A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

A sad testimony to the fragility of life, however a life lived to the limit where many will look back and wonder what they achieved with their finite number of breaths.

All respect to an obvious leader in their field.

MD.

• Like 2

Many apologies for being so late to the party Steve! Delighted to see you start these two - and looking forward to more tales of derring do! I have a grand total of zero photos from my time at 4FTS and 234 Sqn - really regret not recording that important era of my life. Still, I did have to go back and repeat BFTS about 10 times between those events!

I have a grand total of zero photos from my time at 4FTS and 234 Sqn - really regret not recording that important era of my life........

Never mind Tim......I bet some interesting stuff is etched on your memory.........like with how many rounds you actually hit the flag? :)

Nice Piccies MD :) Particularly like the Jag 4 ship. A beautiful shape in the skies........(sigh)

Actually there's also something of a tragic irony in those piccies..

The (then) student pilot quoted on the Hawk Ad went on the fly Jags - also flew the F117 Stealth Fighter on exchange with the USAF (before the rest of the world knew it existed) - become a test pilot with the RAF and later BAE and then tragically died displaying a Hawk for BAE - actually the single seat Hawk 200 - at an airshow in Slovakia in 1999. Quite a well known crash.

Ooh yes,Graham Wardell.

Never met him in person,but saw him demo'ing Hawks for BAE(and the RAF IIRC),he just could

wring one out well.

Damn fine work on the tubs there Ste.

• Like 1

Steve has obviously mastered it, but some might find the following applicator tip useful for attaching to syringes to get fluid resin into "difficult" corners of moulds prior to set:

Disposable%20Pre-Bent%20Dispenser%20Need

They can be purchased from EBay as "Disposable Pre-Bent Dispenser Needle Tips 20pcs 20G BLACK Luer Lock Slip Dental"

They look ideal MD, does the gauge make much difference when using them with resin? I might put in an order for a 100 25 gauge if they will do the job, £6.99 INCLUDES FREE POSTAGE (but has to travel a long way from Shanghai)

Does that sound OK to you?

Steve does your mould for the tubs have a cut at the back so you can pull the piece out easily or does the mould deform enough to release without cutting it?

The coamings especially look very good

It is a real shame about Graham Wardell, the name and incident rings faint bells too

Shows no matter how good we are there's always a few don't beat the clock.

Terrible for that to happen when he'd been so lauded by the Service though, makes you think

They look ideal MD, does the gauge make much difference when using them with resin? I might put in an order for a 100 25 gauge if they will do the job, £6.99 INCLUDES FREE POSTAGE (but has to travel a long way from Shanghai)

I'll bring a few of those to Cosford for you as well if you like :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I'll bring a few of those to Cosford for you as well if you like :winkgrin:

I won't ask

BUT I will accept gratefully

We'd best watch out for angry traders at this rate :)

I can give them a try before I decide whether to buy a ship load ;)

• Like 1

Steve does your mould for the tubs have a cut at the back so you can pull the piece out easily or does the mould deform enough to release without cutting it?

No cut Bill. The mould seems elastic enough to allow the part to be pulled out pretty easily.

I've found that pulling the mould gently apart seems to release the surface adhesion a little and then a firm pull on the pouring lug and out it pops :)

It's given me more confidence for the bang seat casting. I've glued the big-cheeked (Wallace look alike - thanks Keith....) headbox to the seat now whereas I had been thinking I may need to cast it seperately

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

PM sent - Sorry to hijack the thread Steve.

Edited by MolarDoc
  • Like 1

Ah yes, just remembered, the stuff CT recommended is what I use too, very fine material to play with

I'll be ordering more soon

And to square the circle, just ordered twice as much as the first order

:thumbsup:

Trying to make some lovely tapered drop tanks for a build not far away

Ran out of RTV but with half the mould done, exactly as I hoped

edit, this isnt thread hijacking this is adding info to the modelling cloud ;)

Edited by perdu

And to square the circle, just ordered twice as much as the first order

I've just taken delivery of some too. Ta for the reccomendation CT.

I've been largely awol from the modelling bench for the last week or so cos of work - and as it happens I'm away from home for a couple of days as I type this.......but now that I've got some more RTV I'm about ready to have a bash at creating a mould to cast the bang seats.

This is what I've cobbled together as the master:

image.jpg1_zpscwiyafxi.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsnch4bhf0.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsazhi10er.jpg

The head box cheeks stick out quite far and there must be a risk that I'll rip the head box off trying to get it out of the RTV mould. For this reason I had thought about casting the headbox seperately - but recent experience with the coamings and tub has persuaded me that the RTV is soft and malleable enought that I should be able to tease the seat master out without damage.

We'll see - I'm sanguine about it......

I'm also not sure how well the mould/casting will pick up the bits and bobs - I'm sanguine about that too :)

I've left the back pads and the harness off for simplicity - I'll add them individually and so hopefully add a bit of character. Also I'll probably model the rear seats with the solo flight aprons in place.

So not a lot of progress - but if all goes to plan I should have 2 pairs of seats to combine with the tubs and coamings by the weekend.

Steve

• Like 13

Nice work again Steve. Good luck with getting the seats out complete- while I've found the RTV has no trouble picking up the small details, I have about a 75% failure rate in getting 72nd scale seats out of the mould in one piece. But I'm sure you'll have more success - & it must be possible as Pavla, Quickboost etc all manage it. I'm sure I'm just clumsy...!!

I've just taken delivery of some too. Ta for the reccomendation CT.

Tis good stuff, just not my shade of pink!

That seat looks excellent, I'd be happy to take any excess ones you might cast inadvertently off your hands. also if you cast too many tubs.......... :)

You might want to fit a thin webbing between the head and the seat on each side to make a slit wide enough to pull it through or it might get stuck by its head (gut feeling). My first thought might be to use krystal clear for this in the way its suggested to make small windows from this stuff. The webbing can be removed in the clean-up of the casts.

cow-rescued-after-getting-head-stuck-in-

CT

• Like 3

That seat looks excellent, I'd be happy to take any excess ones you might cast inadvertently of your hands. also if you cast too many tubs

CT

Don't think you'd be the only one happy to give them a loving home CT......!!

Glad they rescued the cow!

............You might want to fit a thin webbing between the head and the seat on each side to make a slit wide enough to pull it through or it might get stuck by its head (gut feeling). My first thought might be to use krystal clear for this in the way its suggested to make small windows from this stuff. The webbing can be removed in the clean-up of the casts.

Ok CT. Sounds like wisdom to me. I'll try something of the sort.

Funny - I wos gonna bring a tub and a pair of coamings to Cosford to show you......

But then I figured that maybe that wos a bit like taking homework in to teacher for marking :)

• Like 1

Funny - I wos gonna bring a tub and a pair of coamings to Cosford to show you......

But then I figured that maybe that wos a bit like taking homework in to teacher for marking :)

Same thought did cross my mind too when I put that canopy cast in my pocket that morning.

Well I would say by your work so far that you have much to be sanguine about. Looking like a miniature already and you have more bits and bobs to add yet. Don't think you'll get any grief from the RTV when reproducing the fine details. Along with Mr C's advice, should be fine...

...Although given my hit and mix experiences with resin, and the fact that I'm not the one actually doing it, saying this gives me the same feeling that I would have advising a blindfolded tightrope walker about to transgress a chasm - "you'll be fine mate just keep treading on the rope"... :winkgrin:

No seriously your sanguinity will win out.

• Like 1