1/48 Kittybhawk AH-1Z

Whoo, not many!!! Enormous thanks, Sir.

I ran into the same issue on my Whisky build, the turret was molded solid and had to be opened.

From a few books and massive 'googling I came up with a 'decent representation' from my spares bin.

Scroll down for the gun pics of my build:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/sets/72157626246224729/

That is a very sharp piece of work! Any more real and you'd need some sort of permit...

*Edit*: It would appear that KH would have you install a nose-weight in the gun turret; this chopper is a notorious tail-happy craft so I'll probably skip the ammo box and bung a few lead chain-weights (for curtain hems) in the starboard 'cupboard' instead. Maybe a few under the 'pit as well...?

Edited by AngstROM

I used US Nickles in the ammo bay on mine to keep her nose down, you can see them in my pics.

Granted thats 1/35 scale so you may not need as nmuch weight up front.

Im really tempted to get one of these Zulu's....now how do I sneak it past the wife

Whoo, not many!!! Enormous thanks, Sir.

That is a very sharp piece of work! Any more real and you'd need some sort of permit...

*Edit*: It would appear that KH would have you install a nose-weight in the gun turret; this chopper is a notorious tail-happy craft so I'll probably skip the ammo box and bung a few lead chain-weights (for curtain hems) in the starboard 'cupboard' instead. Maybe a few under the 'pit as well...?

G'day Angstrom,

My cunning plan is to install nose weight in the void between the left and right equipment bays. That is one of the reasons I left out the plate behind the gun turret.

I mentioned this in my thread.

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day Angstrom,

My cunning plan is to install nose weight in the void between the left and right equipment bays. That is one of the reasons I left out the plate behind the gun turret.

I mentioned this in my thread.

Pappy

You did indeed, Sir.

Forgive me, I'm daydreaming about mine and what I'm gonna do with it, while it is yet in the clutches of the Royal Mail -for some reason, I'm really stoked up about the thing. Probably because it's off my usual beat of pointy things with thunder-pipes.

You did indeed, Sir.

Forgive me, I'm daydreaming about mine and what I'm gonna do with it, while it is yet in the clutches of the Royal Mail -for some reason, I'm really stoked up about the thing. Probably because it's off my usual beat of pointy things with thunder-pipes.

Pay attention at the back, there will be a quiz afterwards!

I like to build things as well, usually loaded up with woosh bangs and death bringer missiles,

cheers,

Pappy

More progress,

G'day people. This build is really picking up speed now. The fuselage seams have been tackled, and although they may look like they sucked up a lot of putty, it was really only a few spots that needed to be taken care of.

The worst fitting part so far was the fuselage crosspiece that bridges a void immediately in front of the canopy.

160_zpszzxsijwo.jpg

161_zpszvbahoku.jpg

The crosspiece had a step either side that required some blending with filler

The lower fuselage needed a smear of filler here and there but was relatively painless,

159_zpspbveqiip.jpg

158_zpsasjfnuid.jpg

and finally the intake seams

156_zpsecyhrdkz.jpg

157_zpsydn3edwg.jpg

The landing skid cross tubes suffer from some ejector pin marks so these had some blobs of sprue glue applied and left to cure.

166_zps8xbguqpl.jpg

I have also commenced work on the ordnance.

The AIM-9's are some of the nicest kit AIM-9L/M's I have ever seen from a manufacturer. There were a couple of ejector pin marks that need to be dealt with first, so another application of sprue glue followed

164_zpsv17vvyng.jpg

Meanwhile the AGM-114 Hellfires were assembled. KH supply the bodies as a solid molding, requiring only a few wipes with a sanding stick to clean up any mold seams. The builder has a choice of two seeker head types, the older (earlier) AGM-114B/K seeker heads or the new, longer, laser guided AGM-114L, which is what I opted for,

166_zps8xbguqpl.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

Very nice indeed!!!

Loved the cockpit and engine!

The only thing that looks nicer than the kit itself is the scratch building you're doing to improve it. This is going to be good I have no doubt!

Thanks very much for your comments, keep them coming.

I was playing around with the rear stabilisers. KH have moulded these with a circular mounting pin, this is great as too many manufacturers depict these with with a fixed, slotted tab that only allows the builder to glue them in a neutral pose. Not all helicopter stabs are moveable, but I am pretty sure they are on the Cobra family. I wanted the stabilisers to be joined so that they moved in unison, not because I like moving features ( I don't) but it will allow me to pose the stabs in a spot of my choosing. In order to do this, I drilled out the centre of each mounting pin and inserted a small length of brass wire into one half.

114_zpsuy0cdpio.jpg

Once fitted, the end of the brass pin will be glued to the other stab.

115_zpsmfbxzozs.jpg

[[/url]

The stabs are just dry fitted here but the idea seems to work okay.

