A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, tomprobert said:

I’ve just spent a very enjoyable few minutes catching up with these two - it’s great to see them making such good progress. 

Lovely detailing work too - it’s these little touches that make all the difference. 

Finished in time for Christmas? 😉

Thanks Tom,  much appreciated.....but you set me up there!  :D

On 12/22/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

2021?

On 12/22/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

As early as that?

On 12/22/2019 at 5:55 PM, Terry1954 said:

Hmmm yes, maybe one of the pair perhaps?

See what I mean? :D

So, pausing (and there may have been a few of them in this build :whistle:) work on the cockpit for a mo’ - time to add the fuselage strakes I made a little while ago (first ham fisted attempts at soldering you may recall.......)

Calls for a Jig methinks - to set the angles :) The soldered mounting pins slotted neatly into drilled ‘oles and secured with thin cyano.

Ideal job for thin cyano actually; with capillary action taking it into the holes and along the join between the strake and the fuselage.

49267316178_32bcee4ae0_b.jpg

Neat enough:

49267965457_0338fab2c8_b.jpg

Which brings us back to flanges (I presume that all innuendo has been exhausted?)....

The strakes (like the wing fences) are secured to the aircraft with riveted flanges.  Protruding headed rivets into the fuselage and recessed rivets into the strake.  Thought I’d have a bash - just for the fun of it like :)

Rivet counters may look away now - I’m aiming for an impression of the real thing rather than exact reproduction (the fuselage side of the flange actually has a double row of rivets - but that just wasn’t practicable, so a single row it is........sorry.......:(....now forget I said that :D)

Wasn’t sure whether to make them from plastic or brass.  So tried both.

Rivet wheel on 0.1mm Tamiya plastic paper - and also on scrap brass, the thickness of which I can’t remember - but I think the technical term is ‘thin’....

Before:

49258379277_e4eddec8f9_b.jpg

After:

49258186501_a096c72c01_b.jpg

Cut to as thin a strip as possible (many efforts ending up in the bin.....):

49257701043_bb47a9cbb4_b.jpg

Brass looked nice; but was more difficult to handle, cut, straighten, glue.  So used the plastic ones:

Fuselage flange - putting my faith in Gator’s Grip for this job (🤞)....Looks like a touch more is needed under the rear end....(unforgiving these macro piccies in’t they?)

49267303163_c43a25a98f_b.jpg

Airbrake dry fitted (you often see the airbrake on parked hawks having drooped a few inches and that’s the look I’ll aim for):

49267308138_3013cae331_b.jpg

Should look fine.  I think the internals of the airbrakes in them days were Light Aircraft Grey - but I need to double check that.

49267310143_4be2687482_b.jpg

Strake flange; just laid in position at the mo’, the next job is to glue it in place.  The plastic strip is reversed this time, so that the rivets are recessed.  Another reason for using the plastic rather than brass strips is that I can glue them in place and then easily trim them to the size/shape of the strake afterwards; much harder to do that with brass.  Also I little bit of Tamiya green cap along the join should hopefully weld the two bits of the flange together nicely:

49267335048_60aa70442a_b.jpg

More later....maybe.....if there’s any Christmas Eve modelling done (won’t be any tomorrow.....orders is orders...)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 23

Nice fnarr fnarr.....

No soddit I shall not indulge the fnarrists, excellent folded back to allow fitment replica metal works Steve.

Are the airbrakes getting the associated rams fitted or can we be allowed to exercise our imaginations under there?

Any road up, Happy Christmas both of you

• Like 2

Just now, perdu said:

Are the airbrakes getting the associated rams fitted or can we be allowed to exercise our imaginations under there?

No rams Bill, that’s one of the reasons for recreating the modest droop (that’s a Christmas fnarr gift Ced :D) - the rams aren’t visible.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Lovely neat work Steve - as usual.

57 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Very neatly done Steve. 

Just more evidence that you are indeed the worlds first human 3D printer😁

But seriously how did you cut the brass strip so thinly?

I'm beginning to think our learned friend from the fine county of Cheshire is right - you are actually a 3D printer or perhaps a Stepford modeller. We won't let on to Mrs F that you've been switched 😉

Seriously though, how did you cut the strips so neatly?

• Haha 1

Marvellous, just marvellous :)

Right then…

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Which brings us back to flanges (I presume that all innuendo has been exhausted?)....

Apparently not…

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Looks like a touch more is needed under the rear end...

Fnaar fnaar! :wicked:

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

…one of the reasons for recreating the modest droop (that’s a Christmas fnarr gift Ced :D)

Awww, thanks matey, very kind (snurf snurf).

A Merry Christmas to you and yours and here's to a happy and prosperous 2020!

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I'm all spent on the innuendo front but eagerly awaiting what you have in mind for the exhausts then ......... you did mean that?

