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's definitely time for someone to release a sheet (or two) of decals for 527th AS F-5Es based at Alconbury. Considering the wealth of colour schemes and complete lack of generic decals with which to cobble together the bort numbers, it's bound to be a best seller!

It would also fit well with their current USAFE sheets.

C'mon guys, what are you waiting for?!!!!

Cheers,

Mark.

2 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Microscale 72-366 has one if you are after 1/72.

Just the one, unfortunately, and not easy to find either!

I'm currently in the process of trying to sweet talk the Mrs into doing to artwork for some bort numbers, as I have no idea how to use Illustrator. 

I haven't tried printing onto white decal sheet yet, but I don't really have any choice, especially as Twobobs didn't see fit to release their Alconbury Gomers sheets in 1/72.

My starting wishlist would be:

1/72 VC-10 British Airways Negus and Negus

1/72 Trident 3 BEA

1/72 Viscount British Airways Negus and Negus or BMA

1/72 Boeing 737 British Airways 'Landor'

1/48 F-16 Agressor Splinter Scheme

1/48 F-16 Thunderbirds

1/48 Phantom FGR.2 1435 Flight 'Falklands'

1/48 Tornado ADV F.2 229 OCU

1/48 UH-1D Play Boy or 'Air Cav'

1/48 Bell Jet Ranger BEA

1/48 Apache British Army

1/32 Bell Jet Ranger BEA

I occasionally see some on my wishlist at a different scale, such as the airliner decals, but they are often screen rather than laser printed so don't lend themselves to simple upscaling.

• 3 months later...

I would love to see a new sheet or two for the new 1/48 Revell Tornado F.3:

-65(R)Sqn/229OCU (two styles of nose markings)

-Early 5 Sqn markings

-Early 11 Sqn markings

-56 Squadron, like ZE839 (red fin), and final markings

etc...

Some of those are on an old sheet (X48003), but that could do with an update I think?

Best regards,

Guillaume

1 hour ago, guillaume320 said:

I would love to see a new sheet or two for the new 1/48 Revell Tornado F.3:

-65(R)Sqn/229OCU (two styles of nose markings)

-Early 5 Sqn markings

-Early 11 Sqn markings

-56 Squadron, like ZE839 (red fin), and final markings

etc...

Some of those are on an old sheet (X48003), but that could do with an update I think?

Best regards,

Guillaume

Following on from that 25 Squadron's 75th (?) anniversary jet ZE838 with the silver and black spine and fin and Battle Honours banners on the front fuselage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How about RAF code letters/numbers in yellow and red?

A few different sizes on a sheet for each colour could be useful for number of different types - Hunters, Harriers & Phantoms.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1-Scale up the 1/48 Tornado GR.1 markings/stencils released for the 1/48 Revell kit to 1/32!  This would allow RAFG Tornados in 1/32, especially considering the new Italeri Tornado 1/32 kit is coming out. Minimal effort needed and I'd bet they would would sell well. Options for RAF Tornados in this scale are pretty slim, especially RAFG and the stencil side. 

2-Scale up all the new 1/72 British Phantom sheets to 1/48, I think they would sell well also with minimal effort.

Both no brainers for me!

Cheers,

David

Mirageiv's suggestions illustrate I am afraid why so few suggestions actually don't get done.

1. 1:32 scale decals rarely sell in big enough quantities to warrant doing them. We have to print a minimum quantity which is generally far more than the sale of the kits warrant. And since we also sell the kits we have a big advantage over most of our competitors who don't have this knowledge. And whatever we do some one will say they wish we had done a different scheme so picking the right subjects is very difficult, made harder by the fact that it is rarely possible to get more than two on a sheet.

2. Why would we want to do 6+ sheets of decals for 1:48 Hasegawa kits? Again we have a good idea of how well the kit sells. There would have to be a very large numbers in stashes around the world. But we have dipped a toe into this pool and there is a sheet that should be with us very soon X48186.

Sorry, but we have to live in the real world which is populated by such as the Airfix 1:72 Phantom. There are not many No Brainers!

David Hannant Xtradecals

Edited by 666nimrod
correction
  • Like 3

On 3/6/2018 at 4:07 PM, 666nimrod said:

2. Why would we want to do 6+ sheets of decals for 1:48 Hasegawa kits? Again we have a good idea of how well the kit sells. There would have to be a very large numbers in stashes around the world. But we have dipped a toe into this pool and there is a sheet that should be with us very soon X48186.

I do have more than a dozen 1:48 Hasegawa Phantoms in the stash and pretty sure I'm not the only one... And yes I'm impatiently waiting for X48186 to come out. I cross my fingers this sheet will sell well so you might consider doing more! :)

G

• Like 1

Mr Hannant, 

I quite like the RAF Squadron sheets that you have produced and was wondering if they had been good sellers for you in the past? If so, there are still plenty of famous Squadrons to go and would personally love to see a No.45 Squadron sheet. 

I would also think some new Canberra decals to tie in with the new 1/72 S & M / Mikro Mir kits might also prove quite popular. 

Cheers and thanks for seeking our feedback.. Dave

• Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 3:07 PM, 666nimrod said:

Mirageiv's suggestions illustrate I am afraid why so few suggestions actually don't get done.

1. 1:32 scale decals rarely sell in big enough quantities to warrant doing them. We have to print a minimum quantity which is generally far more than the sale of the kits warrant. And since we also sell the kits we have a big advantage over most of our competitors who don't have this knowledge. And whatever we do some one will say they wish we had done a different scheme so picking the right subjects is very difficult, made harder by the fact that it is rarely possible to get more than two on a sheet.

