A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

isn’t a hobby supposed to be stress relieving not inducing!!

Indeed! :rofl: But the result is totally worth it, amazing and neat! :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

3 more to go.....isn’t a hobby supposed to be stress relieving not inducing!!

Excellent result. Stressful during fabrication I'm sure, but doesn't it feel good when its done!

Terry

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hendie said:

The next time you do thon etching malarkey, if you're doing grills - copy the outline, add a smidge of space to make it a tad larger, and use that to etch a custom scribing template

That is a cracking idea :clap2:.......and only two years late :whistle:

Joking aside, that’s a really good idea because, as we all know, it’s much easier to scribe around the inside of a cut out template than around the outside of a small shape.  Must try and remember that....

One other thought I had for any future small recessed brass grilles etc, based on @Airgunner‘s technique, was to etch a blank of the grille (I.e. the shape without the grilles), P’raps in thicker and so more robust brass, and then heating it and pressing it gently into the surface to create a shallow recess.  Somewhat as I did with the NACA ducts but to less depth.  Remember them?

Hope to do the other 3 grilles this afternoon.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Somewhat as I did with the NACA ducts.  Remember them?

Pre-dated the time I regularly hung around on here but just checked that out. What a perfectly splendid way of doing those ducts. So many aircraft have/had those in various sizes, that's such a neat solution. Stored away for when I next need some of these. I agree it could work for your grille as well.

Terry

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Positively the Savoy of grill(e)s.  

What have sausages got to do with it?

Bloody good work anyway, sausages or not!

Ian

• Haha 4

Good, very good question H

They look rather enticing Steve, should one perhaps post to Yorkshire two CH-47 engine pods and some Airwaves grilles that you might be persuaded to Fritag into position?

Hmm

Mr Surfacer?

Looks even better than Mr Dissolved Putty which I am beginning to really like using, so much that I will need another jar from 'A Trader At Telford'

I just wish there were legible information instructions on the jars...

Anyway digression over, just wow, very smart

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hendie said:

how come your close-ups never end up looking like the lunar landscapes that mine do ?

It's because he photoshops real aircraft into the pictures and re-colours them to make them look like models. Obvs.

Real models have fingerprints, canyon panel lines & thick canopies and can't be photographed at less than quarter of a mile away through fog.

• Haha 6

Airbrushed some decanted tamiya rattle-can white primer on the grills to see how they looked and what further finessing was required.

I was worried that they'd end up being too visually prominent, but I think they're ok.

I'm pleased that Bill was serendipitously doing grilles on his chinook.  Otherwise I'd have just stuck mine on top without thinking about it.

Mind you, I wasn't pleased with Bill when I was painstakingly chiseling away at the third of four grille recesses.  At that point I was thinking why did he have to mention it at all.........

It's his fault I started vac-forming canopies and all sorts of stuff.  Basically it's his fault.....

7A38B8C3-046F-4BBE-8922-14059879A66B_zps

689C5039-9467-4F61-B9F9-0DF12DEEFFC6_zps

B0A74196-C7BA-4214-BCBD-E95577369790_zps

383F318E-BD01-4698-BAE0-75C8F988234C_zps

• Like 11

It’s a bit like that wacky “what would Jesus do?” movement in the States a few years back, only adjusted for BM: “It’s Bill’s fault”.  

Works for me.

I’m with Hendie; comparing your immaculate close-up Hawks with barely a hint of stray glue, scratches from slipped scalpel/chisel, or smears of filler... with the wreckage of Ark Royal seen in close-up elsewhere on this forum... how the Hell do you do it?

• Haha 7

Bill's fault, yeah .... :rofl: Thank goodness, if it brought to this result! :clap: 

14 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

how the Hell do you do it?

You remember the guy is often on holiday? When he's back to the bench, he's as fresh as a daisy. Simples.

:rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Poor Bill! He's a nice man, a very nice man! I spring to his defence with something pointy… beware!

Lovely grills but I'm with hendie and Crisp though Steve - how do you keep things so tidy? For example:

29 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Airbrushed some decanted tamiya rattle-can white primer on the grills…

Oh yeah? Where are the bits of random spray then and why aren't there any lumps?

Impressive as always. Sickening, but impressive. I doff my hat to you matey, again :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It’s a bit like that wacky “what would Jesus do?” movement in the States a few years back, only adjusted for BM: “It’s Bill’s fault”.  

Works for me.

I’m with Hendie; comparing your immaculate close-up Hawks with barely a hint of stray glue, scratches from slipped scalpel/chisel, or smears of filler... with the wreckage of Ark Royal seen in close-up elsewhere on this forum... how the Hell do you do it?

Not knowing the answer to this I fear to provide photography of a certain bescratchered Chinwokka anymore

How the hell?

I don't know but I suppose it gives me another thing to aspire to/fear...

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Oh yeah? Where are the bits of random spray then and why aren't there any lumps?

There were Ced, there were :D(note to self - clean the airbrush more often and more attentively)- they just got a severe case of micro-mesh.......And it's just that I'm anal enough to tidy up as I go along rather than leaving it to the end..... 

Actually.  I was to begin with a little bit unhappy with the depth and obviousness of the scribed edge/gap of the recess around the grille; so I reduced the depth/filled the gap using a brush dipped in the decanted Tamiya white primer and allowing capillary action to draw the primer off the brush into the gap.  I did this several times (it dries very quickly) and it nicely reduced the depth/partially reduced the gap.

So - just tackled and issue that's been troubling me.

For some reason the outer wing tips of the Hawks have drooped/curved down a little.  As here:

1141110C-329F-4405-AFCF-6FA8B88C887D_zps

578E39CA-286F-4782-8B5C-D53FEDBC64D6_zps

Not hugely and not terribly obviously unless you sight along them (I wonder now if they were like that from when I first glued them together?)

But just at that sort of extent that makes you think: am I imagining it? Do I need to bother doing anything about it? etc etc.

Anyways.  It bugged me.  And that sense of being bugged increased so I did something about it.

I dipped each wing into a cup of freshly boiled water for c.30 secs and then gently straightened it between my fingers and held the wing under the cold tap.

Took a couple of goes, but it has straightened out.

911C2E34-BC2A-4585-96D0-31A50AFE23F0_zps

5577DB27-D5D9-44A4-BD06-94C2E0E676FC_zps

Actually the aileron tip now curves slightly up!  But I can straighten that without recourse to heat.

Thankfully no added-on etch or resin bits were sacrificed in the making of this production......

Hope the correction is permanent....

I did practise first on a bit of Airfix plastic to make sure it was feasible.

Done one Hawk and I'll do the second if it looks as if the correction on the first one holds.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 10

Ah, taking photos at the end - great tip! :D 

Those wings have probably drooped from being left too long on a sunny bench? :wicked:

Good recovery though Steve, hopefully they'll stay straight… fingers crossed.

• Haha 3