Seriously though, I'm very impressed with the way you did that. I've done some similar experiments using old VHS video tape (Kenneth More in Genevieve would you believe). It can be gently embossed with a pinwheel, is easily cut and is ultra thin, but a bit hard to "control" when positioning, if you get my drift. Ultra thin liquid poly sticks it to plastic. I think your approach works better though as the VHS tape looks too thin for this application. A friend suggested also it might make decent rib tapes for canvas covered wings .... embossing the stitching etc. Must try that in earnest one day.

We do rib you a bit (no pun there intended) on the time this build is taking and @Courageous will call me a fine one to speak on that score, but IMHO this Hawk build is an absolutely superb example of the finest we see in this scale. so long may it continue ............

Mrs T is giving me that look of "when are you going to start all that Xmas prep you keep promising" so signing off shortly.

Happy Christmas to you and all who read this thread!

Terry

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 12/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, Cheshiretaurus said:

But seriously how did you cut the brass strip so thinly?

On 12/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, Tomoshenko said:

Seriously though, how did you cut the strips so neatly?

I didn’t.  At least not very often.  I threw away the ones that were not thin enough or neat enough and kept the few that were okay :)

Very low-tech technique.  I first put a line of rivets in the sheet plastic/brass by running the rivet wheel along the edge of steel rule.  Then, with the domed/proud side of the rivets uppermost, I pushed one edge of the steel rule into contact with the line of rivets on one side and withdrew it an almost imperceptible amount before running a sharp blade along the edge and so cutting one side of the strip.  Then did the same for the other side.  I used the ones that came out thin enough and symmetrical enough and t’others went in the bin....

Done the strake flanges now.  Recessed side of the strips outwards.

49268930938_3e4e1fc48b_b.jpg

49269591492_59057f1338_b.jpg

So far the Gator’s Grip is holding fast 👍

A light coat of primer should bring it all together.

Merry Christmas all :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

will call me a fine one to speak on that score

...you're, stop the gibber-jabbering and get on with stuff. Er, no, I'll let you off, t'is Christmas after all. Have a good one, let's hope Santa doesn't add to your stash.

Oh yeah, exemplary work Mr F, way beyond my skills but then, I want to build more than one model every ten years :tomato:.

Stuart

• Haha 5

Smashing flangery.  I think this is about as late as I can get away with (don’t tell the Mrs that I’ve just stuck a layer of primer on some PE 1/350 flag lockers); time to rejoin the non-modellers for a while.

Happy Christmas one and all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

And a couple more - just cos I’m quite relieved that it worked out ok :)

49269765681_f0d8b0a729_b.jpg

49269963747_5e2490fc91_b.jpg

Now the Hawks go to bed for a day or two 😊

We’re orf out now for a very festive Italian meal 😅

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 16

Dear To Whom It May Concern,

I wish to point out a recent drop in standards of the BMBMery (Barristers of Modeling, BritModeller) contingent.  As evidence I present to you the following (those of a weak disposition may look away now, or close thine eyes, scroll and count to 10 before opening your keekers if you are easily upset):

Image1.jpg

Irrefutable it is.  Not only is it irrefutable, but this is a repeat offense with a speck o'stoor just recently logged on his report card.  Does he get a warning for this?

This is clearly letting the side down when we all strive to maintain standards and a certain degree of orderliness in our work.  Have you ever seen the like?  Simply shoddy housekeeping I say.

Simply shoddy. 

Can't wait to see paint on that back end Steve. (Without the chewing gum or whatever the detritus is obviously.  😉  )

• Haha 11
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Dear To Whom It May Concern,

I wish to point out a recent drop in standards of the BMBMery (Barristers of Modeling, BritModeller) contingent.  As evidence I present to you the following (those of a weak disposition may look away now, or close thine eyes, scroll and count to 10 before opening your keekers if you are easily upset):

Image1.jpg

Irrefutable it is.  Not only is it irrefutable, but this is a repeat offense with a speck o'stoor just recently logged on his report card.  Does he get a warning for this?

This is clearly letting the side down when we all strive to maintain standards and a certain degree of orderliness in our work.  Have you ever seen the like?  Simply shoddy housekeeping I say.

Simply shoddy. 

Ah bit of a flange up there. 

Id like to say its a momentary lapse due to early Christmas spirit, but as you say its a repeat offence 🤔🤔🤔

We expect a return to god status in 2020👍

Merry Christmas all

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:12 AM, Fritag said:

If you say so hendie :)   ’Modern' methods therefore eschewed in favour of measuring and cutting good ol fashioned plastic strip.

0.75mm square strip cut to the correct width for the main beam:

49242159117_e040c38772_b.jpg

Add some 0.25mm x 1mm strip so that the fillets and overhang can be represented.

49241470413_877a8bbc9c_b.jpg

Trimmed, drilled and dry fitted:

49242174402_8d26e93340_b.jpg

Painted and dry brushed:

49242259276_b056808020_b.jpg

Fits in ok.

49241790633_fb04fac0f3_b.jpg

Rear coaming also fits ok:

49241790658_bd931be18a_b.jpg

T’other one to finish off, then probably time to glue the coamings in place and fit the windscreens.

Images disappeared from post #3353?

Sven

Edited by Old Viper Tester
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...