1/48 Kittybhawk AH-1Z

G'day people,

The Kittyhawk (KH) arrived in the mail and I could not help myself so I started to put bits together straight away.

Naturally enough, construction begins with the cockpit so I decided to start on the engines instead. In fact, due to the modular mature of this kit, I will be jumping around around a bit sequence wise.

This is where the first mistake of the kit is evident. KH provide two complete engines, however, the left and right engines are depicted as mirror images. This is incorrect as in reality, both engines have the same orientation with respect to the various sub assemblies. This means that the left engine is correct however the right hand engine is completely wrong.

Taking the line of least resistance, I have decided to close the right hand engine panels and only have the left (correct) engine on display. I did however assemble the right engine and its bay and installed these into the right fuselage as I thought this would help align the rear shrouded exhaust part as well as stiffen up the fuselage half which otherwise has a rather large opening allowing it to flex

011_zpsxwnr5opq.jpg

Although the bay fits well, I wanted to make sure it did not come adrift so some extra styrene was added to beef up the structure.

008_zpsjjyb0puz.jpg

The left engine halves were now assembled

003_zpscseoorjd.jpg

Before I could assemble the left engine bay, there were some annoying ejector pin marks to deal with.

002_zpsxf0vnr9h.jpg

The majority of the ejector pin marks are situated in places that are not visible when assembled, but a few will need to be dealt with.

29_zpsrihpjeov.jpg

30_zps4gtg91hz.jpg

Meanwhile, the exhaust fairing was assembled. It went together without any fit issues

28_zpsiayo9pyb.jpg

26_zpsdtdr3y38.jpg

Still on the engines, the last job was to clean up the ejector pin marks inside the air intake parts

001_zpsqxles8ex.jpg

22_zpsmxedc0fs.jpg

23_zpsuxjxf7if.jpg

Well, that's all for now,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

Really nice! I'm in the middle of putting together the new F-86D and I find that the ejector pin marks are really bad on this kit. There's a half round rod of plastic on just about every single one of them. I'm really interested to see how this kit goes together.

Although I'm not much on helos, I think I'll have to get one of these!

Nice work so far, Sir, and good catch on the engine thing too. Apologies if you've already seen this, but there is a quite useful build thread on Z-5 that outlines some other details/issues and has a couple of pics:

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=28926

Also Flying Leathernecks' 'teaser' for a forthcoming product:

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=28866

Hmm, a bit OTT for my taste, but there may be some nice options if the HMLAT schemes in the kit don't set your trousers on fire...

Thanks everyone for your interest.

Angstrom, I didn't know about those, but I think I will opt for a more anonymous working chopper. I have been following 'intruder 500' 's work over at Z5, but I didn't want to post a competing thread.

The work on the donk continues.

The KH engine is quite nicely detailed straight from the box but I wanted a 'busier' looking donk. The KH engine bay, the engine core consists of 4 assemblies;

The bay itself which is already assembled, the engine core, a particle air separator and an plumbing line of some sort. The engine core was detailed with the addition of some bits of wire and leftover PE. My philosophy is not to replicate every nut and wire, but to give an impression of the details (based upon references) whilst not going overboard.

40_zpsg6ijojeg.jpg

41_zps1dgrvrda.jpg

42_zpsbbeljlus.jpg

42_zpsbbeljlus.jpg

Everything was now given a basic colour coat

54_zpskmzrohlh.jpg

Detail painting ensued and I ended up with this:

60_zps15a5cwxb.jpg

61_zpsoskvobfb.jpg

62_zps7a8b7faj.jpg

63_zpsopxnpb4u.jpg

65_zpskonyjelu.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 10

G'day people,

A little more progress today.

Having completed the left engine, the engine assembly was installed into its bay and some additional wiring was added to busy up the engine bay,

74_zps2knojg3o.jpg

75_zpslb8iuzxr.jpg

76_zpsfp6e1xqq.jpg

77_zps9tkjjjf2.jpg

Satisfied, the left engine bay assembly was installed into the left fuselage

78_zpsvj4qpwul.jpg

The lower engine access panels double as work platforms on the real jet, and they feature a small box like structure which is missing from the kit parts.

86_zps55z0votq.jpg

I knocked up a representation using some plastic card

97_zpsy9b5trwz.jpg

98_zpshr3rouze.jpg

99_zps9l2dobe7.jpg

008_zpsssfnkcab.jpg

Meanwhile the engine air intakes have been fitted

[/url]

25_zps4lpiekda.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 11

Thanks everyone for your interest.

Angstrom, I didn't know about those, but I think I will opt for a more anonymous working chopper.

My thoughts also -I'd like to see what else FL will be offering on the sheet though.

My kit is now on its way, so this thread is stoking my enthusiasm with 100% Proof inspiration! That engine looks the very business.

Thank you everyone.

More progress. I have begun to assemble the cockpit.

006_zpsb5iedl9z.jpg

31_zpsxgyayixf.jpg

The heart of the assembly is the tub to which the various bits are added. The tub is blemish free, however the seats have ejector pin marks which I dealt with. To be honest, these would be very difficult to see but I fixed them all the same. The cockpit sidewalls also have a couple of ejector pin marks which were easily dealt with using a sanding stick.

009_zps3v3shawc.jpg

There are also a couple of armor panels which have a nasty ejector pin mark on one side. These are very visible through the large cockpit glazing so it pays to do a good job on these.

