A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Like that a lot Doug did you finish it? Good cockpit and flap mods and the tailpipe looks great :)

Nope, it stalled ...... doing the flaps accurately in 1/72 nearly sent me blind & mad but as you know, there's no other way to get them right when you have a mild case of CDO, is there? I'm looking forward to see how you tackle yours (along with lots of other areas of the build). Ironically, I have some time off work with a shoulder injury at the moment so I was even considering getting my Hawk out....... but I didn't want to look like a rank amateur alongside your build!

After seeing the JP and chipmunk threads I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with these. Have you considered the old tool hawk by Airfix. It is missing a few things such as wing fences and has raised panel lines but comes with early style seats and the shape of the rear fuselage above the jet pipe at the base of the tail fin appears to be more accurate for an early hawk than the new tooling....

Regards,

Mark

What Mark says. The original Airfix 1970s tooling is a lovely little kit if you can still find one, despite a couple of shape issues (pointy nose). The u/c bays & doors appear to be the correct size & the panel lines don't look like the Somme circa 1916. One day I'll get round to finishing mine.

Now what's all this about a "new" Revell Hawk????

Good grief man,don't you know I'm in the midst of bashing an Airfix Spit.22 into a Seaf.47,

leering at BMW's(after another one soon)and getting ready for spring/summer pidgeon shooting

(been fondling my shotguns)? :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

And you start this???

Drat,I shall have to watch/comment/have input and generally enjoy the craik AGAIN!!!!

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure and positive that the new tool kit has much undersized wheel bays and doors.

I've checked em now against the Mark Rolfe Plans - and the main gear bays are a bit undersize at the rear - and extend too far outboard:

490D72E8-EEC6-4D32-ABE1-9706905650A3_zps

But I think these will be simple enough fixes - did the same on the JP5.

I've not checked the nose wheel bay yet.

The Italeri bays are better but still have some shape issues.

The Airfix offering definitely has that problem. The nose gear is also oversize unfortunately.

Yep it certainly is:

6A366256-26A1-49F8-AD8E-E64177E25DA9_zps

Not too worried about that tho' - I always thought I'd have to largely adapt it or scratch a new one.

Or perhaps I'll try and adapt the Italeri one - which is a better size but no less crude.

Are you aware of the flightpath hawk update set for the revell hawk.it has a new nose to correct the rather small kit offering.......Neil

Ta Neil - yes I did see that.

The comparisons between the Italeri kit and Airfix kit have been noted on other sites. A solution has been to graft the Airfix nose onto the Iatelri fuselage. Is it too late for you to do that?

Hadn't thought of that but - I can see that working and no it wouldn't be too late.

But the thing is - I just don't like the Italeri kit. Don't like the plastic or the surface detail and I think Airfix have caught the curve at the back around the tailpipe better (if a bit overdone) leastways the Airfix one is closer to the look of the Revell 1/32 one in this area.

Gonna stick with the Airfix. I like the plastic and it gives me plenty to do to have fun with.

. Have you considered the old tool hawk by Airfix. It is missing a few things such as wing fences and has raised panel lines but comes with early style seats and the shape of the rear fuselage above the jet pipe at the base of the tail fin appears to be more accurate for an early hawk than the new tooling....

I suspect (but don't know) that the tail shape will be the first iteration and not the Fred Sutton tail I want (the matchbox kit is the same) - Not that that would be a major problem and I wish I had one to compare with the recent ones - but I have to say I wouldn't relish another complete rescribe (x 2 don't forget!!) just yet so I'm not sure I'd use it :)

(EDIT: Yes it is the first tail - DougC corrected it on his build)

I'm hoping to get away on the new tooling with just a bit of rescribing and plenty of rattle can Mr Surfacer 500 to detrenchify the rest :)

Thanks for all the thoughts chap - good though provoking stuff :)

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Apparently,a good detrenchifiying wheeze is a blob of wettish Milliput gently rubbed over a wettish

airframe,th'excess can be wiped off with a wettish cloth(it's all about the wettish y'see).

Once dry and set,a bit of light sanding and ta-da,much less prominent trenches.

Not tried it meself Steve,but seen it done on the 'Fix's trenchy newish 1/72nd Mk.1 Spit

and it certainly looks miles better.

BTW,I know a man who has an original Airfix Red 'Arrer 'Awk in his stash that was/is

earmarked for a FRADU black'n'shiny number one day,but you never know,

he could be persuaded to part with it..............................

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

I have been looking through the stash again, (so many..not enough time) and found a partly started project from way back, white metal early headboxes, resin nose plug and white metal flaps, also a vacformed canopy, yours if your interested

Very nice project Steve, will keep looking with interest !

I've come to your same conclusions that the Airfix kit is the best starting point for an accurate Hawk model. The Italeri kit is best used to supply parts. In any case, the definitive 1/72 Hawk has yet to appear. Revell has announced a new tool for this year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

You'll find that the Airfix kit also suffers from some fit issues, but I'm sure these will not be a problem for you

• Like 1

I've been pointed here by a fellow modeler, and I must say I'm now hooked! Your attention to detail is outstanding, and as others said, this is going to be an epic thread :speak_cool:

Now, waiter, where's my beer? :popcorn::popcorn:

Ciao

Another thing I found about the Italeri kit was the rear fuselage /jet pipe end, It looks like a Hamster munching on seeds when viewed from end on! There is this 'fattish' shape when compared to the original Airfix kit. By the way I have got one in white plastic and original box still. Some time back I cross kitted the new tool Airfix Hawk 100 with wings from an original tooling which help over come the undercarriage issue. I think I posted it here somewhere.

