A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

The canopy frames look great, and well worth the work.  I’d have been tempted to simply use bare metal foil to create the frames and be done with it.

all this talk of 3D printing had me taking a couple of tutorials on Fusion360 to see what the whole malarkey was about.  I fear, knowing me as I do, this is a slippery slope that will entail a purchase in the No too distant future.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

So let me have a go at that ...............

Did one of the above posts, show one of the above Hawks, with a red painted front canopy frame, and if that is so, are we to assume that this Hawk (with the red canopy frame), is to be one of the famous nine (maybe more if they had a spare or two)?

I only put this question to my learned colleague, since I was (perhaps mistakenly) of the assumption that one Hawk was to be an ex mount of yours in red/white/grey scheme (with white front frame) and the other to be another mount of yours as a camouflaged TWU scheme (with DSG frame).

Did I miss something somewhere in these 140 plus pages?

:blush::blush::blush:

Oops. 

The Valley Hawks didn’t have red windscreen frames did they………they’re black and white ain’t they :whistle:   Well, it’s been a while since I sat  in it  :blush:

Dunno why I did it red.  P’raps cos my reference photo’s are mostly the walkaround red arrows ones?

Might be micromeshing that red off after I’m  back from London…. At least the plastic is white underneath!

Devastating cross-examination there Terry :rofl2:

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Haha 7

I think the frames came out great but haven't you been dabbling with making your own PE?  Would seem to be an easier option, well, for you maybe.

Have a good holiday.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

So let me have a go at that ...............

Did one of the above posts, show one of the above Hawks, with a red painted front canopy frame, and if that is so, are we to assume that this Hawk (with the red canopy frame), is to be one of the famous nine (maybe more if they had a spare or two)?

I only put this question to my learned colleague, since I was (perhaps mistakenly) of the assumption that one Hawk was to be an ex mount of yours in red/white/grey scheme (with white front frame) and the other to be another mount of yours as a camouflaged TWU scheme (with DSG frame).

Did I miss something somewhere in these 140 plus pages?

Terry

Oh boy...

Excuse me whilst I go to the back of the room and just quietly snigg... er chuckle

"Competent and searching cross-examination is just about impossible to survive."

All this 'chatter' is playing havoc with my intention to learn a new skillset in 2020, know wot I mean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Small progress it may be, but those screens are looking good. Even more of a feat as it's 1/72.

Chiming in on the 3D printing debate, I’ve got an entirely different set of obstacles to most. CAD isn’t as much of an issue, I’m a CAD monkey for the day job (albeit 2D, but I’ve used 3D as well), and the mrs has at least as much of a desire for a 3D printer as I do. Our stumbling blocks are we can’t really justify the cost right now as we’re trying to save to get the garage converted to an office, so we get our front room back, and that until we do that there’s nowhere safe to place it in the house due to our 8 month old kittens who are currently being a pair of little <insert expletive of choice here> 🤣

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so.

We spent the few days over Christmas in London doing city-type stuff and having picked my moment carefully (after a nice brunch, walking in Hyde Park etc. etc.) I canvassed the views of my immediate superior on the merits of a 3D printer.  Blow me down if the suggestion wasn't immediately and enthusiastically endorsed.

In fact so rapidly endorsed that it made me worry there was a quid pro quo going on; and I wondered what had just been spent in Regent Street whilst I was having a coffee (having managed to get out of going around the shops) :D

Anyways.  I've no prior CAD experience and so I've been spending some time since we got back after Christmas trying to get to grips with Fusion 360; such that all I've done in the corporeal world of modelling is rectify the red windscreen framing on the 4FTS valley Hawk and see about test fitting the coaming etc.  Hardly worth a photo but you're getting one anyway....just to prove that there's life on the ol' thread yet.

51C6314A-58B1-44D9-9DC1-27BD16A5AAD4

As to getting to grips with Fusion 360.  I've followed what I assume is the well-trodden path of watching several tutorials on U tube and then having a bash on my own.

My embryonic efforts to date have got as far as designing a model of the windscreen frame; cos I thought it'd be more interesting to practise on summat I might potentially use.  Anyways a tip-toe through the dark and confusing world of canvases, sketches, splines, constraints, projections, extrudes, lofts, shells, fillets and scaling got me this:

00ABEFD5-E215-4A7D-B769-553787DAF73A

I should say that TWU Chivenor Hawks need underwing pylons (not included in the Airfix kit) and so inspired by the Hunter pylon that Alan @hendie did on his Hunter thread I'm working (albeit rather painstakingly) on a pylon for the Hawk - and despite not inconsiderable difficulty figuring out how to fully constrain and close-off a sketch that involves several individual fit point splines (what the hell is this new language I'm pretending to use?) I've got as far as this: 

F4CC00F4-6F89-4B8B-8CCC-7DC537E5262E

I've still got a few panels, cartridge holes and attachment points to add - if and when I figure out how to do that - but it's a start.