116_zpsytnhnsi7.jpg

117_zpskduqp6to.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

You're making a lovely job of this, Pappy. It may not be a pointy whoosh-bang, but I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark night if he didn't like me!

Me either!

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Two steps forwards and one backwards today. I followed the KH instructions and drilled out the holes for the weapon hardpoints before gluing the stub wings together. The problem is that you have to pick only one set of inner holes to drill out as different stores use different hardpoints, something which is not overly clear on the instructions. The extra holes will now need to be plugged up, so I stuck in some chunks of sprue

167_zpso6levm0c.jpg

I also cut off the moulded in tie down rings and made new ones from copper wire

168_zpscmgrhhvz.jpg

So I spent most of today making the gun mechanism that will be seen through the bottom of the gun turret. I started by casting a copy of the M-61 breech

170_zpssvhf9t2o.jpg

Bits were added to busy it up and make it look less like an M-61 and more like an M-197

171_zpscolthuuf.jpg

172_zpsqh9ofwap.jpg

The turret interior also got some love

173_zpsrepiwanf.jpg

My bodgy attempts don't really resemble the real deal very closely, I am just trying to give an impression of what is there rather than actually replicate every detail, so apologies to any ammo guys out there if this has fallen short of the mark,

I have given the gun mech a basic coat and dry brush, it looks promising,

181_zps29adcan7.jpg

182_zpslcdvdtte.jpg

The turret interior looks like it is grey inside but I shot it with some black since I was painting the barrels anyway

184_zpsrhjztunx.jpg

Quick and dirty dry brush of the barrels

185_zpsk4lzfw67.jpg

To protect the barrels during the build I cut down a drink straw and slipped it over the barrels

186_zpsbqlklrfv.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

Wow, I don't know where to begin, there's so much genius going on here!

Besides from everything else like your own casting and such I really appreciate the ideas about the brass linkage for the elevators and the straw over the barrels.

/Erik

G'day people,

A little more progress today. The stub wings are on and she is beginning to resemble a chopper.

189_zpsm7fmcai9.jpg

188_zpscxnkpcmu.jpg

188_zpscxnkpcmu.jpg

I have started to play around with the TSS. The first step was to make a casting of the kit parts. This means a total screw up of my efforts won't matter as I can always resort to the original kit parts.

190_zpstt5plg6q.jpg

191_zpsd83jtu3s.jpg

The casting plug also makes doubles as a handle whilst I am working on the bits,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I have been playing around with the TSS some more. O filed the bulged sensor windows flat and then drilled the windows out to provide a little depth. I then punched out some clear discs and coated them with some holographic film. This is not the final version, more like a proof of concept,

194_zpsvktjkfuq.jpg

Some dry fitting to get an idea of how it will play in situ

196_zpsuw0d87eb.jpg

197_zpsiislt9cu.jpg

198_zpsuhmttkdu.jpg

199_zpsgk68cbie.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

G'day people,

I spent some time painting the cockpit today.

The equipment bay components also got a splash of paint

cheers,

Pappy

Loving the colours of the tub and seat.... great work.

Edited by Greg B
Not loving that you quoted multiple pictures which makes scrolling through a pain for tablet and phone users.
  • Like 1

That's great progress you're making Pappy. Tell me, where did you source the holographic film and where did your source the breech mechanism for the M61 that you cast?

Always enjoy seeing your engine detailing too.

Cheers,

Mick

Wow, this is really impressive, what fantastic attention to detail, and lovely paintwork.

Eng

That's great progress you're making Pappy. Tell me, where did you source the holographic film and where did your source the breech mechanism for the M61 that you cast?

Always enjoy seeing your engine detailing too.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the comments fellas. Mick, the glib answer to your questions is 'my spares box'

The gun breech was from a Verlinden detail set I think? I bought a bunch of orphan resin bits and pieces a few years ago at one of the PX meets, a guy had a box of random resin leftovers in various scales for 20c each. I bought all sorts of seats, cockpit tubs, panels etc. I managed to identify a lot of it. The prismatic film was sources from some chrissy decorations that someone had discarded in the street. It was some sort of star with streamers. My supply is slowly dwindling .....

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I got to put the gun bits together today.

The turret assembly was painted up, and the inner details were picked out with a brush.

001_zpsajzp1ohr.jpg

003_zpsd3nftvig.jpg

I did not go nuts here as most of the interior will be obscured by the breech mech.

Having previously scratched up the gun breech mechanism, the breech was installed into the turret.

004_zpsdgjp3hny.jpg

005_zps9zknrvhs.jpg

007_zpsbdknt6xr.jpg

I don't think this will fool any Viper chiefs or crew dawgs out there, but it is an improvement over the kit part which was basically just a featureless plate with a nasty seam across it,

012_zpsicmaivoa.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3