AT-ST - Bandai 1/48

That does look good so far. Like the Chewie figure too, but surely they should have also included a couple of Ewoks for the cabin?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone

I would look at maybe blue/grey for a pin wash I think brown like black maybe to much, just a thought but your kit looks great.

A lot depends on whether I go with a snow or forest base. I'll use a warmer tone wash if I go with the woodland setting and a cooler tone if I go with the snow. In either case they'll be quite subtle

That does look good so far. Like the Chewie figure too, but surely they should have also included a couple of Ewoks for the cabin?

A couple of Ewoks would have been good, that way you could recreate the scene were corpsey (aka Nanta) gets blasted :wicked:

OK, so I've been working on the legs and the cockpit. The legs are very well engineered as most of the joint seams get covered up by other detail parts. The feet are well done too and the whole foot cap can be painted separately and added to the leg later which will make painting easier. The shrouds that sit on top of the feet and cover the toes are moulded quite thick when in reality they should be a thin sheet material so I thinned the leading edge down

16225172354_35c81910fc_c.jpg

For anyone who has the Star Wars Archives book, you can see that the kit appears to be based on the smaller 38cm studio model rather than the big 86cm one as the foot detail is slightly different on each one.

The 'toe' is attached by a ball and socket mount which will allow some articulation

16659944108_cfd69939ce_c.jpg

I've added some additional detail to the cockpit. I had to remove the mounting blocks for the drivers which left the seat pads a bit rough so, to avoid an awkward clean up, I added some sculpted pads from plasticard. I added the bar behind the seats from brass tube and rod mainly to have something to attach harnesses to and since the pilots would enter through the roof hatch, I thought they'd need something to step onto. The other bits are just random greeblies to add some detail. I'll add the harness straps from lead foil before painting.

16225168464_a375aa9fc0_c.jpg

16821662926_99d41ecacb_c.jpg

16660157300_3e153ddd62_c.jpg

Andy

• Like 7

A bit more work done on the chicken walker. I ummed and ahed about the weathering on the mid section and in the end decided to go with the regular techniques I use on armour builds. It seems to have worked OK and I'll most likely apply a similar finish to the rest of the build. It was all done with various shades of oils either thinned as a wash or applied neat and blended into the surface. I'd normally add a clear coat before any weathering but as the Gunze paint was satin to begin with and the weathering wasn't heavy I went straight over the paint. I may matt coat it at the end but I quite like the subtle sheen it currently has

16861984475_51b647dffe_c.jpg

16861982445_798ae45450_c.jpg

16674384348_df1829a772_c.jpg

16860943951_5430744bc6_c.jpg

The cockpit is also essentially done. I didn't go overboard with details as not much will be seen although I think I'll leave the roof section removable as you'd see nothing at all with it in place. I suppose the main colour should have been grey but I wanted to get a bit of variety into it as the exterior will all be grey so I went with a pale green (RLM 02 in this case) and picked out a few panels in Panzer grey

16654678097_25212ee3d0_c.jpg

16239612274_2c1d81dbd6_c.jpg

16242002963_05288bce54_c.jpg

16674580290_534183d357_c.jpg

16861968365_bf3ca2caaa_c.jpg

Looking at the photos, there's a few areas that still need the wash cleaning up but, once that's done I can get it buttoned up and get the exterior of the head together.

Andy

• Like 10

It's really beautiful - I love the touch of yellow on the inside. I like seeing Star Wars stuff that goes outside the look of the film a bit, makes it hyper-real like this.

Will

• Like 1

Small update

The cockpit is together now and I've been priming the exterior panels for the 'head'.

I've primed in NATO black again and I sprayed the large side panels in a streaky pattern to act as a pre-shade to the grey and give it a patchy, weathered look

16254627674_7dc8e65814_c.jpg

I also chopped the solid moulded barrels off the side gun and replaced them with brass tube

16690868189_8fbdd5f24f_c.jpg

Should get the grey on tomorrow and then it's just the legs and the final assembly and weathering plus I need to start working on the base. I've got a 6x4 frame I'll be using, just got to cut an insert for it and then sort out some forest scatter material.