EDIT: I can only find this pic but at home somewhere I have the full photo coverage of how I did the work:

IMG_0725.jpg

• Like 5

6A366256-26A1-49F8-AD8E-E64177E25DA9_zps

Newbie, but it looks to me as though the legs / wheels are the same size but the Airfix leg is extended and the Italeri compressed? Interesting problem here I guess. What happens when an 'average weight' pilot gets in?

Just had a look at the Red's website and looks like the legs are extended. An Internet images show both with occupied cockpits, I guess depending on whether the pilot was braking / under power?

• Like 1

Looks like the upper leg portion on the Airfix one is near enough but the lower link and wheel too big

Certainly needs a smaller wheel

The earliest Airfix Hawk's nose wheel diameter is 0.254" / 6.46mm which is the same as my 'last but one' Airfix moulding but has a far more realistic lower link. Less architectural more aviatory I think

What do you think?

16676929149_3d7ac6338c_o.jpg

Edited by perdu

Chaps, before I allow myself to follow this thread any further I must scurry off and appraise myself of the finer points of the Fred Sutton tail. I feel at rather a disadvantage amid all this expertise so without further ado, I'll see ya later...

• Like 2

I have been looking through the stash again, (so many..not enough time) and found a partly started project from way back, white metal early headboxes, resin nose plug and white metal flaps, also a vacformed canopy, yours if your interested

Thanks ever so for the offer, much appreciated. Sounds like the Flightpath set for the Italeri kit? If so I've got one somewhere actually - and decided I don't get on with white metal bits - I just can't seem to cope with em.

Looks like the upper leg portion on the Airfix one is near enough but the lower link and wheel too big

Certainly needs a smaller wheel

The earliest Airfix Hawk's nose wheel diameter is 0.254" / 6.46mm which is the same as my 'last but one' Airfix moulding but has a far more realistic lower link. Less architectural more aviatory I think

What do you think?

I think that you is right Bill. I have an old early Airfix Hawk working it's way thro' the evil bay system just out of interest seeing as so many folks have commented on it.

I'm away walking in there Lakes next week and so this week has been all about getting ahed of the game at work to the exclusion of hobby time :( The only thing I've done is spend a couple of short sessions fiddling with the CMK Hawk 100 resin tub to see if I can get it fit for purposes for a T1. I've been reprofiling the cockpit floors and side panels etc.. Not much to show I'm afraid. But a little progress (if I end up using it) is better than none?

IMG_3527_zpsbjwndpyk.jpg

IMG_3526_zps4o2xvbqx.jpg

Steve

• Like 5

Can't build 'em can't give 'em away! Enjoy your perambulations, I hope to be walking bits of the SW Coastal over the bunny period.

• Like 1

Can't build 'em can't give 'em away! Enjoy your perambulations, I hope to be walking bits of the SW Coastal over the bunny period.

You knew he'd want to be building all the things in the sets better himself anyway didn't you ;)

Do what I'm doing, follow him along with yours(mine) and see how close we can get to his targets

Even when I miss I will have raised the bar in my own builds by trying

Enjoy the walking Steve (and HAMPman), but rushing things along at work to cover for it?

I hope there aren't too many villains going to jail for want of a good brief...

Ah no, I hope they are :)

And in seriousness, I hope that floor unit works out, at the very least it does have the floors doing the right thing

Looks a very good place to start, even if you are having to Fritag it to get started

• Like 2

Just caught up with this having been away for a bit. Am looking forward to what will undoubtedly be an entertaining and educational build. :popcorn:

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Fritag,

I have been looking forward to this, so great to see it up and running.

I am not a fan of the panel lines on the new Airfix Hawk, so tend to opt for the Revell kit myself. Although now that you have exposed the shape issues with the Revell nose, I am not so sure.

Still, I am sure very little will remain of whichever Hawk you start out with!

All the best.

• Like 1

Course, I'm missing work and modelling and all - but the Lakes have their compensations:

image.jpg1_zpsifqooybf.jpg

Taken from Haystacks - looking towards Buttermere. Just after a C130 meandered up the valley Debs :) Captain sipping coffee and munching a sarnie no doubt..........

• Like 10

Ah you lucky so and so. That's my favourite spot in the Lakes. Have camped at the campsite between Buttermere and Crummock Water many a time - and refreshed myself in the hostelries after a walk - Garden of Eden no less. Lovely panorama. Ah yes I can taste that Bluebird ale and Cumberland sausage in onion gravy mmm ...

Nice work on the build thus far too. Albion Alloys tubing will come into their own when get cracking on that undercarriage.

So I'm pottering about on a boat you see, Coniston Water in the mid morning

The gaffer plus our less than happy on water Beagle Jack and myself on a jolly little motor boat hunting landmarks from John, Susan, Titty and Roger's Lakeland adventures just leaving the lee of Wildcat Island or whatever the name was in the books when we were hammered by a shock wave following the lowest Buccaneer I ever saw, blasting north in a superhurry

Exciting place the Lakes, back when we had an Air Force :)

And (the point of this piece) later in the day after lunch we were meandering the roads up north of Coniston when we'd stopped at a layby 'cos I'd decided to climp up the hill for the craik

And then along came Debs in Albert lower than a snake's belly down across Thirlmere

(Other Hercules pilots were available, I prefer to think it may have been a friend enjoying the summer sunshine)

I decided to go back down the hill, haven't been up one a'foot since :(

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4