A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

14 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Except it seems in some parts of Yorkshire. 

...and some 'Gentlemen's Establishments' in Germany. I'm told :whistle: 

• Haha 1

That is scarily neat Steve, very scarily neat.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, perdu said:

Sellotape

Plain simple Sellotape, other names are available

Stick it down where you want the flange, cut away the flange you don't want

Walk away

Isn't it called "Durex" in Australia....snigger snigger… :bleh:

Edited by Tomoshenko

In an example of modelling finesse and skill I have sloshed some Mr Surfacer around the vortex generators and wing fences:

IMG_0396_zpsaxexwuyc.jpeg

The little ‘oles into which the VGs had been planted needed a tad of filling and the wing fences and fl*nges are supposed to be one piece of bent metal and so any visible joins also needed filling.

Cue quite a bit of time spent trying to unscrew the gummed up tops of my various Mr Surfacer (500, 1000 & 1500) and Mr Dissolved putty jars (not entirely sure how I came to be  a ‘collector’ of such things) - followed by further time spent adding Mr Mr Color Levelling Thinner to resuscitate the sticky lumps that the contents had become.......

Anyways - after several seconds of contemplation Mr S 1000 was selected for the task and I look forward (?) to a session micromeshing the excess back.....

Many moons ago I thinnned and shaped the ailerons to commendably sharp corners......which have now of course all got bashed up and damaged - as the starboard one in the above piccie demonstrates....

If I was the Baron I would simply and immediately swap the ailerons for precision hand-crafted brass replacements......but seeing as I’m barely beyond etched brass folding (and only learnt from Ced’s Sunderland thread this morning that you fold etched brass with the half-etch line inside...) I’m just gonna add blobs of thick cyano to the damaged aileron tips and sand them sharp again......:)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 15

22 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I’m just gonna add blobs of thick cyano to the damaged aileron tips and sand them sharp again......:)

You may want to try CA mixed with flour. It can be sanded to razor thin. HTH

Ciao

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Self raising would be used for airship models

Good point! :D 

In all seriousness, I'd go with plain (the one I use is gluten free and plain): you don't want to risk strange reactions...

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

If I was the Baron I would simply and immediately swap the ailerons for precision hand-crafted brass replacements.

Aileron = single piece of brass folded in half lengthways - I'm not a complicated man Steve!

Mrs. B has a thick dossier on the subject by now.

(My simplemindedness, not ailerons, obvs...)

• Haha 5

Spent the evening cleaning up the Mr Surfacer and re-establishing pointy aileron tips with cyano.

Mixed flour with cyano as Giorgio mentioned above and as I’ve seen him do on his builds, and I found that a good filler.  I think it dries a bit softer than neat cyano (although I’ve not left it several hours to see if it hardens just as hard) and so I used tiny blobs of neat cyano at the very tips of the ailerons.

IMG_0401_zpswpzhsaqt.jpeg

IMG_0404_zpsr77apshb.jpeg

IMG_0403_zpsqg7zmpoa.jpeg

Jobs to do before main painting (I think) are:

(1) Fit the Instrument panels and coamings

(2) Attach the windscreen and blend it in to the fuselage (probably the biggest job)

(3) Attach the airbrakes and fuselage strakes.

(4) Attach the flaps (or  I may paint them separately and attach them later)

(5) Attach the tailplane

[all of these sub assemblies have more or less been made/got ready for fitting]

(6) Touch up the primer and micro mesh....I’ve tried to keep it neat as I’ve been going along so as to keep the work needed at that stage to a minimum - but I ‘spect some horrors will be revealed.  Then polish....and polish.....and polish....

PS.  Added by Edit.  I’ll try Tony’s (allegedly simple :)) brass ailerons on my next build..........Oh wait; the Jag didn’t have ailerons......shame...:whistle:;):D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Spent the evening cleaning up the Mr Surfacer and re-establishing pointy aileron tips with cyano.

Mixed flour with cyano as Giorgio mentioned above and as I’ve seen him do on his builds, and I found that a good filler.  I think it dries a bit softer than neat cyano (although I’ve not left it several hours to see if it hardens just as hard) and so I used tiny blobs of neat cyano at the very tips of the ailerons.

IMG_0401_zpswpzhsaqt.jpeg

IMG_0404_zpsr77apshb.jpeg

IMG_0403_zpsqg7zmpoa.jpeg

Jobs to do before main painting (I think) are:

(1) Fit the Instrument panels and coamings

(2) Attach the windscreen and blend it in to the fuselage (probably the biggest job)

(3) Attach the airbrakes and fuselage strakes.

(4) Attach the flaps (or  I may paint them separately and attach them later)

(5) Attach the tailplane

[all of these sub assemblies have more or less been made/got ready for fitting]

(6) Touch up the primer and micro mesh....I’ve tried to keep it neat as I’ve been going along so as to keep the work needed at that stage to a minimum - but I ‘spect some horrors will be revealed.  Then polish....and polish.....and polish....

PS.  Added by Edit.  I’ll try Tony’s (allegedly simple :)) brass ailerons on my next build..........Oh wait; the Jag didn’t have ailerons......shame...:whistle:;):D

Try Bicarbonate of soda instead of flour is rock solid

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

is there a chance they might be finished, er, soon? :) 

Yes Ced.  I think there's is definite, may be possibility that they may be, could be, might be, finished within the overall scope of a fluid, not too particular, expansively expressed, definition of soon  :winkgrin:

In geological timescales anyway.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

Try Bicarbonate of soda instead of flour is rock solid

Was about to post the same - just don't leave it dry too long as it's then like trying to sand real rock....!!

And that little list of jobs shouldn't take more than a couple of hours Steve - paint on by Sunday?! :whistle:

Keith

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

I think it dries a bit softer than neat cyano (although I’ve not left it several hours to see if it hardens just as hard) and so I used tiny blobs of neat cyano at the very tips of the ailerons.

:hmmm: That sounds odd. I'm guessing it can be down to the type of CA and the type of flour I use. BTW: I don't pre-mix cyano and flour, I put CA on first, then sprinkle flour on top of it, so it gets absorbed by the glue, then after a couple of minutes brush off the excess flour. On larger bits I repeat the process a few times.

And I used to use soda bicarbonate too, but I've never been happy with the finish once sanded, it always came out grainy for me.

Horses for courses, I guess :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, giemme said:

BTW: I don't pre-mix cyano and flour, I put CA on first, then sprinkle flour on top of it

Yes I thought that’s how you did it - and so I followed suit. I was pleased with the result and I’ll use it again 👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Horses for courses, I guess

Certainly is G, I tried using flour after seeing what great results you get with it, but I also found it was a bit soft and tended to flake or delaminate wwhen sanded. I guess it's possible there could be more varieties of flour than bicarb....?

Keith

• Like 1

Ive seen there seems to be theme of videos on social media recently of using ramen dried noodles and superglue to fix various things. Maybe grinding some noodles up to a powder and using that as an experiment. Something I might try one day on pot noodle day.

• Haha 2