A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Give us a chance Bill.

I've got to read 138 - and now thanks to you 139 - pages to work out what I was trying to do, what I've done and what I've got left to do :D

I'd probably best post a summary for them as have learned to read, left school and got jobs since I began :blush:

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Is it Monday already?

It'll be Tuesday before you know it. At least we are on page 139 now. I think we should have a party when we get to 150. 🤪

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ok so.  Circumstances appear not unpropitious for a re-awakening (soon) of this poor neglected geriatric thread.  And so:

SEEING as generations have come and gone since it was first begun.

AND seeing as I can’t myself remember what I’ve done so far and have yet to do.

AND so that you don't have to scroll through 139 pages of intermittent modelling and recurrent drift.

HERE as promised is a summary to date.

WARNING

For the avoidance of doubt no new plastic has been cut or otherwise harmed in the making of this summary....:blush:

Them as remember the old thread or with low boredom thresholds should look away now.....:D

SUMMARY

So, take two x 1/72 Airfix Hawks (series A55202A).

One to be completed as a c.1983 TMk1 Hawk in the classic red/white/grey trainer scheme - specifically XX176 as piloted by moi on 18 July 1983:

1762_zpsad94d8d4-1.jpg

The other to be completed as a c.1983 TMk1A Hawk in wraparound camo as flown by the TWU's - specifically XX263 as piloted by moi c.April 1984:

263T1A_zps38118d0c-1.jpeg

DONE SO FAR

Cockpit

1.          Home made cast resin cockpit tubs.  Stripped back and modified a CMK Hawk 100 resin cockpit tub to use as the master. Then detailed with plastic strip, lead wire etc.

2.          Eduard pre-painted PE Instrument and side Panels (background colour repainted).  Amazingly the Eduard panels for the T1A even have the weapons controls which the panels for the T1 do not - as per the 1:1s.

IMG_1440_zps3rsbn15m.jpg

3.          PE rudder pedals.

All seen here:

IMG_0412_zpsqcfizkjb.jpeg

4.          Home vac formed front and rear coamings detailed with home-etched brass and home-cast resin details.

5.          Gun sight on the T1A coamings scratched from a mixture of etch and plastic strip.

IMG_0349_zpsb1m8gszj.jpeg

Gratuitous cockpit piccie:

IMG_0425_zpsyswlmj6h.jpeg

Ejection Seats

Home cast resin Mk10 ejection seats with the early wide-cheeked head boxes (think Wallace from Wallace and Gromit).

As a master I used the seat pan from the CMK Mk 10 seats, removed the straps, added various scratch details and topped it off with the (somewhat reshaped) head box from old Matchbox hawk seats.  Cast 4 seats.

Straps a mixture of pre-painted PE and lead foil rear seat apron from lead foil.

066a2719ccf3e1a49db09e2c155237de_zpsbtmg

Fuselage

1.          Filled in many of the Airfix trenches.  Rescribed panels various (such as the ram air turbine doors).  Carved off several inappropriate details.

2.          Rebuilt the ram air exhaust vents on the top of the fuselage.

3.          Starter exhaust collar from plastic card

4.          Quick boost resin Ram Air Intakes.

4.          Home-etched grills let into the top of the fuselage.

All seen here:

4E9297D7-2F38-47AA-863A-BF7F64E1204A_zps

And home etch grills on the fret:

3D13D837-E1A6-4B9D-9F65-7ACD44D78A4F_zps

5.          NACA ducts x 5 per fuselage (IIRC) plunge moulded into the fuselage using heated shaped brass masters.

Seen here after plunge moulding but before clean up (2 NACA ducts in the centre of the photo)

IMG_5231_zpsmgk1nkgw.jpg

And after clean up:

IMG_5241_zpsp12fwddp.jpg

6.          Rear fuselage exhaust thingummy from bent nickel tube.

IMG_0030_zpsjun9d3ib.jpeg

9.          Remodelled wing root fairings

IMG_3964_zpsgwb8spxk.jpg

10.       Home resin cast variosu lumps and bumps including the aileron linkage housings:

IMG_0376_zpsmgfahedh.jpeg

11.       Home made ‘seamless trunking from plastic card inspired by @Gene K’s method as used by @giemme on his various Phantoms over the years:

CB964966-F65F-4D1D-B381-1C5D2A2180A6_zps

Plus home vac formed intake interiors.

