AT-ST - Bandai 1/48

I've been really blown away by the way Bandai have engineered and tooled this kit. I've never built anything by them before so I don't know if this is normal for them but it really is a well thought out product. As Mike mentioned earlier, it's just a shame they don't push their products to the international market more, especially when they acquire a licence like Star Wars.

I'm really interested to see what they do with the AT-AT (if it goes ahead). Some people have suggested that it will be 1/48 but I think 1/72 is more likely (still hoping for 1/48 though)

I've just got the R2/R5 two-pack on pre-order from HLJ. I'm hoping to add some lighting to them but I'll wait and see how much internal space there is first.

Andy

Bandai does good work, when they want to. They are the major producer of plastic models from the Mobile Suit Gundam anime, and it is something they devote most of their attention to. As far as 'pushing' their Star Wars kits to the international market more, that is unlikely, due to the licensing deal being to make the kits for the Asian market. While they won't be impossible to find overseas, they can't be officially imported and distributed in places like Europe or the US. In Europe. Last I knew Revell Germany was the license holder for Europe, and is now (or soon will be) selling the old Fine Molds kits there, that can't be sold in Asia now due to Bandai's acquiring of the license.

• Like 1

Have you seen the price of these on the bay?

Free postage? I'd want a personal courier!

Looks like I'll have to order a couple.

At HLJ prices it's a shame not to.

Still love the paint, Andy.

• Like 1

Got a bit more done before work this morning. I coated the base with plaster last night and I've now base coated it in a dark brown

16699802537_eb69844e51_c.jpg

Which will subsequently be covered with this

16699799617_7946bd8c44_c.jpg

This is a forest scatter mix from Reality in Scale which I've had knocking around for a while looking for a use and this seems appropriate.

To give you an idea of scale, here's the legs mounted on the base. There's two pieces of sprue stuck in the mounting holes in the bottom of the feet which drop into corresponding holes in the base. I'll probable have to scrape some plaster back from under the feet so it sits level and gives a better sense of weight

16719455458_1e23b9e285_c.jpg

One small problem has arisen. When checking the smaller components this morning I noticed that the grenade launcher which mounts on the starboard side of the head had developed a stress fracture

16719696160_38eae92a45_c.jpg

Fortunately it's on the side facing inwards so won't be seen. It seems to be the result of the very tight tolerances of the parts as they join. I'm hoping it's an isolated incident as everything else seen OK but, for anyone else building this I'd recommend lightly scraping or sanding the large location pins before joining parts as the fit of many of them is very tight and may be putting too much pressure on the surrounding plastic.

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 3

Interesting! Seeing the AT-ST standing there on the base with no "head" immediately gave me an idea of an AT-ST trailer! So, imagine an AT-ST connected to another AT-ST that doesn't have its "head" but instead has the legs/base/engine unit, as seen on your base, but with some type of "star wars-ish" carrying platform for spares, droids and equipment.

One of those hoses on the front of the AT-ST trailer thingy could connect-up to the main AT-ST unit so that it looks like a Sci Fi Star Wars version of a US Willys Jeep. :banghead:

Then I had another idea for a "drone" AT-ST with a modified "head" with a huge cannon mounted on it, similar to the Stryker M1128 Mobile Gun System but with droids in/on it? :mental::frantic::coat:

• Like 2

Interesting! Seeing the AT-ST standing there on the base with no "head" immediately gave me an idea of an AT-ST trailer! So, imagine an AT-ST connected to another AT-ST that doesn't have its "head" but instead has the legs/base/engine unit, as seen on your base, but with some type of "star wars-ish" carrying platform for spares, droids and equipment.

One of those hoses on the front of the AT-ST trailer thingy could connect-up to the main AT-ST unit so that it looks like a Sci Fi Star Wars version of a US Willys Jeep. :banghead:

Then I had another idea for a "drone" AT-ST with a modified "head" with a huge cannon mounted on it, similar to the Stryker M1128 Mobile Gun System but with droids in/on it? :mental::frantic::coat:

I think that's a great idea. You have to assume that you only see a fraction of the Empires infrastructure in the films. The model is well suited to conversion. I like the notion of drone walkers. You could make one as a command unit along side a squad of remote drones

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 1

I think we're on the final stretch here, the base is finished although I think it could use some ferns or other bushy leaves as it's a bit flat at the moment

16298191573_aa7be99585_c.jpg

Unfortunately I spoke too soon about there being no more stress fractures. About an hour after taking the previous photos of the muddy feet last night, I noticed another crack along the left foot

16918210015_d9d0883153_c.jpg

I think the plastic was under tension and was probably softened by the spirit wash I used to fix the pigment causing the crack. Annoying but I'll put it down to battle damage and sit listening for any ominous snapping sounds coming from the display cabinet.

Hopefully I'll get the final shots up later tonight.

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 4

Wonder if it is the plastic that Bandai uses for the kit?

I think the main culprit is the VERY tight fit on most of the parts (which is good as far as it goes but does put a lot of pressure on certain areas) but I suspect the plastic may also react poorly to a spirit based wash. It's something I'll bare in mind when I build some of their other SW kits.

So, I'm calling this one done and I wanted to thank everyone who has followed this (short by my standards) build. Despite the problems with fractures (which aren't that major in the grand scheme of things), the build has been great fun and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to any SW fan and it makes a great subject even if you don't like Star Wars (apparently there are such people!)

I'll leave you with a finished shot before I move it over to Ready for Inspection

Thanks again everyone and roll on the next Star Wars build

Andy

16732260558_367e341462_b.jpg

• Like 13

So so good! Chewie seems happy too - "ROOOOAWWWWWRRRR"

The Gunpla guys mention that Bandai plastic can become very brittle when exposed to enamel thinners, the usual culprit seems to be cracking at joints, particularly on poaeable Gundam suits and the like. I think that if you paint parts separately and then weather in-situ you have a good chance of the thinners and washes seeping into the joints (which of course aren't painted so the parts fit properly).

FWIW I generally stick my Bandai things together a bit more and paint them in one piece - mainly because I like sticking things together - and I have yet to have any nasty cracks (that I'm aware of!)

Will

• Like 1

The Gunpla guys mention that Bandai plastic can become very brittle when exposed to enamel thinners, the usual culprit seems to be cracking at joints, particularly on poaeable Gundam suits and the like. I think that if you paint parts separately and then weather in-situ you have a good chance of the thinners and washes seeping into the joints (which of course aren't painted so the parts fit properly).

Thanks for the info Will. The problem with this was that even if it was all stuck together before painting, the design of the leg joints meant that it would be hard to get any paint in the nooks and crannies and a wash will find any corner to creep into. I may stick with acrylic washes on future Bandai stuff.

amazing, totally amazing.

just one thing. chewy's AT-ST was well known for its scar on the front panel. not criticizing, just saying

Atstendor_zpsrwhu4rqz.jpg

Yes, know about the blast mark (which you do get on the decal sheet) but I wasn't specifically modelling the one from Jedi. I just added Chewie cause I'd painted him and didn't want him to feel left out of the photo shoot :)

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite serious with my colection... basically only modern jets in 1/48 and just few helicopters. However I can feel a little temptation after saw this lovely kit... And your thread doesn't help too much!

It's an amazing work what you have done so far!

Congratulations!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm I missed this build so have only caught up after seeing the RFI thread. Masterclass in painting and bring out the realism in the moulded detail, beautifully done!

• Like 1