A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

(though I think you’ve committed a “switch pigs” by leaving something important made... or is that just a FAA expression?)

“Switch Pigs”.....Now that’s an expression I don’t think I’ve come across for many years :)  We used it too.   Needed rather too frequently by some of us :whistle:

On 12/17/2019 at 2:00 PM, hendie said:

methinks folks are over thinking this.   It's relatively simple geometry. 

Measure the model. See what dimensions you need to make it. Shape as required. Cut, glue and assemble.  Job done

If you say so hendie :)   ’Modern' methods therefore eschewed in favour of measuring and cutting good ol fashioned plastic strip.

0.75mm square strip cut to the correct width for the main beam:

49242159117_e040c38772_b.jpg

Add some 0.25mm x 1mm strip so that the fillets and overhang can be represented.

49241470413_877a8bbc9c_b.jpg

Trimmed, drilled and dry fitted:

49242174402_8d26e93340_b.jpg

Painted and dry brushed:

49242259276_b056808020_b.jpg

Fits in ok.

49241790633_fb04fac0f3_b.jpg

Rear coaming also fits ok:

49241790658_bd931be18a_b.jpg

T’other one to finish off, then probably time to glue the coamings in place and fit the windscreens.

It had to be done really because, whilst much of it will be hidden behind the seat, part of the canopy opening/closing dampening mechanism (as you can see I don’t really know what it is) comes up through the hole on the starboard side of the beam and a cable that does - I don’t know what - pops up through the port hole. So the structure will be quite prominent on the completed (:rofl2:) build........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 21

I'm not familiar with the term "switch pigs" but can definitely relate to it.

As to the last update, it just proves you can make outstanding improvements with nothing more than bits of plastic rod!

Ian

• Like 1

Thats looking like a smart bit of styrene engineering. After all this this talk of CAD and 3D printing. I've come to the following conclusion:-

Fritag doesn't need a 3D printer,

Fritag IS a 3D printer  

But i have been looking at Anycubic Proton printers.

Maybe one day.

• Haha 7

Occam's razor at it's best in that last update Steve. :thumbsup2:

Unsettled by that rash statement about possible completion however as I'd rather counted on this thread  being a modelling Möbius strip that would see me into retirement a decade away. Selfish, I know. 😁

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Fritag doesn't need a 3D printer,

Fritag IS a 3D printer  

I'm inclined to go with that view myself........

...... then @hendie alerts me to this.......

Coming

Shock horror!

Terry

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, hendie said:

I thought he used a Swann Morton ?     Can I get one from Amazon?

Predictably perhaps in our uber-capitalist age it has now gone from philosophical proposition to shaving product:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/628200436/introducing-the-oren-razor-occams-razor-enhanced-n

Can't wait for the new range of Schrödinger's cat pet accessories that may - or may not - be available at a shop near you...

• Haha 12

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Predictably perhaps in our uber-capitalist age it has now gone from philosophical proposition to shaving product:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/628200436/introducing-the-oren-razor-occams-razor-enhanced-n

Can't wait for the new range of Schrödinger's cat pet accessories that may - or may not - be available at a shop near you...

They may, or may not, have been dribbled on by Pavlov's dog!

Ian

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Closely followed by the ground-breaking “Zeno” range of broadband routers, where the speed is spectacular yet it never actually seems to overtake anything.  Come to think of it, I think I’ve already got one of them.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I think we can safely dispense with the “for 1/72” in this sentence ;)

hmm ok poor phrasing I agree. What my brain intended was, "That cockpit is really outstanding, the fact that it is in a 1/72 Hawk even more so".  I'd assumed we could all see it is fantastic regardless of scale. Anyways, top work Fritag! 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Sorry @mirageiv - I didn’t mean that as a criticism of your post. Intended solely as a tongue-in-cheek way to build on the well justified praise rather than insulting your phrasing.

Ah, well that whooshing sound you may of heard wasn't Fritag reliving some of his Hawk hours in his model cave, but the intended meaning of your post going right by my head. Apologies to you mate also for any conveyed preciousness on my part, I thought I'd better make myself clearer incase it did come across wrong to those enjoying the thread!

Crack on chaps :D 

David 

p.s I now understand why this thread is 135 pages, the modelling alone frankly takes the p**s, which then merely is the building blocks of plenty of more p**s taking, good stuff.  

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

I’ve just spent a very enjoyable few minutes catching up with these two - it’s great to see them making such good progress. 

Lovely detailing work too - it’s these little touches that make all the difference. 

Finished in time for Christmas? 😉