USAF air bases in Vietnam - multi-types on same base?

bootneck

An idea I have for a Vietnam air base diorama is to have more than one aircraft type near to each other. Problem I have is that I don't know whether one would have found two or more different types of aircraft, for example: F-4; A-7, A-4, F-100D, F-104 etc., adjacent or close enough to each other to fit on a diorama. In order to build something, that would fit on a suitable sized base, I would be building 1:144 scale aircraft

I've trawled the web and found photo's of all the above aircraft but they appear to show just one type in their own revetments/squadron lines. So a line of phantoms or Voodoo's etc. but I've not seen a mix. Anyone have any definitive information that shows more than one type close by on an air base?

cheers

Mike

As you said each type had their own areas on the same air base however at common areas you can find different types. As the example here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gone-walkabout/6837696157/sizes/l/in/photostream/

a Marine F-4B, AF F-4C and a B-57 all at the engine run up pad. Another common spot would be at arming-dearming area and of course you could always have a visitor parked beside other types as in this case of an A-4 visting Danang:

http://366th-tfw.net/Robert%20Bell%20Images/PICT0098%20(2).JPG

Jari

If you're going for 1/144, and want a lot of variety, I'd suggest looking into Tan Son Nuth AFB. This was the main airport for Saigon, so you had a lot of traffic there, both civil and military transports, B-57's, RF-101's, RF-4's, AC-47's, AC-119's, A-1's and whatnot. And both the USAF and the VNAF used the base. Also check youtube, quite a few clips there.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, those are excellent photo's and links and I now have a basis for a diorama plan.

If you find any more then I would still appreciate seeing them. Every little helps :thumbsup:

cheers

Mike

I think I am looking for something that has a Vietnam airbase look to it. Some of the images above (thanks for all of them :thumbsup: ), especially those in open areas look as if they could be anywhere, even an air-day. Those, like the F-5's and the F-104's have revetments and other definitive background settings which make it obvious to the observer that it is a Vietnam scene.

Please don't think I am ungrateful or negative, I really do appreciate the info provided so far, it is just that I'm looking for something that looks theatre specific.

Again, thanks very much for your input as I wouldn't have found many of those details myself.

Mike

Here is another one showing the F-104 and KA-3 much closer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xbanker/2899497350/sizes/l/in/photostream/

In most cases a tarmac is going to look the same no matter where it is, there are exceptions like this part of the flight line at Korat AFB in Thailand:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/A-7D_Corsairs_354th_TFW_at_Korat_1972.JPG

But the rest of the Korat tarmac was ‘normal’:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Vought_A-7Ds_Korat_1972.jpg

Your best bet would probably have an a/c with South Vietnamese markings on it.

Jari

• 1 month later...

I have a further question please: Were any US Naval or Marine squadrons deployed ashore for protracted periods (not just visiting/refuelling/re-arming)? Or were these squadrons always based on the parent carrier? I remember in Borneo that 845 Naval Air Squadron (Junglies) used to deploy ashore, to Kuching and Nanga Gaat, for protracted periods of a few months during the Confrontation; so I wondered if the US Navy or Marines did similar in Vietnam.

I'm thinking about a scenario of more than one of these aircraft on the line in a more established setting; with all the usual surroundings:- revetments, tractor/trolleys, tool trucks etc., and not just a single aircraft in the visiting area?

cheers

Mike

interesting info!

would not have fought that aircraft would be parked that close together after the 1967 war ....

look at the Starfighters at Udorn please!

thanks everybody for the excellent pictures!

The USMC had many units based ashore during the war, some units for very long times. Chu Lai, and Da Nang were major bases with USMC units, and later, in 1972, Nam Phong in Thailand was used too. Da Nang was a base with both USAF and USMC units, but each had their own corner of the base. The US Navy didn't deploy any combat units ashore, afaik, but of course they visited the various bases regularly for various reason.

Thanks Pete,

I'm thinking of doing a dio which has the hardstandings and reventments etc., but with a selection of aircraft. Most pictures I've been shown seem to show the mix of visitors stuck out on open areas and therefore that could be anywhere.

I'll probably go with Bien Hoa, post 1965 after the disastrous fire (caused by a starter cartridge flying off and hitting a bomb); which led to the fitting of Revetments.

view 1

view 2

view 3

Mike

Cool. Will you build one of those DC-130's too?

The plan would be to build a dio of that corner area, in the views on the links, with some revetments and a perimeter area. That way I should be able to get a C-130 and a C-47 on the outer corner area, as in the photo's, plus some jets in revetments on the inner area. I may even try to do the area in the background with the A-1 Skyraiders.

I shall probably have to reduce the scales, in a sort of perspective view, with something like a 1:144 C-130 at the front, the jets in revetments at 1:350 in the centre ground, and have the Skyraiders in 1:700 at the back.

This could all end up as pie in the sky though!!

Mike

Interesting photo on View 3 !!! Alot of types, including what appear to be Teledyne Ryan RPVs and DC-130 controller aircraft.

Thanks Pete,

I'm thinking of doing a dio which has the hardstandings and reventments etc., but with a selection of aircraft. Most pictures I've been shown seem to show the mix of visitors stuck out on open areas and therefore that could be anywhere.

I'll probably go with Bien Hoa, post 1965 after the disastrous fire (caused by a starter cartridge flying off and hitting a bomb); which led to the fitting of Revetments.

view 1

view 2

view 3

Mike

That's an interesting view Jari, especially as it shows a Marine squadron shore-based. I think the early revetments would be a bit more complex to construct so I'll stay with the later steel construction versions.

Thanks for posting the link.

Mike

Revetment dio I built a while ago in 1:144 scale.

Revetment_components1_resized.jpg

P1140036_resized_800.jpg

Interesting photo on View 3 !!! Alot of types, including what appear to be Teledyne Ryan RPVs and DC-130 controller aircraft.

Yes, that's the drone compound of the 556th Reconnaissance Squadron's (formerly 4025th RS Red Falcons) base area at Bien Hoa between 1966 and 1968. The Hercules is indeed a DC-130 control aircraft

Mike

I have just checked out an area to use for my diorama; at the moment it is a base from a previous build so would need repainting, the ground built up for a Far East environment, plus the addition of buildings and hangars etc.

Following on with the concept, of different scale aircraft staged one behind the other etc., I dug out some part-built models and laid them out for check/testing.

At the front is a 1:144 scale C-47 Skytrain set in a scratchbuilt revetment; this is followed by a couple of 1:288 scale C-5 Galaxy's; and then some revetments in 1:350 scale to the rear. The aircraft In the background are also 1:350 scale; consisting of a C-130 Hercules, some F-4 Phantoms and A-7 Corsairs.

These aircraft would probably not have all been based together at the same airbase, especially not in such close formation, they are just to test the concept. Once sorted out, I shall probably source other aircraft models - perhaps replacing the 1:144 scale C-47 with a 1:144 scale C-130 and a 1:200 scale C-47 replacing the 1:288 scale C-5 Galaxy for instance

Early days yet, and still researching layout and types of aircraft but at least (I think) I now have a plan. :mental:

Thanks for all the information and advice you have sent in so far. :winkgrin:

Mike

Concept_1_resized.jpg

Concept_3_resized.jpg