Notre camionette de pain quotidien ( et d'autres )

06/24

Bonjour mes amis!

My first thoughts when asked about La Belle France aren't wingy things (although I thought about a Rafale) or tracky things (although I thought about a Le Clerc). No the first thing I think of is food (and the second thing is wine!).

What could be more French than a bread van? (I did briefly contemplate doll's house scale baguettes, maybe later, if we get hungry!)

But a bread van on its own would be a bit, well, plain, ne serait-il pas?

So I thought it ought to have some company. (Plus at first I couldn't find the Tamiya/Ebbro 2cv van I originally thought of). My LHS had an Ebbro Renault 4 on its shelves, and the R4 was the most produced French car ever, so that fell into my hands. Then some googling showed me they did a van version (chapeau Bengalensis of this parish) and then that the Revell 2cv seemed to be highly regarded. So one of each of those was obtained.

But wait, the van sold in the UK doesn't come with the iconic La Poste and Renault Service decals? Pah, then my friends we must order one direct from France, bien sûr. Cherbourg Maquettes did the honours, and helpfully confirmed by email that the desired decals were in the box.

Googling to find a French supplier told me that Heller were about to release a hard top R4L with Police markings. More googling suggests this may be a tie in with Ebbro, who haven’t released a hard top but have tooled one, which is available as a spare part. So back onto the internet, and a pre-order has been placed with Heller. Alas, it hasn’t arrived yet, although my card has been charged, so I’m impatiently hopeful. (Those with a memory for French films of the 1980s will perhaps recall that a little blue police car has a brief cameo in Betty Blue).

So here’s the cast for this little experience. I’ve never built a car kit before, so be gentle!

16818736662_c7e720a527_c.jpgPain quotidian by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

As Enzo said, these really are the essence of this GB!

My first thoughts of France usually are food and wine, you'll have me desperate for some baguette avec du pate de campagne at this rate!

Really want to see these.

Wez

• Like 1

We all had 2 CV and 4L when we were young, doing things and going places with them that had never been dreamed of by the manufacturers.... And we survived, even if the cars did not always.

I have shed a few tears of concentrated nostalgia, I feel better already and now I will wait to see these wonderful models built!!!

Have fun!!

JR

• Like 3

As Enzo said, these really are the essence of this GB!

My first thoughts of France usually are food and wine, you'll have me desperate for some baguette avec du pate de campagne at this rate!

Really want to see these.

Wez

Good morning Wez

Rather than Pate de campagne I prefer some Paté de foie gras truffé on my baguette

275096patedefoiegrasdecanardtruffe130g.j

I can almost smell it

Patrice

• Like 5

Itching to get started. A few small glasses of something French and fizzy to pass the time until we begin. Would I be allowed to get the parts out and photograph them on Friday, the 25% stricture doesn't apply to photographs?

• Like 1

Itching to get started. A few small glasses of something French and fizzy to pass the time until we begin. Would I be allowed to get the parts out and photograph them on Friday, the 25% stricture doesn't apply to photographs?

Jon,

Taking photos is fine, it's gluing parts together etc that isn't

• Like 1

Well now this GB has really started something. Heller plan to release, alongside the R4GTL, a Citroen Mehari and then towards the end of the year a Citroen Type H van! My cup runneth over! Although the GB will be long finished, imagine all the possibilities a Type H would bring! (Oh and a petit Gris as well.)

• Like 2

I am loving this, I love the Renault 4, reminds me of my yoof when the sun always shone!

Nice image. I think the two saloons will have to be built with the roofs rolled back. I'm rather envisaging a market square somewhere in the southern (ish) half of the country...

I'm rather disappointed with the seats in the 2cv Fourgonette, which don't have the spindly tube frame and cover look that I had expected. The images I've seen of the forthcoming 2cv pickup show much better seats, I wonder if Ebbro will make them available separately?

However, in the more likely event that I have to scratch build, does anyone know a source of dimensions for the seats? I have much to learn, some intensive research is needed tonight. Chassis colours, engine bay and block colours, and so on.

In the French boxing of the Renault van, the suggested colour for the chassis and wheels is Tamiya AS20, but this is insignia White. Whilst I could believe this (just) for the wheels, I thought the R4 chassis was black?

Finally, a question for the experienced car builders. Do you spray the body shells before assembly, or do you add the details and then mask?

Cheers

The R4 chassis was indeed black, floor inside too. The body shell was bolted to the chassis after painting. The floor behind the rear seat is part of the body shell though.

Usually paint the body separately, you may see a bit how I did in my fourgonnette WIP.

Thanks, your Fourgonette WIP is a source of inspiration for this build, and I've filed away many little snippets for future reference.

However, being a typically bloody minded Brit, I've started with the Revell 2CV, for a variety of probably spurious reasons - it has the trickiest paint job, so I might as well get it out of the way first; it was the cheapest kit, so if I foul up it matters less; and it can be the hors d'oeuvres for the Ebbro main event!

The first 90 minutes or so build time have brought this:

16260542843_f946ecd863_c.jpgFirst stages - Revell 2CV by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16693130960_601f7f2971_c.jpgFirst stages - Revell 2CV by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16694405419_1a8d506647_c.jpgFirst stages - Revell 2CV by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 1