A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Diet? Don't talk to me about 'diet'…

Why is it that all the 'healthy' stuff is so, er, bland?

Lunch? After a Full English I don't need lunch so it's purely for pleasure and to accompany my friends while they partake. Cake is acceptable IMHO :) 

PC's right though - if I'm out (with or without Mrs B) I tend to go for something tasty. Like cake. Or beer.

Of course there's also my continued research into the perfect 'Sticky Toffee Pudding', like the one I had in Morpeth in 1984.

A hint for the uninitiated - sponge, even with toffee sauce on top, is NOT pudding. It HAS to have dates in it.

Like Nigella's. I've always liked her puddings :whistle:

Anyway, isn't it time that our Fritag had a thread drift into some modelling? Or is he practising his 3D modelling skills? :wicked:

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Anyway, isn't it time that our Fritag had a thread drift into some modelling?

That's a jolt back to reality. Quite the task master you are Ced. ;) :D Probably a good idea though,  my LOL reaction finger was getting weary & the fun police ;) will put me on a quota if I'm not careful. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Look, leave him alone: those holidays don’t take themselves, you know.  Would you want a tired lawyer?

[A touch of solidarity (-ish) from a man who has at least 2 stalled builds that pre-date the Hawks...]

Funnily enough I find that being a lawyer has a tendency to send me to sleep, tired or not......

Soupçon of solidarity acknowledged :)  Will endeavour to to reciprocate where appropriate (lawyer’s promise, suitably caveated.....:whistle:)

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Anyway, isn't it time that our Fritag had a thread drift into some modelling? Or is he practising his 3D modelling skills? :wicked:

Not sure how much modelling has happened in these 131 pages tbh.  Keep expecting the Mods to shut it down.......

3D modelling skills?  I’ll have you know I downloaded an app to this very iPad (not that you can see or know that I’m typing this on an iPad Pro in a coffee shop after having been to the gym  - except that I’ve just told you of course [wish I’d not started that]) - gonna start very slowly learning.  After all you can email designs to your mates to 3D print with this clever internetty/emailee thingy can’t you....You know, extra special mates :whistle: 

Thread drift?  Oh well.  With all due apologies for drift.....

Finished the gun sights (with the same tacky bit of (unmentionable egg) foil [sorry Crisp]) and stuck em to the coamings.  Tried Gators Grip (not sure) so ended up using it as a positioning tack for some thin cyano:

IMG_0379_zpscrlgrlgv.jpeg

IMG_0384_zpsxvalkawd.jpeg

I’ll add the glass at the need of the build.  Don’t hold your breath......

Probably too purply now - especially as Kirk, in a post somewhere above, backtracked somewhat and suggested it was actually on the green side of purple :D   But if anyone wants to stick their heads close enough to the Hawk to see the gun sight lens then there be plenty of horrors to distract their attention.......

Next task.

Not finished with the wing fences yet.

At 1:1 they have a flange that (presumably) is used to attach them to the wings.  It’s not recreated in the kit moulding or any of the etch sheets - so I thought I’d have a punt with some 0.2mm Tamiya plastic paper cut into 0.5mm wide strips:

IMG_0369_zpsjplvoptf.jpeg

I then used a scrap wing to stretch the strips a little to encourage it to conform to the shape of the wing:

IMG_0371_zpsidsq7v7b.jpeg

One end rounded and glued in place with some Tamiya green-cap:

IMG_0372_zpsc9jklwth.jpeg

Once dry, then stretched/pulled around the wing:

IMG_0373_zpsd7sytzqf.jpeg

And trimmed and shaped and stuck underneath:

IMG_0376_zpsmgfahedh.jpeg

Now waiting to fully dry/cure.  With a drop more green-cap, the front has softened and conformed to the wing angle better than in this piccie:

IMG_0375_zpsl0txrnrr.jpeg

0.2mm is a little on the thick/clunky side.  I would have preferred to use 0.1mm but I’ve found that the 0.1mm plastic paper softens/distorts too easily when in contact with a liquid cement like the green-cap so 0.2mm it was.

Anyway - the plan, once the flanges are dry, is to gently thin them to a less overscale appearance with a sanding stick.  I’m hoping that they’ll be a little but eye-catching addition once painted.  A bit of a dark wash should show em up nicely.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 19

For once, a post from me about the model, so hope you’re sitting down.

Stick with it on Gator’s Grip; I agree that it’s a bit of an act of faith to start with, because initially it doesn’t really appear to do anything much.  But when allowed to cure it’s excellent; I use it for probably 90% of my PE nowadays.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Steve, as always :) 

I really enjoyed gazing over the additional details you've added - they'll look great under some paint (one day).