It's made me realise how far I've got to go to emulate the work of Alan and Tony @TheBaron and others - and with real no expectation of doing so - but it's been fun in it's own right (that was something of a relief tbh) and it's definitely opened my eyes to the potential.

Have to say though, that I'm waiting for the steep learning curve to kick in.  Mine seems awfully shallow at the moment and Fusion 360 seems at times to have been designed purely to explore the potential of the laws of unintended consequences!  :blush: :D

So my available modelling time at the moment is mostly taken up with matters virtual rather than plastic -although no-one with any knowledge of history would be expecting much work on the Hawks in the near future in any event.

Haven't bought a printer yet neither.  But am authorised to do so and so it's gonna happen :D

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 16

Stalking the mighty halls of Amazon with the said authorisation firmly gripped in one's mitt, must be a massive temptation.

And will undoubtedly be a fine thing.

I should (write out 500 times by hand, no Word tricks here milad) sit down with Fusion and the tutorials and clear the decks of any other 'things'.

I can't grasp the concept.

You draw pylons and screen frames, jusslikedat.

Skulking off very daunted now...

:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

what the hell is this new language I'm pretending to use?)

Just think of it as a different kind of Latin and the legal brain will process it in tempore.. 😁

Both frame and pylon make it look like you're a natural at this already Steve - talk about leaps and bounds, they look great! 👍

Have you homed in on which printer you're going to plump for yet?

• Like 3

Well done on the successful outcome on matters pertaining to a 3D printer, that's a result. As you say though, moments like that are precious and joyful instants, usually followed by the slight angst of the unknown part of the transaction you may have just had verbal agreement on........... been there!

Looks like you are getting to grips with Fusion. Being old school IT (my main working life trade) I find it not so intuitive for me, but it's all about learning new ways. Fortunately I have several offspring who help! I'm thinking there may even be whole 1/72 gliders out there I could build print from scratch. ............ one day soon maybe.

The windscreen looks good and I do like that pylon.

Perhaps you might even have a crack at some 3D CBLS next..............

Terry

• Like 1

Bugger.  Now I feel totally inadequate as my efforts with Fusion360 haven’t garnered anything like the results or confidence yours have.  I’ll continue to plod away but I clearly don’t have a brain wired in the same way as the 3D gurus, yourself apparently included!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

but it's a start.

And a damned fine one it is sir.  That is a mighty impressive piece of modeling there.

Glad to read that you are enjoying the challenges too Steve - that's all part of the fun. Who needs the Times crossword when you have a few splines to play with?

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Bugger.  Now I feel totally inadequate as my efforts with Fusion360 haven’t garnered anything like the results or confidence yours have.  I’ll continue to plod away but I clearly don’t have a brain wired in the same way as the 3D gurus, yourself apparently included!

Me too Mark, it's a riddle far too well conundrummed

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, perdu said:

I should (write out 500 times by hand, no Word tricks here milad) sit down with Fusion and the tutorials and clear the decks of any other 'things'.

I can't grasp the concept.

11 hours ago, mark.au said:

I’ll continue to plod away but I clearly don’t have a brain wired in the same way as the 3D gurus

I'm well aware that I'm just an early beginner - but it's really helped me so far to concentrate on sketching and the need to constrain and close-off the sketch it and also how you choose and if need be create planes to sketch on.  I've also found that when I hit a problem just googling a question (making sure to include 'Fusion 360' in the question) usually ends up with a short video that covers it.  I've also realised that I'm going to have to be patient and devote a lot of time to it.

I think Alan said that it's like scratch building in that you have to break things down in your mind into logical small steps and shapes.  Like everything with a computer it is intensely logical - even if that logic is frustratingly difficult to grasp at times.

Anyways - those are my impressions from the very pre-foothills of the Fusion 360 :D Alan, Tony, Mark, Ian, Crisp and prominent others are in varying respects well ahead of me.

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Just think of it as a different kind of Latin and the legal brain will process it in tempore.. 😁

Maybe so Tony, but the day of understanding seems to be adjourned sine die ...

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Have you homed in on which printer you're going to plump for yet?

Was definitely going for the Mars 2 that Mark posted a link to - but am increasingly drawn to the idea of a Mars 3 for the 4K screen and higher xy resolution.  Still finally to decide whether the extra ££ is worthwhile.