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 5

If I'm going to continue to watch your builds, I'm going to have to invest in a bib to catch the drool that keeps appearing whenever you post.

You do some seriously amazing work Andy and I continue to learn new things about painting.

Thanks for sharing this !

Simon

• Like 1

Grey, grey and more grey

16866347426_ee0ecbec6d_c.jpg

These have all been primed/based in NATO black then Medium Sea Grey followed by highlights by adding increasing amount of off-white to the MSG. They still need a few details picking out with paler greys to add to the contrast and a final drybrush before the weathering commences. I'll keep the head fairly clean and concentrate the bulk of the weathering on the legs and feet.

Close up of the head. The modulation gets a bit lost under the studio lights

16269869394_5124717c7b_c.jpg

The 'skull' mounted on the waist/pelvis. All the head panels are just a push fit onto the skull

16704833300_50781fa703_c.jpg

Actually, every piece in the first photo can now be assembled without a drop of glue which is why I've been able to paint it all separately. The tolerances are quite tight so once they're together you'd struggle to get them apart again without damaging the paint.

I've also been working on the base. I've glued a piece of plasterboard into a deep picture frame and I'll build up some ground work with wall filler. I'm going with an Endor-esque forest base so I'll paint it a suitable colour then add some vegetation

16706087599_4842849efa_c.jpg

Andy

• Like 5

Wow! Amazing. The engineering on this kit looks like nothing I've ever seen before. It seems obvious to me that a heck of a lot of thought and planning has gone into this kit by the people at Bandai. It bodes well for a hopeful and possible AT-AT in the future!

• Like 2

Wow! Amazing. The engineering on this kit looks like nothing I've ever seen before. It seems obvious to me that a heck of a lot of thought and planning has gone into this kit by the people at Bandai. It bodes well for a hopeful and possible AT-AT in the future!

I've been really blown away by the way Bandai have engineered and tooled this kit. I've never built anything by them before so I don't know if this is normal for them but it really is a well thought out product. As Mike mentioned earlier, it's just a shame they don't push their products to the international market more, especially when they acquire a licence like Star Wars.

I'm really interested to see what they do with the AT-AT (if it goes ahead). Some people have suggested that it will be 1/48 but I think 1/72 is more likely (still hoping for 1/48 though)

I've just got the R2/R5 two-pack on pre-order from HLJ. I'm hoping to add some lighting to them but I'll wait and see how much internal space there is first.

Andy

• Like 2

Your work on this is fantastic Andy although I have said that before… feeling like a stalker now.

Inspired so I've placed a HLJ order for this along with the R2/ R5, which was always going to happen as my favourite Star Wars icon from childhood is R2D2. Also the C3P0… R2 without C3P0? I'd just like a bigger scale really.

• Like 1

Your work on this is fantastic Andy although I have said that before… feeling like a stalker now.

Inspired so I've placed a HLJ order for this along with the R2/ R5, which was always going to happen as my favourite Star Wars icon from childhood is R2D2. Also the C3P0… R2 without C3P0? I'd just like a bigger scale really.

Yeah, I agree, 1/12 seems a bit small for an astromech, I'm guessing about three inches. 1/6 would have been nice but I suppose 1/12 is a reasonable scale for the full height figures and this way at least they can all be displayed together. I'll be picking 3PO up as well, I'm hoping to do them from the sail barge, 3PO with his eye hanging out and R2 with his tea tray.

A little update before work ceases for the evening. Been putting some of the head panels on and it's finally starting to look like a walker (though not necessarily like a chicken) rather than a load of grey plastic. The mouldings are so crisp it really looks like it's formed from metal rather than styrene

16896706742_3a40871552_c.jpg

Andy

• Like 10