A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Dug out some of the wing vortex generators I etched in a previous life....(so long ago the brass has tarnished and now needs cleaning!)

They look superb. Vgs are such a challenge to place. I have to confess I missed them off the rear inner tailplanes of my F-86H, cos it was too difficult! I'll have to man up to the task though as I have several models in the stash that will need them done proper.

Glueing them in is the main fear for me, not so much the positioning, that you have nailed, but the actual glue to use and how to deal with excess if that occurs. Yuk!

Will watch with bated breath and interest, as well as much envy no doubt when the job is done.

Terry

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

What sticky stuff did you use Bill?  I’m thinking CA but fear the speed of cure.......

Hi Steve.

In case of so small stuff, I use some enamel paint or Mr. Surfacer. Just let evaporate a while before applying.

Always following with great interest your progress.

Regards

Eugenio

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 72linerlover said:

In case of so small stuff, I use some enamel paint or Mr. Surfacer. Just let evaporate a while before applying.

That sounds like a great advice, Euge! Thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

Also, winning the lottery!!!🤩

Not true. It's being a lawyer! 

At least judging by the semi-permanent skiing/cycling/insert-other-vacation-here type stuff that's been going on hereabouts!

(Yes, we're jealous!)

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

Hi Steve.

Eugenio

Great tip Eugenio, thanks.

Gonna try that when I fix some of the small flat bits of etch.  I’ve used Klear in the past in a similar fashion but I can see Mr Surfacer giving a stronger bond.

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

At least judging by the semi-permanent skiing/cycling/insert-other-vacation-here type stuff that's been going on hereabouts!

Ah, but if you were a lawyer you’d look for any excuse to get away from lawyering too! 

First wing has its vortex generators:

F342B1EF-2C4E-4E2A-B649-E7F3BDDC19C2_zps

Quite pleased.

E37A96EF-F297-4883-99A8-56ADD2FAE85C_zps

Used medium CA in the end.  Let a drop thicken slightly, and then picked up a small droplet on the end of a VG stub before popping it into place.

Drew parallel lines on the wings in pencil to help orientate the VGs.

When the CA has fully cured, I’ll use a diamond file to neaten them a bit more and square them all up.

• Like 17

Very, very neat job, Steve! :worthy:

I've said it already along your WIP, but I know how small these HAWKS are in this scale, having seen Silvano's one "in person". What you are doing with these never ceases to amaze me. :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, giemme said:

The windshield(s) looks excellent, Steve, clear and crisp

Who is this Clear bloke?  And thanks, but I had nowt to do with Monsieur Vendredi’s work.  

Oh.  I see.

VG VGs, Steve, by the way. 

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:
23 hours ago, giemme said:

The windshield(s) looks excellent, Steve, clear and crisp

Who is this Clear bloke?  And thanks, but I had nowt to do with Monsieur Vendredi’s work.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves......:)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I kinda knew this was coming, when I chose that adjective .... :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’m just impressed that an Italian understands the [dialect] word “nowt”!

I've probably been hanging around here too much.... :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, hendie said:

I can hardly see them even on a 20 something inch monitor

:D

Putting hendie’s rhetorical hyperbole (or need to go to specsavers) to one side, they are quite small :).

IIRC they’re 0.5mm tall and 1mm long at the base, with a 0.3mm wide locating stub:

FC495599-63A7-44DD-AAF2-46D77499C9AF_zps

I can’t easily think of another way of producing something like this, where a lot of identical small flat bits are needed, other than home brew etching.  I tried cutting them from lead foil etc but couldn’t get 2 the same or any this small.....

It was fun and a bit of a pain, but ultimately not as difficult as I thought it would be, to do the etching.  So go on.  You know you want to!

As they say - if I can do it......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Fritag said:

can’t easily think of another way of producing something like this, where a lot of identical small flat bits are needed, other than home brew etching.

It was fun and a bit of a pain, but ultimately not as difficult as I thought it would be, to do the etching.  So go on.  You know you want to!

As they say - if I can do it......

Looking at the pictures in post 2931, your method and result looks spot on, love it. I might be brave enough to try it one day............!

Terry

The peg is the key.  I discovered this - largely by accident, if I remember right - during my Vixen build (ridiculously small shark’s fin IFF aerials, I think).  To have any chance of staying in place, you have to give the poor brass/glue something to grip; a teeny-tiny butt joint isn’t going to cut it.

Yours are exemplary, as ever, Mr Neat

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

P.S. a glorious hint of HGW rivet winking at us from the right of picture.  Perfect for the scale.

I see those now. As you say perfect. Something else I'm going to need to try. 

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I see those now. As you say perfect. Something else I'm going to need to try. 

They are great, but not simple.  Read this Hawk thread & my ZE419 Sea King thread for the full gory details!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

my ZE419 Sea King thread for the full gory details!

Look what I found!

He was only on Part 1 page 86 (of 103) at the time!

Back in the long hot summer of '17 when riveting was, well, riveting (or maybe not) and anyone who was anyone (well, Crisp and me anyway) were riveting (but only in the sense of applying rivets).....

As it happens, I bow to Crisp as the rivetmeister (questions on a postcard to @Ex-FAAWAFU)- I only suffered through a a couple of Hawk rear-ends; whilst he mastered an entire airframe (and with all due respect the Seaking, whilst handsome, it is not particularly lithe and so has a lot of airframe....).

I 'spect he was seeing HGW rivets before his eyes for months afterwards.....

And seems to have retained particular astuteness to spotting them to this day :)

Part 2 is I believe hangered (temporarily one hopes) on page 16 (aggregate 119):

Anyone up for a petition to get him started on it again? :wicked:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4