Sorry, but we have to live in the real world which is populated by such as the Airfix 1:72 Phantom. There are not many No Brainers!

David Hannant Xtradecals

Thank you for the reply :yes: Gives me some more understanding for sure, particularly the minimum order quantity which naturally I am not aware of exactly, also the choice of simply scaling up the sheets.  

If I can qualify my selections a little more (rather a quick post prior).

1- As you have 1/32 sales data at hand I understand (I also agree not the biggest market), but given the Italeri Tornado sales are yet to be determined I guess it is speculative at least for this kit. I think this is the problem here for quite a lot of the 1/32 market in that there are not many options at all decal wise which impacts sales. For sure many would purchase more 1/32 kits if there were more interesting options, or any at all, available. Stating the obvious but nobody is going to want to build a (for example in this instance) RAF Tornado GR1 in 1/32 when there are no decals to actually do it. So unless you only want to build a GR4 (as the Italeri kit will be OOB) you are reliant on finding the old Revell kits decals, usually going for £50 a pop just to decal your Italeri Tornado for the same old options, and only the most determined would do so. Hence no kit sale if wanting to do a GR1, noted lower demand and decal production unjustifiable (chicken vs egg almost). 

If you would humour me, my point being the Tornado specifically is maybe just about enough of a gamble to have a go at. With it being an important aircraft, modelled regularly with it's own SIG, particularly domestically for GR1, combined with sales from previous scales of this particular aircraft/decals and with a new kit coming out. Just my thoughts on this particular case but I guess it all depends on the numbers, specifically the minimum order quantity. Without knowing these types of figures everything is no more than wishful thinking from my end. 

On choice of scheme, 1/32 options are so lacking for the Tornado that anything green/grey wrap around would be welcome by most I think. Maybe choices like this are worth a poll on here? After all a lot of us will be the ones buying them and should have some constructive recommendations or even sign up for enough demand to procure the sheets.

2- Yes, more accurately I meant any sort of RAF Phantom decals that includes FG2 options (RAFG) with the different camo stencils. Not nessarily 6 sheets, maybe 1-2 max with various options like X48186  then a separate stencil sheet to purchase. Much like your excellent 1/48 Tornado GR1 sheets. It is a well known problem in modelling 1/48 Brit Phantoms, the lack of decent decals, heck I think a lot of people would buy the sheets without even having a kit in the hope of finding them or further releases by Hasegawa. 

Given all the research has been done already for all these schemes, requiring a scaling up/choice selection/sheet ergonomics and with all the sunk time/costs, I still think these two particular cases are strong.  'No brainers' was a term of persuasive optimism rather than disbelief of their existence! :D

Cheers,

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Just watched a Netflix documentary called “The last Man on the Moon” which was quite a good story about US Astronaut Eugene (Gene) Cernan. 

Now I’m not sure if this has ever been done before, however I was just thinking that a decal sheet which included various aircraft flown by famous US Astronauts might be an appealing idea. It would certainly catch on in the US, and I’d say that there’s plenty of space fans out there in the wider world - me included. 

This sheet could include various US aircraft from both WW2 and Korea and perhaps (not quite sure) some Vietnam war era aircraft. 

If this decal sheet has been done before can someone guide me to who may have produced something like this in the past? 

Anyway - it was just a thought. 

Cheers.. Dave

• 3 months later...

My choice would be for some transport aircraft declals, especially for the MikroMir 1/144 Argosy and Beverley.

It was recently pointed out to me that there are a number of errors in the kit transfer sheet for the Beverley, so that could well be a decent win for Hannants.

At post No 7, thanks to @AMB for showing that lot.

All the best,

Ray

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 5:26 PM, Seahawk said:

Amen, brother! Testify! The number of projects I have stalled because the kit manufacturers have misinterpreted codes as white vice yellow (eg MPM/SH Grumman Goose). Have been nagging Hannants, RAFDec and anyone else who didn't flee out of earshot quicklyenough for yellow codes for years. Even did a poll on this site which dredged up, oh, 12-15 people who were interested. Although catering for the many and varied styles used by the FAA would be nice, just redoing some of the current Xtradecal WW2 letter and number sheets in yellow vice white or read would be a welcome start: minimum cost because no new artwork. At a minimum I'd like to see 18" and 24" sizes with a nice number of each character. Oh, and in 1/72, of course.

Red codes outlined white is definitely number 2 on my list.

Number 3 would probably be a dedicated East Indies Fleet national markings sheet, with plenty of small roundels, modified fin flashes and modified upperwing roundels in the outside diameter sizes appropriate to EIF aircraft. Maybe even a few with white outlines for late war Corsairs and Hellcats.

I've changed my mind: no. 1 priority for me is now the generic East Indies Fleet markings as above.  I've just realised how dependent I am on my dwindling stock of ageing and now unobtainable Tally Ho (Canada) sheets, which were accurate in size, colour and proportions, unlike some of the more recent sheets (Xtradecal, Aeromaster, Freightdog) which are usually slightly to dreadfully off in at least one of those parameters.  There are rules dictating the markings' size and proportions so the research isn't rocket science (i).  I'd happily do it myself if any transfer manufacturer showed an interest.

Still want the yellow and red-outlined-white code letters and letters though.

(i) Not that a few attested non-standard ones would go amiss either.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2