Hobbyboss HSS-1 French Navy

stevej60

Here,s my first entry for this GB folks,the Sud-Aviation assembled CH34.Over two hundred were built for the French armed forces

the navy retiring their last one in 1979.The Hobbyboss kit looks great in the box and should build up well if past experience is

anything to go by.Box top illustration and decals to start with and some sprue shots when the build begins,the colour scheme is

dark blue overall with a large yellow area on the top of the fuselage.

123424-15582-76_zpsfmximxy7.jpg1434_87215decal_zpst1bdfycm.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

H-34?

Aéronavale?

The designation is HSS-1.

I was thinking that - different undercarriage leg arrangement?

No, I'm mistaken, that's the HSS-1N

Edited by Wez

I walked past one of those every day of my air force service and I just love its shape!

It is going to be a wonderful model, especially in the Aeronavale colour scheme.

Have fun

JR

• Like 1

Off we go then! I,m now following Stew,s build it then paint it mantra as far as interiors go,it worked a treat on the Defiant so I'll repeat it here.

There are some ejector pin marks that need filling on the cabin floor and as the starboard door will be open also filled them in on the port fuselage.

there is a machine gun and mount for the doorway but a little research is needed to see if the navy used this set-up,here,s the cabin pre-painting.

SDC13115%20640x442_zpsdam54ruj.jpgSDC13113%20640x448_zpsozqgilsc.jpg

• Like 1

Morning folk,s here,s the interior built and painted.It,s difficult to find photo,s of the interior specific to the french version the best I have found were of

a Luftwaffe version of the same era so this is the best I could come up with.I added some evergreen strips to the lower cabin after filling in the multitude

of ejector pin marks and added the instrument panel above the pilot,s seating which is not represented in the kit.

SDC13125%20640x419_zpsgp0kjlmt.jpgSDC13126%20640x480_zpsh8hdhjwa.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all today,s session over and once the interior,s in there it,s a really quick build.A little filler here and there and a sand over the joint,s and she,s

ready for primer which means masking the windows who,s surround,s I pre-painted before I fitted the glazing,popped on the cockpit glass for the

photo and no fit issue,s sprang up.Thank,s for looking in.

SDC13128%20640x480_zpsvfnuursi.jpgSDC13130%20640x480_zpspcclxixu.jpg

• Like 5

Morning folk,s,Primed last night which revealed only a couple of area,s that needed a touch of filler now done.I started on the paintwork with the

yellow,I only really use yellow for prop tips and the odd bit of detail in a cockpit and Humbrols new acrylic hand paints well although with a slightly

"gritty" texture.It,s had two coats and one more will suffice.

SDC13131%20640x480_zpscfp0jwh1.jpg

• Like 4

Morning ali,today i have got some colour on and I,m quite pleased with how she look,s,I need to touch up a couple of small area,s of the yellow

and tomorrow once fully dry I will also finish round the window,s and dry brush the mesh intake cover,s which although not obvious from the photo,s

are very nicely done from Hobbyboss.Thanks for looking in.

SDC13135%20640x480_zpskjmhkpyd.jpgSDC13134%20640x465_zpst8qpsqb3.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

This looks excellent Steve.

Don't forget that the finish of these HSS-1s was not mat, but quite gloss. Semi-gloss varnish should do the trick at the end!

Good luck and watch your table!!!!

JR

• Like 1

This looks excellent Steve.

Don't forget that the finish of these HSS-1s was not mat, but quite gloss. Semi-gloss varnish should do the trick at the end!

Good luck and watch your table!!!!

JR

Thank,s Jean I have a Vallejo satin which gives a nice sheen without making it look toy like.

Bonjour ce progres de matin,Decals on fuselage,dry brushed detail and a light gray wash in the panels.The decals are "crap",no depth to the white

and brittle as hell my heart was in my mouth all through the process! I need to give the kit a final clean up with a damp tissue and a satin gloss coat then on with the rotors!

SDC13137%20640x440_zps6ddzxzbl.jpgSDC13138%20640x480_zps1fuzaikm.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6