A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Rather remarkably my airbrush hadn't seized up.  I must actually have cleaned it properly last time I used it.

Anyway.  It worked well enough for the few seconds it took to squirt lightened Tamiya Nato Black on to a couple of tiddly sights :)

6E69EDF8-3D88-4758-88E3-A5E7CB9A8E43_zps

They don't look much at the mo.  Bit of dry brushing should help tho'.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Not sure what to do as it 'happens.  In the few photos of the gun sight that I've seen the lens just looks shiny black.  I don't think I really want the lens to stand out or to attract the eye - so's I think might just leave it all black.  Jury's out.

Sounds like a ginormous mid-air waiting to happen.  Are you sure you're still alive Crisp? :D

Ooh, I'd like to have seen an An-124 like that....

I went to Athens for the weekend once, with some chums and a few Jaguars and we landed at Athens International.  Had a jolly nice weekend.

When it came time to go home we found ourselves in the queue to take off with airliners various.  We felt somewhat small and insignificant IIRC, but at the same time a bit show-offy and look-at-me :blush:

Anyways we're next to go after a 747, and the realisation dawns that none of us know how long we should leave it after the passage of a 747 before the wake turbulence has subsided to safe-for-jaguars-to-take-off levels. We were too embarrassed to leave it for very long so we counted several bananas and went for it with fingers crossed.

It was all fine.  Can't remember even feeling a bump.  Do remember feeling very sheepish and not-quite-as-professional-as-we-thought-we-were.  Got over it tho' :whistle:

Thought you'd have been airborne long before the 74 rotated or are we talking a hot day curvature of the earth departure...….

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Thought you'd have been airborne long before the 74 rotated or are we talking a hot day curvature of the earth departure...….

Steve just a quick one, as I am working on a Tucano at the moment,

did you ever indulge in it and how similar was the Pits layout in comparison to the Hawk ?

Paul

12 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

or are we talking a hot day curvature of the earth departure...….

It was hot day.........

did you ever indulge in it and how similar was the Pits layout in comparison to the Hawk ?

Paul

Sorry Paul,

Never sat in a Tucano.  Closest I've come is when they've flown over the house...

You know you're getting on a bit when the training aircraft that replaced the training aircraft you trained on is also now out of service.....if you follow me...:fraidnot:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fritag said:

It was hot day.........

Sorry Paul,

Never sat in a Tucano.  Closest I've come is when they've flown over the house...

You know you're getting on a bit when the training aircraft that replaced the training aircraft you trained on is also now out of service.....if you follow me...:fraidnot:

Know exactly what you mean, I was a JP  boy and grew up with them about every where in the 80's , never liked the Tucano as it came into service in 89 when the RAF fell out with me......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Anyways we're next to go after a 747, and the realisation dawns that none of us know how long we should leave it after the passage of a 747 before the wake turbulence has subsided to safe-for-jaguars-to-take-off levels. We were too embarrassed to leave it for very long so we counted several bananas and went for it with fingers crossed.

In days gone by, when I was doing post-graduate studies and my best mate was building hours for his Com license, I was the preferred extra weight for cross country navs ( I knew about flying a bit, something of nav, but more importantly was single and could work flexi hours, so no one to nagg when am I going to be home etc...). 

Most of the nav sorties we flew at night, in those beautifull summer or winter nights the Cape of Storms (Soutn Africa) can give. Our plane of choice: Piper Tomohawk. So, taxying out one evening in Cape Town International a BA 747 ends up behind us on the taxiway. We get take off clearance and as we rotate the 747 gets clearance to line up and depart. With a strong warning (advice) from the tower to watch out for wake turbulence from that departing Tomohawk.... Cool, calm and collected read-back as ever from the BA captain "copy cleared for take off, alpha departure, caution Papa Charlie wake turbulence, thank you and good night"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rizon said:

Most of the nav sorties we flew at night, in those beautifull summer or winter nights the Cape of Storms (Soutn Africa) can give

Now that sounds rather fine; beautiful in fact.  Feel somewhat envious......:)

Sights.  Dry brushed and dry fitted; I’ll ad the krystal klear lenses once I’ve glued em.

I think I’ll leave the glass off until the end; they’ll only get knocked off anyway if I don’t.  Also the acetate scratches and scuffs easily and these two need to be binned and new ones cut.

IMG_0349_zpsb1m8gszj.jpeg

IMG_0347_zpslzsp9vet.jpeg

I like doing the little bits and bobs like this.  Bit sad really :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 19
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kirk said:

The 1:1 lenses I've seen have some sort of coating that makes them glisten slightly purple/green (or I may have had 1 too many).

Those are anti-reflection coatings, not unlike those you see on camera lenses etc. For a gunsight or HUD, they are usually high-efficiency multi-layer anti-reflection coatings, and the colour you see will change depending on what angle you're viewing the glass (straight-on, grazing incidence and so on). Not easy to duplicate in a model, unless you find some really small, multi-layer coated lenses to drop into your gunsight. But if anyone can pull it off, @Fritag can.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sights look good! :clap:

19 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Not easy to duplicate in a model, unless you find some really small, multi-layer coated lenses to drop into your gunsight. But if anyone can pull it off, @Fritag can.