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Perhaps you might even have a crack at some 3D CBLS next..............

Mind-reader.  That's exactly the next practise piece.  I've no plans of it but probably got enough photographs to work from/use as canvases.  It's essentially cylindrical as far as I can see.

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Glad to read that you are enjoying the challenges too Steve - that's all part of the fun. Who needs the Times crossword when you have a few splines to play with?

My guess is it that it'd be extra hard to grapple with if you don't find it enjoyable in it's own right Alan.  I'm concentrating on turning frustrations into challenges.  I need a mantra I think.  My present one of "why the f*** do I have to constrain everything" is no longer fit for purpose.....

57 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Could you do translations for us old Luddites please.

Depends on whether Google translate has 'Fusion 360' as a language option John....

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Mind-reader.  That's exactly the next practise piece.  I've no plans of it but probably got enough photographs to work from/use as canvases.  It's essentially cylindrical as far as I can see.

Well, you know what they say about great minds and all that!

I seem to recall I might (in the very flimsiest definition of the word) have some plans on paper from an old aviation news set or similar. Something in the grey matter sending signals to the minds eye, can see them...... I'll have a rummage through my files later, but you may well have solved it already.

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'll have a rummage through my files later, but you may well have solved it already.

Not solved it.  Not by a long chalk.  But the basic shape is very simple and so I've been able to rough something out using nowt but basic circle sketches, extrudes, revolve, offset planes and cuts quite quickly.  I'd like to refine the shape, dimensions and details from plans if possible though.

9C461458-9F27-4B3C-83CD-49CF7FD24D51

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Ha.  Them's the shapes from U-tube tutorials.  I'll have to delete them.

Aha, also need to delete all sorts of rubbish things here too, not that Steve's are rubbish but I promise mine are.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Fritag said:

But the basic shape is very simple and so I've been able to rough something out using nowt but basic circle sketches, extrudes, revolve, offset planes and cuts quite quickly.

That looks a great start. Is there some sort of "hacksaw" tool where you could chop off the back end.....?

Found no plans yet, but lots more to rummage through. The rummaging has given me a new, new years task to do which is sort out my references into more manageable and easy to find stuff!

I did find this picture online however, which according to the main article I found it in, is a CBLS 200 from an ex-ROKAF Hawk....

63f72d7655c59c430d612958284bb9b9.jpg

Might help a bit

Main article here, regarding the (non fatal) crash of an ex-ROKAF Hawk that you may find it interesting!

http://aerossurance.com/safety-management/yuma-hawk-ex-military-lessons/

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

Aha, also need to delete all sorts of rubbish things here too, not that Steve's are rubbish but I promise mine are.

You are way ahead of me Bill, and I've spent most of my working life as an IT "professional" 😂

Terry

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Found no plans yet, but lots more to rummage through. The rummaging has given me a new, new years task to do which is sort out my references into more manageable and easy to find stuff!

I did find this picture online however, which according to the main article I found it in, is a CBLS 200 from a ROKAF Hawk....

Thanks Terry, although the RAF Hawks (at least in the 80’s) carried the long tailed CBLS 100 - which is a different beastie and quite a different shape to the CBLS 200.

See wot I mean?

561066EF-4584-4DF0-9675-3A28F23F2053

(Not sure who to credit for this piccie)

47 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Main article here, regarding the (non fatal) crash of an ex-ROKAF Hawk that you may find it interesting!

http://aerossurance.com/safety-management/yuma-hawk-ex-military-lessons/

I did ta.

Moral.  If you try and take-off below flying speed bad things are likely to happen.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

and not a red windscreen frame in sight....

Seriously though, you're ahead of me in cad design. I can only manage basic shapes, extrudes, cuts, etc. I still have no clue when it comes to splines and skinning the basic shape. That's my next challenge!

Ian

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

See wot I mean?

Yep, I see it, my bad as Robert DeNiro might have said........

Quite coincidentally, last week I was googling on some large scale gliders (as you might expect) and I discovered a 1/32 3D printed model of the good old T31 I flew as a 16 year old. What does this have to do with CBLS's on your Hawk I hear you think. Well, I just remembered seeing that the chap who produces these, also does some other "stuff" in the form of 1/32 underwing bits for modern fast jets. So I just checked it out, and there it was, his rendition, in 1/32 of the CBLS 100....... and I really can see the difference better now!

http://flyingstartmodels.com/Flying-Start-Models-Practice-Bomb-Carriers.html

No idea how accurate they are, but they look convincing, and graphical view on the site may be of some use.

Terry

• Like 1