39 minutes ago, Fritag said:

But if anyone wants to stick their heads close enough to the Hawk to see the gun sight lens then there be plenty of horrors to distract their attention.......

How to spot a Britmodeller #64 :D 

• Haha 7

Sellotape

Plain simple Sellotape, other names are available

Stick it down where you want the flange, cut away the flange you don't want

Walk away

It is scale thin to represent the flanges, sticky enough to hit and stick and a coat of paint will seal it down to its fate

Thin plasticard can do it but what a palaver...

Still, that said the gunsights look proper Fritag to me, truly nice and if (IF) you wanted a slight colour drift why not a spot of Tamiya Clear Green X-25 as a thin film over the Cadbury ?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Plain simple Sellotape, other names are available

Stick it down where you want the flange, cut away the flange you don't want

Walk away

Interesting. I’ll confess to not having thought of sellotape. Not a material I’ve used for modelling.

Am a bit sceptical tho’ :hmmm: Not sure if sellotape can stretch around compound curves; also, I did think about cutting/trimming the radiused ends of the flanges in-situ - but decided it was easier/neater to sand such a small radius before fixing it in place.

In the end I was comforted by the fact that good old plastic card is so controllable.  Welds nicely to the the surfaced with solvent, can be scraped, sanded and trimmed etc etc.

Anyways (1)  - Wot’s a bit of palaver?  The hobby’s full of palaver (mind you - that could just be me...:D.)

Anyways (2) - chance to use my favourite scraping gizmo:

942EBC6B-1756-4D98-9243-35DCCA3B47E4_zps

Anyways (3) - I ain’t taking them orf to see if sellotape’s better!! :lol:

First stage clean up/refinement.  Should look sufficiently neat.

IMG_0008_zpsfnqtt4d9.jpeg

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Should look sufficiently neat.

Very neat flanges there Steve. 

Sounds a bit like a chat up line!

Terry

PS. Another variation on Bill's idea might be self adhesive "metalskin" often used for canopy masking. It would adhere to a leading edge curve I reckon and could be trimmed as Bill describes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That's more excellent detailing, Steve :clap: 

Thinking along Bill's line, I'd have used Tamiya Tape for curves (I did something similar for the cowling bulges on my ME109 build, if you remember) but I confess I'm ignorant about the required scale thickness you need here, so I don't know if it's suitable or not here

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

0.2mm is a little on the thick/clunky side.  I would have preferred to use 0.1mm but I’ve found that the 0.1mm plastic paper softens/distorts too easily when in contact with a liquid cement like the green-cap so 0.2mm it was 

Have you tried the quick setting version of tamiya extra thin. That might let you use 0.1mm without the melt down.

• Like 2

I dunno... the lengths you'll go to in order to avoid learning the scholarly art of CADmonkery

I like Bill's idea of the clear green droplets.  

I like Crisp's observation.

the 'awk's not bad either

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Basically, Steve, what everyone is saying is that you’ve done it wrong. 

:rofl:

The one thing that my two jobs (single seat FJ & the Bar) have in common is the inculcation of  a thick headed refusal to listen to anyone else’s opinion - and an unreasonable belief in ones own opinion.....

It’s not my fault if everyone else is wrong is it? :whistle:

• Haha 13

Personally, I'd have stuck the selotape on before cutting the slot for the wing fence, then you could just peel it off and cut parallel to that to get perfect flanges.

But I say this with benefit of the last few posts.

So how does everyone else make their flanges? (Titter ye not!)

Ian

It appears that the case of Flange vs Wing has been amicably resolved.

T'Hawk looks most smartly dressed now Steve.

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

Funnily enough I find that being a lawyer has a tendency to send me to sleep, tired or not......

It's the claret at lunch, isn't it? :whistle:

• Haha 2

Have we had enough of flanges then? 

I confess I never appreciated the myriad view that a humble flange could provoke. :)

I now feel quite old fashioned in me methods :D  The old-faithful plastic card is obvs. no longer the go-to material of choice......Nevertheless, 4 flanges have been produced:

07769439-9C19-4468-B858-6B49914F7549_zps

EB441E87-1F2F-4FE6-8A6A-9C96D46168C2_zps

E9705335-469A-4A69-B5AA-F4326127B077_zps

7085424A-F183-4F58-8217-0A752DE7D624_zps

And the Fritag flange production line hereby closes.....

Shan’t be reopening it....unless someone has plans for a Great Britmodeller Flange Off (GBFO)......:D

BTW.  Looks like I’ve got to straighten a few vortex generators before painting.........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

Great flanges - and the way that's comfortable for you is usually the best… unless you want to use aluminium repair tape like wot TheBaron does? I've had a play with it and it's easy to handle.

Too late for this one (they look good) but worth having some in the toolbox IMHO :) 

• Like 1