A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

I had to do the very hot water thing with one of the resin tail booms in my FAW1 Vixen build.  It is a SERIOUS act of faith; I had apocalyptic visions of ending up with an expensive puddle of useless resin... but actually it worked beautifully.  

As has yours.  But I bet you needed a stiff drink afterwards!

P.S.  I’ve rather lost track, but since you are surely getting relatively close to some paint, I’ll ask.  I know one of these is a Chivenor camouflaged airframe.  Is the other yer classic 80s trainer scheme?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

P.S.  I’ve rather lost track, but since you are surely getting relatively close to some paint, I’ll ask.  I know one of these is a Chivenor camouflaged airframe.  Is the other yer classic 80s trainer scheme?

So have I Crisp, so have I.  I’m not actually sure what else I’ve got to do before painting.

But I do know that t’other is indeed yer classic 80’s trainer scheme; which to my old and bias eyes suits the Hawk very nicely indeed and looks much smarter than the (now not so) new fangled black.

I need to look back at the JP thread to remind myself what red and grey paints I  used on previous efforts on the 80’s scheme. 

In other news it was in the local press t’other day that the Tucano has now been retired.  Now that made me feel old.  It meant that not only was the trainer that I was dragged through flying training on, the JP, retired; but so was its replacement!

I remember being sniffy about the Tucano when it came into service.  Real men learned to fly on jets etc etc. :D

Added by edit:

I wish now that I’d gotten a trip in the Tucano.  I probably would have eaten my words.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 9

I know what you mean; as long as there were ships and/or aircraft types I’d used still in service, I could kid myself that I wasn’t 100% old git.  

Ark Royal was the last of my ships to survive.  Then the Sea King went.  Then the Lynx.  The FAA Museum now contains three airframes in my logbook (a Gazelle, a Lynx & a Sea King). 

Old. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’ve rather lost track, but since you are surely getting relatively close to some paint,

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

So have I Crisp, so have I.  I’m not actually sure what else I’ve got to do before painting.

(is it considered bad form to quote oneself?)

Anyways.  Crisp's comment has prompted me to do a stock take of what's done and what's still to be done; and I think it's this:

I've got the following sub assemblies tucked away for when (assuming there is a when.....) they're needed:

Flaps

Tailplanes

Tailpipes

Main U/C legs + wheels

Nose U/C legs + wheels

Cockpit coamings

Ejection Seats

Starter exhaust pipes (fuselage top)

Windscreens/Canopys

CBLS

Instrument Panels

I've got the following to add/do to the airframes before starting painting:

Instrument Panels

Cockpit coamings

Wing fences (etch set)

Stall strips (etch set)

Ventral fins (etch set)

Windscreen (home vac-form)

Wing pylons (Chivenor Hawk) (tbd - modified kit/scratch?)

Gun Pod (Chivenor Hawk) (tbd - modified kit/scratch?)

And I think adding the following can wait until after the main painting:

Flaps

Airbrakes (NB partially drooped see thread pp 60-62 #1478 -#1518)

Strobe lights (tbd - scratch from clear sprue)

Navigation lights (tbd - paint/clear sprue)

Small exhaust pipe - lower starboard fuselage - (tbd scratch from tube)

Starter exhaust pipes (fuselage top)

Aerials -misc. IFF + Radio + nav aids - (etch set or scratch)

Undercarriage

Undercarriage doors (tbd - kit and/or etch set)

Jet pipe (see thread p59 - #1459 )

Canopy

CBLS (Chivenor Hawk)

Gunsights (Chivenor Hawk) (etch set)

Control columns (resin)

Storage bag on rear cockpit bulkhead (scratch from lead foil?)

Cockpit rail details (scratch - tbd)

Ejection seats

Curiously I haven't been able to find any good side-on photographs or plans for the wing pylons so the exact size and shape is still a bit of a mystery to me.  Good photo's of the gun pod seem to be a bit scarce too.

Not too bad a list.  Found the exercise quite motivating tbh......

