A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

41 minutes ago, Fritag said:

It was 'Bake Off' last night;

Really? "Bake Off", "Strictly come dancing", .... :fraidnot:  :D  :D 

Wing fences look just great, though :clap: And I agree with Ced here:

20 minutes ago, CedB said:

What about "Practice makes perfect"? I reckon that's a more appropriate phrase for your impressive modelling matey 

Ciao

• Like 1

Does anyone else find they have a feeling of calmness and slowed time when reading Steve's updates?

The sense of purpose and insight into the making of structure(s) here beguiles every time.

I mean, I know this is page 124 and there are shorter novels but really.

I mean to say.

Quite zen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

On 10/15/2019 at 7:13 AM, Fritag said:

Painful isn't it.........Sorry Neil.......But I'm expecting the pace to pick up - I'm only a several years away from retiring :D

I've got news for you Steve. I fully retired finally, earlier this year, and my already glacial build pace seems to have slowed down!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, hendie said:

Remember, he was a pilot, NOT roughy toughy groundcrew 

I have also been known to use sun screen and moisturiser..............

And I never did, and still do not, know how the aeroplanes worked......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 10/15/2019 at 7:13 AM, Fritag said:

Painful isn't it.........Sorry Neil.......But I'm expecting the pace to pick up - I'm only a several years away from retiring :D

I've got news for you Steve. I fully retired finally, earlier this year, and my already glacial build pace seems to have slowed down!

Terry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

And I never did, and still do not, know how the aeroplanes worked......

Money and paperwork mate. Without either they don't work!

Ian

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

I have also been known to use sun screen and moisturiser.....

Quite right. Manliness is not only skin deep.

And anyway, "You're worth it" :wicked:

I have some moisturiser somewhere that Mrs B bought me 'a while ago' but I think it's now crustier than the skin it was supposed to go on :shrug:

Now manicures, there another thing entirely…

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

I have also been known to use sun screen and moisturiser..............

Perhaps but I'm not going to ask what you used them for!

• Haha 4

Is there a corresponding manual for helicopters? Their uncanny ability to get off the ground goes WAY beyond simple air and magic. Crisp has often patiently tried to dumb the subject down for us hard-of-thinking types, but I feel that a diagram like the above might really uncover the mysteries of a collective, swash plate etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Is there a corresponding manual for helicopters? Their uncanny ability to get off the ground goes WAY beyond simple air and magic. Crisp has often patiently tried to dumb the subject down for us hard-of-thinking types, but I feel that a diagram like the above might really uncover the mysteries of a collective, swash plate etc.

They are really very easy Kirk

Magic makes the whizzy thing on top lighter than the helicopter but of course that just gives the absence of control that has to be controlled by something or they'd flop about all over the sky making everything untidy

The marvellous way they do that is quantum

Quantum is generated in tiny bits by the mysterious doohickeys just behind the tail whizzy thing

Look here, do you see the vee shaped quantum disorganizers here on this machine preserved from crashing in London

The disorganisers enable the driver, a very skilful chap (ask Noel Edmonds) to use quantum to point them along a track to the destination

Or destiny

5-Ace-Hendon-138.jpg

BL**dy clever things disorganisers

Anyway, hope that helps

• Haha 12

Great explanation Bill :) 

If you also actually want to know how to fly things David Gunson explains it in his great after dinner speech 'What goes up might come down' here.

If you haven't heard the whole speech and have an hour to spend, it's well worth listening to the whole thing and hearing about flying from someone who used to try to control the things. Recommended! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Never seen one, I think that is just black magic. Maybe dark magic.  

Either that or helicopters are so ugly the earth just repels them!

I suspect that @Ex-FAAWAFU aka Crisp may have view on all this. I look forward to reading his comments.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can never decide whether I prefer the digressions or the modelling on this thread. Don't know what I'll do if Steve ever finishes it; probably start learning lots about making Jaguars I suspect.

Thanks Bill, Crisp etc - I needed something to smile at today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To fly according to Douglas Adams,one simply falls to the floor and misses,i therefore deduce that aircraft are constantly missing the ground.easy.😜

Edited by fatalbert
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Jets are for kids.

He is right of course :)......but then so were Sopwith Camels, Spitfires, Hurricanes, P51's et al.    They still make your middle-aged heart soar tho' :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3