C0A64364-06BF-44BC-8195-EB3232ECFBB8_zps

12.       Scratch built Adour compressor face.

image_zpssgrxufy1.jpeg

Which may just be visible:

image_zps82blc6mn.jpeg

13.       Tail pipe from thinned plastic tube with PE turbine face.  To be fitted after main exterior painting:

4BA99832-7CF8-4465-97D9-3E81637FD75A_zps

14.       Airbrake bay lined with plastic card.  Airbrake reshaped and refined with added home-cast resin teardrop fairing.  Airbrake posed very slightly opened – as often seen on parked Hawks.

15.       Ventral strakes from etch improved with soldered-on brass rod and added flanges from  plastic card and some archer resin rivets.

Airbrake and strakes work here:

49280642397_1cbedfd553_b.jpg

16.       HGW 3d cast resin ‘domed’ rivets on the rear of the fuselage and the tailplane.  May or may not be visible after final painting....

IMG_0046_zpset22uwpu.jpg

17.       Brass tube let into nose to form the pitot tube fairing - ready to receive the excellent Master brass pitot tube (dry fitted here):

b2bee9dda715a6ea901dc5ef73992547_zpsretg

Wings

1.          Home etched vortex generators (VGs).  Here fitted:

E37A96EF-F297-4883-99A8-56ADD2FAE85C_zps

2.          Leading edge stall strips from 0.5mm square section plastic rod.

3.          Brass wing fences from the Airwaves set with added ‘flanges’ from 0.2mm plastic card.

Both shown here along with the VGs:

EB441E87-1F2F-4FE6-8A6A-9C96D46168C2_zps

4.          Flaps posed down as that's how parked Hawks are usually seen.  Cut out flaps, reworked kit parts to act as masters for home produced resin flap, scratched some flaplets from plastic strip.

IMG_0961_zpsa4moimgt.jpg

IMG_0963_zpskzsm3ih6.jpg

Undercarriage

The kit items were poor. and a fair bit of work was needed on these :whistle:

1.          Nose leg and wheel.  Legs scratched from plastic, brass and nickel tube, bits salvaged from the kit part and home-cast resin.  Home-cast resin wheel.

2.          Main legs.  Home cast resin legs and hubs with nickel tubing for oleos and plastic card details.  Modified kit wheels.

Nose legs:

IMG_1308_zps97fdjw40.jpg

Main legs

IMG_1316_zpsvra7kqb6.jpg

3.          Nose leg bay.  Built up from plastic card with various added details from plastic card etc.

1194F8F9-F7B4-4009-A8D3-31657C7FF907_zps

4.          Main leg bays.  Shortened and reshaped bay; removed bay roof and built up the side walls from plastic card with various added details from plastic card, stretched  sprue and lead wire etc.

IMG_5241_zpsp12fwddp.jpg

Armament

1.          Aden gun pod.  Modified what I think was an old Airfix offering by re-scribing, adding grills and vents, and adding a gun barrel cover/fairing from reshaped plastic tube.

3A8432F6-F44F-4445-B7E1-1110A8436E61_zps

96DFF185-D6DB-4324-AC60-ECFC7517565D_zps

2.          Long tailed CBLS. Home cast resin using old Flightpath white metal CBL as master.  Haven't decided whether or not to make some 3kg practice bombs.

561DC8AC-6CA9-4EAC-B14D-69931C9EEA5B_zps

Canopy

Home vac formed windscreen and canopies; using home-cast resin bucks as masters.

0642683A-74AB-4223-AC56-AE7083A31648_zps

IMG_0417_zpseljmswsu.jpeg

9D67E1F7-B1C4-42B9-A14A-65F154E478C4_zps

Gratuitous overall shot of the T1A

IMG_0427_zpswxfs9wx0.jpeg

STILL TO DO

1.          MDC  for the canopy and details the canopies.

2.         Undercarriage doors.

3.         Wing pylons for the TWU Hawk. 

3.         External bits and bobs such as strobe and navigation lights and various aerials.

4.        Various further cockpit details (e.g. rear cockpit bulkhead storage bag, cockpit rails etc.

5.        Painting and decaling etc.

Not a huge list perhaps but the best way of doing the canopy MDC has been troublesome and there's been some recent discussion about this as thread drift over on page 13 of my USAAF Spitfire thread.

I have several sets of home etched MDC - which I'm now not so sure is the solution.

8DB1A924-D410-4330-80D0-A5832EF89D58_zps

In the best traditions of BM Tony @TheBaron kindly ran some test cuts  with his silhouette cutter way back on page 116 of the thread:

Which suggested that masking and spraying is potentially feasible.