014_zpsycmqtser.jpg

015_zpslvoflhzg.jpg

Once these items were cleaned up, assembly was very rapid,

32_zpsmcul7lwv.jpg

33_zpsqoadrbjy.jpg

Everything dry fitted to ensure there will be no problems. In another on-line build, the builder was able to install most of the cockpit items after the tub was installed to allow for ease of handling and masking, but I will be completing the tub before installing it. I will however leave off the collective levers as these are just begging to be snapped off and offered to the carpet monster!

KH also provides detailed forward left and right equipment bays. This is where the next major error in the kit surfaces. KH provides an assortment of avionics boxes for these bays. Once again, the left and right bays are mirror images of each other - which is wrong.

The bays are in fact one complete bay with access doors on each side, rather than two separate compartments as depicted by KH. I can live with the separate compartments, and you could either have only one only one door open or close both doors and this problem goes away. However, a further issue is that the right equipment bay is where the 20mm ammunition magazine for the M-197 gun is located. As already mentioned, KH provide avionics boxes for the right hand side and a moulded feature in the middle of the floor. The box like structure was removed.

010_zps3jy4owzh.jpg

89_zpsjuvz5pss.jpg

I decided that i would scratch up an ammo magazine for the right side using reference pictures (based upon the AH-1W which is very similar apparently) and some guesstimation!

90_zpsriwjpq2p.jpg

91_zpsathnrbve.jpg

88_zpsid5oeekf.jpg

The left hand bay does have avionics boxes present but it seems that KH based their research on the AH-1W because the contents aren't quite kosher here either. I cut up and re-arranged what they provided to more resemble my refs. I also needed to scratch up a fire extinguisher (firex) and a battery.

96_zpsgkavml7u.jpg

93_zpssnzmq1rm.jpg

95_zps5slxymho.jpg

The firex is just dropped in, it will be mounted to the upper right corner when the time comes.

92_zpslutiwtu1.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

G'day people,

I spent some time painting the cockpit today.

001_zpsqwfww1jf.jpg

002_zpssdr9xhiv.jpg

003_zpsjayf6bnc.jpg

005_zpsueumhibx.jpg

The equipment bay components also got a splash of paint

007_zpsqrtny0pi.jpg

008_zpsssfnkcab.jpg

008_zpsssfnkcab.jpg

011_zps4slhlc8s.jpg

The right hand bay items dry fitted

012_zps98t9ox5y.jpg

and with the seats added

118_zpsxo3vqkhh.jpg

119_zpstlznafek.jpg

Finally, the firex painted

126_zpsfb06hdqj.jpg

and for a size comparison

127_zpsgulrwhwq.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 8

I must say there's some blitzing building speed on display here, especially considering all the extras scratched and added. It all looks very good!

Is the seat harness included in the kit?

/Erik

I must say there's some blitzing building speed on display here, especially considering all the extras scratched and added. It all looks very good!

Is the seat harness included in the kit?

/Erik

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975145-ah-1z-viper-148/

Well, moving along, the major assemblies are starting to come together now. The fuselage has been closed up and the tail boom added. No major fit issues there.

135_zps6f9qreif.jpg

128_zpsrmyi9d3n.jpg

The boom parts fit very well with hardly any filler required.

134_zpsiy1z4dfm.jpg

The forward fuselage however was a different story, especially the seam along the belly.

132_zpsv9rvlxsw.jpg

I think the issue is that the two halves are joining across a flat surface. I is not going to be a major issue, but compared to the rest of the kit, it is the only part that has really need filler so far.

The shrouded exhaust unit was also added.I have read in other online builds that this has been problematic but I had no issues. I did test fit before gluing and found that a quick swipe with a file around the rear engine bay firewall helped the fit.

129_zps8fnbguz9.jpg

The 20mm gun ammo drum was also installed after painting

130_zpssp4yyki4.jpg

131_zpshh4t4zmk.jpg

KH would have you install a blanking plate behind the gun turret to close off a void

140_zpsclayzwxn.jpg

I left this part out. It will need to be blended into the front fuselage with filler as there are big gaps at the edges. The gun turret completely blocks this opening so adding the part would be a wast of time anyway. I can also use the opening to add nose weight, adjusting until I get enough to prevent a tail sitter.

While all that was drying, I began work on the next area that needs attention - the gun turret. KH have moulded the bottom of the turret solid, but in reality, the bottom is open and the gun mechanism is visible.

First up, join the turret parts, then mark out the material for removal.

012_zpsicmaivoa.jpg

Next up, remove offending material,

39_zpsfal7ga0v.jpg

The KH gun barrels are very nice, commendably thin in fact, however the barrel clamps are way over scale. So I decided to use an aftermarket brass item. Here it is all assembled

137_zps5qyjorxk.jpg

136_zps3x7pd1w7.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 9

Also a good point about the bottomless turret! Anyone know if there are any photos of the breach inside on the net? Managed to find this, which gives a tantalising hint:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/AH-1Z_lands_on_USS_Makin_Island_LHD-8.jpg

Or maybe I'll have to (*shock, horror*!!!) buy a reference book...

• Like 1

Do these help at all?

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/ah-1w/images/ah-1w_08_of_24.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/ah-1w/images/ah-1w_09_of_24.jpg

M197 Automatic Gun

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/m197.html

Edit: Apologies to Pappy. Hope that you do not mind the inclusion of these photos. Fantastic work on this build.

Edited by Av8fan
  • Like 1

I ran into the same issue on my Whisky build, the turret was molded solid and had to be opened.

From a few books and massive 'googling I came up with a 'decent representation' from my spares bin.

Scroll down for the gun pics of my build:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/sets/72157626246224729/

Edited by Shawn M
  • Like 1