Hi all

I've not built a model aircraft for a couple of years now, but just after Christmas I had a massive urge to build a Lightning. So, following a visit to my local model shop, I came home with the Airfix F.2A/ F.6 kit.

The kit itself was lovely to build, not many issues with it at all, this is the result:

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

While I was building the Lightning, I remembered I also had an Airfix Buccaneer which had been sat on the shelf of doom for well over 5 years!

This was recovered from the shelf and also finished off:

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

This kit had already been built and sanded, so just needed finishing off. The decals behaved really well, even though some are out of register. The Sea Eagles were missing from the kit, but due to the kindness of Caerbannog, 2 replacements were received and fitted.

Next build was the HobbyBoss Hawk T.1A, which I spotted in the local model shop. This was a beautiful kit to build, with hardly any filler required anywhere. The inclusion of etch seat belts really helps the cockpit come to life. There are extra wing fences on the wings, but these were easily removed. Here is the completed build:

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Next on the list is a Hasegawa 1/48 Harrier Gr.7.

Any comments/ constructive criticism more than welcome, thanks for looking

Antony

Edited by Antony Robertson
  • Like 13

Hi Antony,

Superb builds you have there! Nice work indeed.

I completed the Lightning last year and had real problems with the cockpit tub fitting in, leading to some real amounts of plastic having to be removed from the 'pit sides. Did you encounter anything similar, or did it behave itself with your build?

Looking forward to seeing your Harrier in the future!

• Like 1

Splendid builds there. Your 2015 is looking pretty similar to mine! I've finished a Buccaneer and half way through the same Lightning. Both in 1/72 though.

Good luck with the rest of your year, so far so good!

• Like 1

Whoa another one already, that Harrier looks awesome.

What scale are the Red Arrows Hawks ordered by your daughter going to be ?

Keep up the good work.

Rick

They were going to be 1/32 scale Revell ones, but then she saw the Airfix 1/48 gift set with the 50th anniversary tail, so that had to be the one. The second one is another 1/48, but will probably be an Italeri one as I haven't built one of those yet.

The Harrier has been on the go for a couple of weeks now, picked it up at the Yeovilton model show in February for the princely sum of £14 as the decals were damaged. Luckily these are mainly on stencils not used on the 20 Sqn one.

Antony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Time for an update.

I've finally finished the Hasegawa 1/48 Harrier GR7, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I'd read loads of horror stories about fit of this kit, but either I was lucky or mine looks terrible because I had no issues with it at all.

Finished in a mix of Humbrol and Tamiya acrylics, dirtied up with Flory's dark wash and top coated with Vallejo matt varnish.

Now to find some more of these kits to build, as I've bought the retirement schemes decal sheet and there are lots on there I like:

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

My current build of an Airfix 1/48 Red Arrows Hawk is stalled due to the rain preventing spraying, so I've decided to join the Spitfire bandwagon and have just started the Airfix Mk.XII. I might even do a WIP on that one.

Comments welcome as always

Antony