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Curiously I haven't been able to find any good side-on photographs or plans for the wing pylons so the exact size and shape is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Came across this site recently. Completely wrong Mk of Hawk I know, but might help, especially the sub page for Pylons & Stores

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Articles/hawkdm_5.html

Terry

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Could we get to page 200?? :D 

You mean 300, right? :rofl: 

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Not too bad a list.  Found the exercise quite motivating tbh......

I found the list quite intimidating, TBH, but also introductory to more fun to come :D

Ciao

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Came across this site recently. Completely wrong Mk of Hawk I know, but might help, especially the sub page for Pylons & Stores

Thanks Terry,

I think it helps with the gun pod actually; which I think is the same 30mm Aden pod as fitted to the Raf T1/T1A's.  There are a few decent photos of the gun pod on the site.

The pylons are different unfortunately.  The RAAF Hawk 127 has a 4 pylon fit and the T1/1A are 2 pylons; and those 2 pylons look different to my eyes from any of the ones fitted to the RAAF Hawks.

I haven't checked, but it may be that neither the inboard or outboard pylons on the Hawk 127 are in the same location on the wing as the single underwing pylon on the T1/1A.

• Like 1

Glad the gun pod pics help. I thought the pylons might not work after closer inspection they seemed different. I might have a publication stuffed away in my archives somewhere with plans - seem to recall one years ago - but it may not have survived!. I'll check anyway.

Terry

Hi, Steve.

Glad that the Mr. Surfacer worked on the grills. Stellar job on those details.

I've just found something about the pylons. Not sure, though, if pertinent with your specific aircraft type.

Link1

Link2

Link3

Link4

Le last one leads you to a thread of RC models. Just scroll down almost at the end of the page, look at image on the right.

Best regards

Eugenio

• Like 3

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Could we get to page 200?? :D 

23 hours ago, giemme said:

You mean 300, right? :rofl: 

:blush:.......Did you really have to draw attention to the threads meandering flabbiness? :weep:........I might try Crisp's Seaking trick of starting a new second thread - and then keeping that one lean and efficient and maybe even speedy...........

21 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

Le last one leads you to a thread of RC models. Just scroll down almost at the end of the page, look at image on the right.

Thanks Eugenio,

The 1/32 resin pylons in Link 1 are interesting.  The inboard ones look like they may be the correct shape.  I may try and scale and print that photo.  It doesn't say what mark of Hawk the pylons are for though, and as there are definitely some inboard pylons on some marks of Hawk that are different from the RAF ones - so it's a bit ambiguous..

That was Guy's @geedubelyer thread over on LSP, I remember using his BM thread as a reference early on in my build.  I never look at LSP; don't have enough time to look at everything I want to on BM as it is - and things have been made worse by being led to @Ex-FAAWAFU 's Ark Royal thread and @hendie's pullman thread.  Now I have to look at the maritime and vehicle forums as well!!

Link 4 was helpful as it took may to some plans by A Granger.  I already have page 1 of the plan which shows the gun pod - dunno where I found that - but didn't have page 2, which shows both inboard and outboard pylons.  Again the inboard ones look like they may be the correct shape.

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Steve, the Box art den has the Aeroguide on the Hawk available online, some pylon pics here;

Thanks Keith - nice detail photos on that first link.  Why can't they take photos from directly side on?  Is to too much to ask?

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

You're down to the last 20% that takes 80% of the time. 

The maths (or math if you prefer Bill) make(s) for a terrible conclusion.  If I started this thread in March 2015 (can't be true can it?) and only 20% of total time has elapsed  - I'm not sure we'll all still be here if and when its finished......

So........

I collected a few spare bits and bobs when I started the build and I have a couple of gun pods (I think from an old Airfix version (but might be an old Revell version) and the new Revell Hawk - but I don't actually remember) and a couple of sets of pylons (not sure from which kit).

I also found a decent, almost perfectly side-on, photo of a Hawk with pylons - and compared profiles (by opening the photo on my iPad, laying the pylon on top and expanding the photo to match pylon length).