Sure. Give him more ideas to postpone painting: he'll jump right in, head first. Tsk.

:rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 10

11 minutes ago, giemme said:

Sure. Give him more ideas to postpone painting: he'll jump right in, head first. Tsk.

Ha.  Listen Giorgio, I’ve just been looking at Bill’s paint job on his Javelin.  Can’t make up my mind whether to be inspired or just plain discouraged :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Ha.  Listen Giorgio, I’ve just been looking at Bill’s paint job on his Javelin.  Can’t make up my mind whether to be inspired or just plain discouraged :D

I'd say, don't listen to him but just do like him. :D

No offense, Bill - just the urge to see some paint on these two little gems :)

Ciao

• Like 1

Those HUDs look the business, nicely done.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Im sure theres a way of doing the anti reflective coating. thinking of a combination of that paint that changes colour on a car as you walk around it and a gloss clear coat.

CT

2 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Im sure theres a way of doing the anti reflective coating. thinking of a combination of that paint that changes colour on a car as you walk around it and a gloss clear coat.

What about those translucent multi-colored sweetie wrappers - punch a couple of discs and fit them?  Crimbo is coming up so I'm sure there will be plenty of sweeties kicking about

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hendie said:

What about those translucent multi-colored sweetie wrappers - punch a couple of discs and fit them?  Crimbo is coming up so I'm sure there will be plenty of sweeties kicking about

“Darling, I’m only having my 19th sweetie because I am researching materials for HUD surfaces”...  I have never met Frau Fritag, but I’m guessing that she not buying that one...

• Haha 12

6 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have never met Frau Fritag, but I’m guessing that she not buying that one...

Correct.....

I’m sat in a coffee shop in Harrogate browsing BM over a cup of coffee having been to the gym at zero-dark-thirty this morning....after having been ‘motivated’ to go by Mrs F.....

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

thinking of a combination of that paint that changes colour on a car

Generally the metallic flakes in those are on the large size for 1/24 car models, I'd think they'd be much too big for 1/72 - and the paint gives a solid finish not translucent...

Years back I was given some acrylic 'flip' paints to try out on a car model but I couldn't get them to spray, so chucked them, so I can't for the life of me remember who made them, but do recall they were intended for use in taxidermy!!

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Generally the metallic flakes in those are on the large size for 1/24 car models, I'd think they'd be much too big for 1/72 - and the paint gives a solid finish not translucent...

Years back I was given some acrylic 'flip' paints to try out on a car model but I couldn't get them to spray, so chucked them, so I can't for the life of me remember who made them, but do recall they were intended for use in taxidermy!!

Keith

Perhaps pearlescent acrylic paint will work in 1/72, most art shops I frequent have some or other variant that can be painted / sprayed over any previous acrylic colour. Some of them have very fine "flakes", or what ever it is that gives it the luster. Always wanted to give that a try.

Having taken a look at the impossibly small size of the instrument coamings (let alone the gun sight within it), I've come around to Steve's way of thinking on the whole lens thing (I think): It's tiny and it looks clear. Why make life even more complicated?

Now I've said that, he'll probably re-make it with working target symbols...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Your sights are

for sore eyes

for sure.

Immaculate no less.

Plus I know

On 11/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, Fritag said:

like doing the little bits and bobs like this

that nanoscale feeling very well...

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Ok you rotten blighters.

So I was buying a newspaper yesterday morning and saw some sort of Cadbury cream egg wrapped in purple foil........and before I could stop myself I’d spent my pocket money.....(chucked the egg away - can’t stand em....)

Seeing as I had a spare gun sight (not having lost any to the carpet monster) I thought it was worth having a play - if only to give you rotters a laugh.......It’s not like I’m in a hurry or owt.

So I punched out a few discs of the de-egged purple foil of various sizes 0.8mm to 1.2mm

IMG_0352_zpsyv0vlzs5.jpeg

And decided it was easiest to stick the the largest one to the back of the gun sight using Klear.

IMG_0353_zpspljwu9ku.jpeg

And then I filled the hole from the top with Krystal Klear.

IMG_0358_zpszbqcwrrt.jpeg

Actually my little old bottle of Krystal Klear had partially dried out and as I had to thin a sticky lump of Krystal Klear with tap water to get it to flow I wasn’t at all sure how it would dry.

Anyways it dried pretty clear and glossy, with just a hint of purple to be seen.

IMG_0367_zpsxkhjcxfj.jpeg

So I suppose it sort of worked :)

Of course I have no idea if your right Kirk that there’s a sort of purple/green glint to the lens - I wouldn’t put it past you........

And anyways I couldn’t find a purple/green wrapped cream egg so just purple it was......

And also of course it’s a complete waste of time cos the lens is only 0.8mm in diameter and you can’t see the purple glint from any sensible model viewing distance.  You need a camera close up under a bright light for that :rofl2:

But see what you made me do?

Now I’ve got to decide whether to do it to the 2 guns sights I’m gonna actually fit to the TWU Hawk.

• Like 15