Weathering of space shuttle model

playingbassguitar

I have a 1/72 revell space shuttle model. There are two things i was wanting to get ideas for. The first is the best or most realistic way to make my shuttle look weathered. I have hand painted most of the detail and would like to try and stay away from decals because of this. The second thing is the cargo bay. I would like to add some type of material to it that will make it look like the real padding that is in the cargo bay. Thanks for any hints tips, or suggestions you may be willing to pass my way!

Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal3/2301-2400/Gal2345-Shuttle-Bacon/00.shtm

Basically, go hunting for white textured tape of any sorts you can find in hardware stores or Boots' medical supplies. As for weathering, you're unlikely to see one with the cargo bay open and heavily "weathered". The tiles get scorched on re-entry, but they were thoroughly refurbished before each flight, so on-orbit with the bay open, they are pristine.

I've got a stack of reference images, but they are a BIG stack, so PM if you want them!

bestest,

M.

Wow! Thanks for the link to the pics Mike. Those are amazing. They will help out a whole lot, especially with the rear of the shuttle. I wasn't able to find any photos that showed the wing really well where it goes up against the body. Your photos show this section really clearly. That must have been amazing to see the shuttle that close up.

Matthew I will PM you soon to get those reference images. I will look into the tape too!

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to some photos on pintrest of my shuttle project. I was wanting to buy the payload bay kit, but they seemed to be unavailable. I decided on using styrene sheeting. I cut out each panel, then super glued a piece of vinyl bed sheet cover onto it until it was three layers thick. I can then fit the whole sheet into place inside the payload area. I think I will use pastels to add weathering details to the shuttle. https://www.pinterest.com/andrewallenshep/space-shuttle-model-project/ Let me know what you all think of how it looks and be honest. I'd rather know now before it gets glued in place!

Edited by playingbassguitar