Have to be a bit careful using the photo, as the light reflecting on the curve of the pylon is not the pylon outline - but at first sight looks like it is.....

This pylon (provenance unknown) doesn't look very good:

E71A3975-A4B0-4028-B2C4-E823EF63AA01_zps

Bin those I think........

This one (again provenance unknown) looks better:

C8550732-919B-4702-9086-A9BDA06AFB38_zps

Could maybe add a shim to the bottom to deepen it slightly and reprofile it slightly to make it work.  Then easy enough to scribe a few lines and add a few small details.  I've cast a couple of resin CBLS (based on the Flightpath white metal original) and when they and the pylon are fitted to the wings I don't think the pylon itself will be terribly noticeable; so as long as it's not visually offensive......

Both of the gun pods I've got could be a used:

This one (I think) is recent Revell;  good profile (compared with the Granger plan)

B092BB43-B85F-4BBA-A178-204A5C825D15_zps

Not perfect in plan view - but (i) I don't now how accurate the plan is and (ii) it's not bad and captures the feel of the thing adequately and (iii) I don't really care as it'll be seen from the side and not underneath and (iv) the sides are thick enough that I could improve matters by thinning it down a little in front of and behind the bulge if I really have to.....

DD9EE11D-0F7A-408C-9871-B1724C8F6216_zps

The other one is an older and simpler moulding (can't remember its provenance - may be original airfix) - but the profile is just as good (I'll be replacing the gun barrel cover with tube of some sort in both cases anyway)

8BB29752-869B-47A5-96BF-3DDE93472E53_zps

And is perhaps better in plan view.  Against that it's not a terribly well defined shape and is made of quite hard plastic which wouldn't be very easy to scribe.

4323EA5A-F3E6-408B-BED6-058A03BBC8ED_zps

I'll probably do a bit of work on both and choose which one I like best......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Turns out I have that book on the bookshelf.......

Well not as bad as me. I have to confess that at the age of 65 (tomorrow to be precise) I have actually been guilty of buying a book that I already have. I think its cos my head is so full of super wisdom type stuff, there is little room for mere trivia ............ 🤪

Terry

• Haha 7

On 9/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I know what you mean; as long as there were ships and/or aircraft types I’d used still in service, I could kid myself that I wasn’t 100% old git.  

Ark Royal was the last of my ships to survive.  Then the Sea King went.  Then the Lynx.  The FAA Museum now contains three airframes in my logbook (a Gazelle, a Lynx & a Sea King). 

Old. 

Hey there must be a couple of RFAs still knocking about that you did DLPs on ? 

ARGUS and the two original FORTs

DLPs deck landing practice sorry too many TLA 

Edited by junglierating

45 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I have actually been guilty of buying a book that I already have.

I seem to have 2 copies of the Macchi M5 Windsock datafile. Not quite sure how that happened......

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Hey there must be a couple of RFAs still knocking about that you did DLPs on ? 

ARGUS and the two original FORTs

DLPs deck landing practice sorry too many TLA 

Good point.  Not Argus - I was one of the last of the Engadine generation!  But Fort Grange & Austin, if they’re still going.  What happened to the Portland Dummy Deck?  Is that still in service!?

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

at the age of 65 (tomorrow to be precise) I have actually been guilty of buying a book that I already have.

I didn't have to get anywhere near that age before doing that. More than once....

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Terry, have a good one! 🎂 :cheers:

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, keefr22 said:

I didn't have to get anywhere near that age before doing that. More than once....

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Terry, have a good one! 🎂 :cheers:

Keith

I'm not yet 50 and it has already occurred to me ... at least once ... :banghead:

Happy birthday for tomorrow from me too, Terry :cheers:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Old. 

Think yourself lucky Crisp.  Not only have the aircraft I worked on been resigned to the scrap heap. The stations I served on no longer exist either. 

Come to think of it - even the lowly rank has been removed from the food chain and relegated to the dusts of time.  

Better keep an eye on my posts - I may start to disappe...

tenor.gif

oh... looking forward to some podding coming this way

• Haha 6