And Alan @hendie has just run some printer test prints which I have to say look terribly promising.  The history behind that can also been seen on page 13 of the Spittie thread and  it's of no surprise that Bill @perdu plays a prominent role :D

Anyroad up; all this discussion of the MDC served to reawaken in me some long resting enthusiasm for these old hawks and the nostalgia fest of going back through the thread has just heightened it a little.

So hopefully there'll be some actual modelling done on them in the near future.  Not promising owt of course.  But hopefully.

And look on the bright side.  I've saved you 139 pages of reading :D

Or perhaps just added yet another unnecessary post :hmmm:Hmm - hadn't thought about that :blush:

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Oh wow, these are absolutely brilliant! 

I remember watching the green/grey Hawks at Chivenor in about ‘81 when I was a kid. Got to say though the red/white scheme is most synonymous with the type to me, I’ll be attempting a 1/48 one in that very scheme at some point.

These are beautifully made so far, hyper realistic cockpits.

• Thanks 1

I've been looking forward to the resurrection of this thread. Your summary certainly shows the quality of your painstaking work so far and leaves us, your hungry audience wanting more. 

As for your choice of colours, both these period schemes were the best worn by RAF Hawks IMHO and bring back happy memories of the old BBC Fighter Pilot series. 

Resistance is useless, you must carry on 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

:yahoo: He's back at this! (Well.... almost  :D )

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

NACA ducts x 5 per fuselage (IIRC) plunge moulded into the fuselage using heated shaped brass masters.

I thought you ended up flooding the area with TeT and pressing the brass master in - do I remember it the wrong way round?

Or was it an entirely different thread? :confused:

:rofl:

Ciao 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, giemme said:

I thought you ended up flooding the area with TeT and pressing the brass master in - do I remember it the wrong way round?

Nearly correct G. :D

I used the heated brass technique for the ducts on the underneath and rear upper fuselage but a different technique for the small duct on the nose.  Where, if I remember correctly, I made a small indentation, filled it with sprue-goo and pressed the brass master into the goo.  I think I was worried about the damage I could do to the nose with a heated brass master!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I have several sets of home etched MDC - which I'm now not so sure is the solution.

As excellent as the etch solution is, and you know how I now know, I'm still inclined to agree that a better solution could be out there somewhere. There is even a small amount of R&D occurring in deepest Dorset for the greater good as I write these words 😄.

You can blame that JP, and I'm not referring to any local magistrate!

Great to have this thread up and running again and and an excellent summary of the case thus far.

Terry

• Like 6

When should we order the beer and peanuts?

I'm on the edge of my seat, so get that Spit finished pdq! (My CG is considerably further forward than it used to be and I don't want to fall on my face!)

Ian

• Haha 7

I'm glad this project has been revived - it's always a pleasure to see a master at work :) 

I have fond memories of standing at the crash gate at Chivenor back in the day watching Hawks come and go... good times!

Tom

• Like 2

Not just yet Ian. The beer will have long since gone off before more plastic worrying takes place, let alone completion. We would have to drink it to prevent it being wasted. Hang on a minute!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Wow. What an enthralling and wonderfully detailed summary.  Got a new paralegal then have we Steve?

I can hardly wait for this to resume though I have to admit to being filled with a certain degree of trepidation as Steve is going to be putting my bits on full display for all and sundry to gape at.  Let's just hope they're good enough to pass muster. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Got a new paralegal then have we Steve?

Interesting spot Alan.  Seen many formal preambles to court orders have you :D

9 hours ago, hendie said:

certain degree of trepidation as Steve is going to be putting my bits on full display for all and sundry to gape at.

The mind boggles :blush:  but it’s fair to say that I await your bits with eager anticipation and equally fair to say that they’ve already been an inspiration :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, hendie said:

I can hardly wait for this to resume though I have to admit to being filled with a certain degree of trepidation as Steve is going to be putting my bits on full display for all and sundry to gape at.  Let's just hope they're good enough to pass muster. 

Way too much information!!  :think:

Gondor

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Way too much information!!  :think:

Gondor

No no no, am certain we all need to see Alan's proverbial bits in their full pomp.

Awaiting that pleasure avidly Alan, yes Steve its over to you now m'learned friend...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

No no no, am certain we all need to see Alan's proverbial bits in their full pomp.

Fnar, snurf, 🤮

Traumatised of Mars 👽

• Haha 5