A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

There you go… another arrow for your already bulging quiver :D 

Great job Steve, they look spot on.

As you know I'm no expert but I do like soldering. Or at least trying. One tip I found helpful is that the solder travels towards the heat so stick the iron in an appropriate place - give it a try and don't forget to flux the bits you want covered in solder and not the other bits.

• Like 3

Top job on those strakes. I did much soldering in my "middle earth" years when I attempted to build P4 scale brass and white metal locomotives. It's an art that has it's place here in the plastic modelling world, as many on here are now showing.

I think you have mastered it well Steve!

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

"I hope Steve has cut the rods short so they don't interfere with the jet pipes..."

Ah.  Good thought.  Now that's why your the one-and-only- truly-original, Bill.

They're not glued in yet so no harm done one way or t'other.

think the fuselage is too deep at that point for them to interfere......but just to be on the safe side I'll trim em so they don't protrude more'n a tad through the fuselage......

1 hour ago, CedB said:

As you know I'm no expert

Nope.  Don't know that Ced.  Will not see or listen to such comment.  Fingers in ears, eyes closed, "La La La La......".

1 hour ago, CedB said:

One tip I found helpful is that the solder travels towards the heat so stick the iron in an appropriate place - give it a try and don't forget to flux the bits you want covered in solder and not the other bits.

Especially when I gets a tip like that, wot is going to be squirrelled away for future use. :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

On 29/07/2019 at 22:38, rob Lyttle said:

113 pages..... 

There are 2 little critters sitting on my shoulders,  one saying "Wow, this should be a good read" and the other one is saying "No no, just walk away. Don't get involved, it's not worth it. They're all crazy...." 

I'm mildly concerned for when I start my Airfix Hawk..... 

• Haha 8

Turned out very nicely despite the fact that you used your entire solder ration for the next year all in one go! They look better than my latest effort, that's for sure!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 2

Nice strakes! The dog's danglies as they say.   👍

I'm too lazy to solder, though, and I always end up with solder where it doesn't belong (like under my nails). What I usually do is to leave the stub on the photoetch part - you know, the portion that attaches the part to the fret. I then drill the tiny holes in the model and use the stub the same way you're using the brass rod. For sure, your method is stronger, but the photoetch stub at least allows me to attach it to the model without a butt join. I do this all the time for blade antennae and stuff like that. Remember my Beaufort and its antennae forest? Yikes.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

think the fuselage is too deep at that point for them to interfere......but just to be on the safe side I'll trim em so they don't protrude more'n a tad through the fuselage......

I think the real jet pipe has a kink in it so it sits quite close to the airbrake jack. It can be a bit sooty inside so who's to know/complain if it has to sit a little high in the miniature version?

I always figured they put that much solder on the roll so you can use plenty of it when you're learning. Otherwise, what would be the point of all those solder mats/sponges/syringes etc. that they sell? So don't get too good too quickly or you'll find you have far too much solder in the house; it'll probably go off.

Nice strakes.

• Haha 3

Nice straking sir and glad to you have joined the fold of soldererers 

Well make a modeler out of you yet!

PS fumbling this on my phone so no quotes or fancy anything's until I get back home at the weekend 

• Like 1

Belt and braces on that solution to strake fitting Steve.

They look quite excellent in place. :thumbsup2:

Letter confirming your induction into the August Society of Metal Melters being despatched in a brass envelope by postal rocket. 

Should - whoosh - reach you about:

now.

• Haha 6

"Well.....I'm the kind of guy who just likes to mess around,

I fill 'em and I smooth 'em and I sand the rivets down,

I add a little brass

When it suits me on my kit,

If that don't sort the problem out,

Then I don't give a s**t,

They call me the solderer,

yea, the solderer,

I rove around, around, around, around,......."

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 13

41 minutes ago, woody37 said:

By gosh, this must be the longest double build in history Steve! Do have to say, rather nice though, that soldering is spot on :)

Will we ever see a 1/72 Jag from you? 😜

Oh for goodness sake, don't distract the guy, will you?

:rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

• Haha 11

15 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm too lazy to solder..........What I usually do is to leave the stub on the photoetch part - you know, the portion that attaches the part to the fret. I then drill the tiny holes in the model and use the stub the same way you're using the brass rod.

I'm with you 100% on that Bill.  And if the darned strakes had any attachment stubs in the right place - I'd have bloomin' well used em. :)

14 hours ago, hendie said:

you have joined the fold of soldererers 

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

your induction into the August Society of Metal Melters

:hmmm:There aren't any fold/society fees to be paid? or any strange initiation rights? or owt ?  Right?

9 hours ago, woody37 said:

By gosh, this must be the longest double build in history Steve!

:blush::blush::blush: Painful isn't it.........Sorry Neil.......But I'm expecting the pace to pick up - I'm only a several years away from retiring :D

9 hours ago, woody37 said:

Will we ever see a 1/72 Jag from you? 😜

I'm holding on for a decent kit :whistle:

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh for goodness sake, don't distract the guy, will you?

I dunno why so many people seemed to find this funny :blush: :)

So.  Seeing as there was a little time last night when I wasn't too distracted.....I nervously cut a slot in the lovely neat wing.....(I measured it at least 4 times first)

B9A9D1C1-0358-4B99-998D-E39DB9F3DD27_zps

Into which an Airwaves wing fence (thankfully) fitted.......

92EAD5CF-154B-4C1A-A4B5-7136818A0BA4_zps

26DD74E1-FF59-4455-9BF9-B910857937D9_zps

I thought the fuselage strakes would probably (inevitably) get knocked during handling if I stuck them on at this point;  so they've joined the numerous sub-assemblies in hiding storage to be fitted just before painting.

See.  At some point all of these sub assemblies will get fitted and progress will accelerate to a breathtaking speed (or at least to a rate of progress closer to the Britmodeller average........)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 13

49 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Into which an Airwaves wing fence (thankfully) fitted.......

That looks really good! :clap:  :clap: 

50 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I dunno why so many people seemed to find this funny

I dunno either, mine was a serious concern...

:rofl:  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 4

That has to be the first time ever that the words "Airwaves" and "fitted" have been used in the same sentence! (At least without a negative in between them!)

Nice job!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Shall we progress?

Yup!

Nice fences Steve, well done you and Andrew*

*Andy is ir-responsible for much of the Airwaves development back when they were produced for his dad's shop

• Like 2

It was 'Bake Off' last night; so even when one has time to do modelling, one can't be expected to have done much modelling can one? 

But I did continue to flirt with disaster bringing the razor saw into intimate contact with the wings.

One done.  The fences are just test fitted at the mo.  I think I'll prime them before gluing them in place.  Probably with cyano.

8D352E92-EFA6-450C-A5BC-D2C5ECCBE614_zps

One marked up and initial cuts made.  I've found that the danger time is always the second Hawk.  A bit of complacency and carelessness sometimes slips in when I'm repeating steps......

706FE9CB-0E1E-4A0A-B9C3-3D036FF164CB_zps

After this there I've got to mutilate the wings some more to fit the wing leading edge breakaway strips (fitted I think to give an earlier stall warning).

Haven't figured out how to do that yet.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Fritag said:

A bit of complacency and carelessness sometimes slips in when I'm repeating steps......

Ah, the old "Familiarity breeds contempt" effect eh? What about "Practice makes perfect"? I reckon that's a more appropriate phrase for your impressive modelling matey  :D 

Spoiler alert! Stop reading now if you haven't watched Bake Off yet (or don't care)!

Poor Henry, sad to see him go. But we all know who's going to win, don't we? Master Baker herself. Well deserved though I reckon. Unless…

(they do like their

… irritating pause

…tension don't they?)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Bugger. I avidly watched the Chipmunk and JP3 & 5 builds, how on earth did I miss this one????

Surely seventy or eighty pages left to go yet Roland, chill man

Lots of time to catch up...

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6