A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Herewith the aforementioned desultory development hitherto not posted herein....:D

Yesterday, or perhaps it was last Christmas - it was in any event the previous page - the fuselage strakes had acquired some lateral flanges.

The nextstep required these here resin rivets.

y4mikB7J4fbSsSpHofiNDu6CEbO1PVXbif2Z87t8

And they found themselves here:

y4mMY9osjhYk9kLXRYuq6ZHTdFaVc2rTrCIOPcS2

I wasn’t that impressed with the Archer domed rivets actually; a bit too much uneven blobbery and not enough identical domed rivetry.   But good enough for the medial surfaces of the strakes.

I couldn’t think of a good reason not to stick the tailerons on after that.  So I did.

y4m7bmyvEM36rMaapeDmUsVPASFQAv4FyvkRGTNZ

And then it occurred to me that the just-drooped airbrakes could go on.

I glued slivers of tube on the inside of the airbrake to fix the angle and provide a decent surface for the adhesive:

y4mb5pWiI2a3WCgz9pSJk716bPP8ckZ_QbRwv97I

And so we have tastefully drooping airbakes.  If a droop can ever properly be described thus of course.

y4mGWnzdfMQ0CImUdZ-CrYh0i_8i1unM7sr6j6kG

The tailerons then needed a few of these of various design:

y4mjfi4M8eRqRjf9WBN80wWfAcYgQMvKKhr16sX5

To approximate the flat plates that do something or other at the pivot point of the tailerons:

Upper:

y4md5gNWpn-08lwFh9sgvukmP8TlwqCICwn9fZ_Q

Lower:

y4meOVce4QdT9NOT__yJFzH8hHyx70LY0KUi0FTf

After that; more resin rivets were required.

So back onto the stage crept this bunch (PS, for hints and tips on applying such rivets apply to Crisp - who has as much experience of the same as the rest of the modelling community combined :whistle:)

y4mC2iQAtVgt9Bg77eeYRBMn3whEEFVTFz3osCno

Thankfully I only needed a few double rows on this occasion. To add a bit of character to the tailerons.

y4mk_HLh_3vdJK2oHnJ_9VHIU-tJXmki-eXa466A

And there they rest for the present. Although if you half close your eyes and squint, there are least outlines of aeroplanes now:

y4m2fVv3arwspmxUdf31WxKMpvYGsnChp3DtoqLN

There,  I said there weren’t much :blush:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 17

24 minutes ago, Fritag said:

y4m2fVv3arwspmxUdf31WxKMpvYGsnChp3DtoqLN

Ooooooh, they look jolly good, Steve! :clap: :clap: :clap: 

My nerves are wrecked just by thinking of the resin rivets posing, but I reckon they'll add a lot in terms of realism :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

27 minutes ago, Fritag said:

There,  I said there weren’t much :blush:

The important thing is to get you (re)started, then we'll help keep you going... :winkgrin:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

small but beautifully formed.  Nice update Steve.  

I'm with you on the Archers decals. I've only used them a couple of times but not been over impressed with either the form or the ability to adhere to the substrate

FYI - Social distancing doesn't apply to forums you know - you can update as often as you like. Though it would be preferable if you'd update as often as we'd like!

• Haha 9

Nice to see an update on these Steve. I recently bought the new-ish Revell kit, which is very nice in some areas (the front end and overall surface detail), and pretty awful in others when compared to your embellished Airfixes (trailing edge thicknesses, airbrake area and fuselage shape forward and aft of the tailerons). A missed opportunity to produce a really good Hawk kit. Still I'm going to continue enjoying progress on these.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bedders said:

I recently bought the new-ish Revell kit, which is very nice in some areas (the front end and overall surface detail, and pretty awful in others when compared to your embellished Airfixes (trailing edge thicknesses, airbrake area and fuselage shape forward and aft of the tailerons). A missed opportunity to produce a really good Hawk kit. Still I'm going to continue enjoying progress on these.

With apologies to OP for thread hijack, I'm coming to the same conclusion.  Revell got the tiny things right (eg very subtle rivets/screw holes on rear cockpit bulkhead and ejector seats) but the big things wrong (eg horribly thick trailing edges (not seen since the Airfix Fw 190A?), clunky undercarriage doors).  And a disappointing amount of flash on a still newish kit.  The fact that I'm seriously considering replacing some parts with equivalents from the FIRST Airfix Hawk says something.

• Like 1

On reflection I s'pose there isn't really much to speak of aft of the tailerons, so let's say above them, and the mix-up between the early and late tails.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 1

Glacial progress young Steve, but quality progress it is. Wonder if we’ll see a Jag to go with them one day? I hope you’re taking care of your health, we need you to live until about 90 at least to get the Jag over the line 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Hope you are ok in lock down Fritag.  Your build is an inspiration not just to Hawk builders but all in the modeling fraternity. No matter how small your progress we are all waiting for you to carry on and miss your input.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tis true

Tis also a b+++*** long wait, is there skiing some place?

Are we cycling over the steppe? 

Is there a seabird count in Orkney?

Or is one simply at a sedate tea rooms in Harrogate, sipping Earl Grey with one's lovely wife?

Oh welladay, one day we must learn the answers...

• Haha 10

On 9/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, TheBaron said:

Plus there is a bike aboard...

edlu_wo1.jpg

Bike over the Earth is a very dangerous:

!!!

😁

Besides:

"In space no one can hear you bike!"

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Hurry up and finish these Hawks man,am waiting in anticipation for the Jaguars.

Jaguar(s) .............. he's planning on building more than one then? YESSS!

No pressure then Steve.

Terry

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I  say, look what I found.

It was nestling behind the sofa in a tea room in Harrogate, wondering if it had been forgotten in the dash from the café to the car...

I told it not to worry, daddy had been very busy but was beginning to wonder where he'd left it.

ecce! evidential linking

IMG_1316_zpsvra7kqb6.jpg

"You see I said, daddy hasn't actually forgotten you but left you there where you'd be out of the draught."

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I reckon it was deliberately planted Bill. A sort of set up to frame the whole build.

Terry

Do people really sink so low Terry?

What a sick world huh?

No, no I don't believe it.

I had to go full-on Sherlock Holmes to find it, if it hadn't inadvertently had a genteel old dear's shopping bag on it which made it wriggle I don't think I would have found it even though I did follow a vague clue I disclosed in another conversation a while back.

😲

• Haha 5