Italeri Junkers Ju 88 A-17 1/72

Hi, here is a build of mine, from the past. Not from my stoneage but quite old, done in the 2000-2002 time frame.
If you build the Italeri offering of this well known type, you can do what ever you want, it won t look like a Ju 88 build from the box. That kit was probably the first time, that i noticed, a bad looking kit is not only my fault.

While the wave pattern, sprayed free hand on,was quite good, i decided to make some changes, to bring it more to the real thing.

-the nose cone got some strokes with a sanding stick
-The props were shortened to achieve the look of the massive wooden propellers
(the two this engine nacelles are way to slim, so undersized props are not to bad)
-the undercarriage is way to long, i cut of most of the oleo strut and the tires lost some air pressure
-the brooms protruding out of the canopy were cut back, the simulate the look of the MG 81
– The canopy was polished and got a layer of clear

The L1 code of KG 26 should be the small one, may i change this in the future.
The rebuild and the pix were done in fall 2014.
Could be a Ju 88 ? I hope you like this oldtimer

Cheers
Bernd

16626846500_acb0bb5443_b.jpg16191878934_2231388548_b.jpg

16813119322_d65dcc4e12_b.jpg16788358066_b5692b4bf6_b.jpg16626680048_e2b2a26bce_b.jpg16788366776_7479b09e2f_b.jpg16626861560_36be33ab7c_b.jpg16813146781_982d916592_b.jpg

• Like 28

Excellent build Bernd, very good camouflage. The weathering looks spot on as well. Joe

• Like 1

Thank you Simon, the camo was sprayed free hand on, with my Badger 150 in company with my ancient compressor.

On the Revell compressor, you can choose -on and -off.

You can do a lot with mixing more or less thinner in the paint to get the paint job you want.

That is very nice indeed and a very brave choice of colour scheme which has been executed superbly,....really well done!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you Tony, i am glad you like this one. One of my modelling dream is, to convert the Revell Ju 88 A-4 1/32 into a A-4 (torp) or A-17 Torpedo Bomber.

Thats the best scale for a paint work like this.

• Like 1

Real stunner of the Junkers Bern. I'm working on the Italeri He 111H-6 my late grandad gave me over 10 years ago, rescribing and all.

Hope it can come out looking as good as your '88 so I can do him the honor.

Good luck with your He 111, rescribing the older Italeri 111 is probably a better way, than working with the newer Hasegawa (Revell) kit.

The Hasegawa kit, with its trenches on, will look finished like a die cast metal kit.

Can't belive is that old kit.

Well done. The camo looking really nice.

Well done

Thank you very much for these warm words. The newer Hasegawa and Revell kits are way better and more accurate but Italeri managed to produce thin and open dive breaks. The newer kits from Zvezda are a joy to build but they share the same faults like the Italeri kit with some more.

I'm no Ju88 expert so it looks great to me, very nicely done.

Duncan B

Thank you Duncan :-) I am glad you like it. Refurbishing older kits is fun and bring back a lot of memories.

One of my modelling dreams is to convert the Revell Ju 88 A-4 1/32, in such a torpedo bomber with this camo, should be a nice sight

Super job on an otherwise poor kit, the paint scheme is spot on and the weathering very effective.

Thank you very much, it is a poor kit but it looks way better than my Hasegawa Ju 88 G-1, modelling is sometimes strange.....

Love a well built Ju88 and this one rates as one :goodjob:

Thank you very much, your pic from the 88 shows some of the flaws on the Italeri kit

That's a challenging scheme you've taken on but pulled it off superbly, love the weathering and that squiggly camo :)

Thank you very much, it must have been a good day for me, to get this camo on. :whistle: